Status
Not open for further replies.
Many cars in that article I lOVE!!

Montero
Fiero
Bonneville
Daytona
CRX

Caprice and Crown Vic are probably the two most indestructible cars on the planet.

VW Bugs poor in ice & snow?? I remember way back in the pre-front wheel drive days, when it snowed &/or iced up down here, they were about the most capable thing on the roads!

I glanced through most of the pics, and decided to quit.

I'd say it's written by someone who knows nothing about cars, and yet want to have a say (trying to make a statement, which is very lame consider how much most of the comments were "off the mark"...

Utter waste of internet bandwidth and resource, and most important of all, time.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
"The Celebrity came out in the 60s as a station wagon..." Say what??

It obviously wasn't the same car, but Oldsmobile used the Celebrity name on a series of 88s back in the early 1960s. I think they were sedans, though, and not wagons.

Not only poor choice in cars, but the writing is awful. "Known for exploding on rear impact, the safety risks were plentiful." No, dummy, the risks were not known for exploding on impact, the car was (if it was -- I thought that was the Pinto?).

"It came with a hatchback that many people didn’t like. Consequently, it did win best-selling car a couple times before it disappeared from sight." No, dummy: When you use "Consequently" like that, it means that whatever you're about to say was a consequence, a direct result, of what you said before. But if "many people didn't like" the hatchback, then it wouldn't have won "best-selling car," would it? You meant "Oddly."

And the K-cars "were ugly to the look"? Did you mean "ugly to the max"? That at least would have been in keeping with the Eighties theme.

I suspect this writer's first language is not English.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
You know, this makes me wonder how often cars are deemed "unreliable" simply because they tended to be owned by ignorant, inattentive people...

Completely agree that at least a few of those cars have no place on a list like this.

I've wondered this myself.

For example - Toyota and Lexus. Both built by the same company and sharing probably quite a few of the same parts. Yet Lexus generally outranks Toyota on reliability.

Are they really better build and more reliable (despite the added complexities of all the luxury features), or are people who put $60k into a car more likely to maintain their vehicles than someone who made a $25k purchase? Or maybe the average Lexus owner drives more "gently" than a Toyota owner?

What is the sales #'s for Lexus vs Toyota? More sales, more complaints even with the same failure rate. Lexus probably has a lower rate (higher cost vehicle so they spend more money to reduce complaints); that times lower sales numbers would lead to a higher perception of quality.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Not only poor choice in cars, but the writing is awful. "Known for exploding on rear impact, the safety risks were plentiful." No, dummy, the risks were not known for exploding on impact, the car was (if it was -- I thought that was the Pinto?).

"It came with a hatchback that many people didn’t like. Consequently, it did win best-selling car a couple times before it disappeared from sight." No, dummy: When you use "Consequently" like that, it means that whatever you're about to say was a consequence, a direct result, of what you said before. But if "many people didn't like" the hatchback, then it wouldn't have won "best-selling car," would it? You meant "Oddly."

And the K-cars "were ugly to the look"? Did you mean "ugly to the max"? That at least would have been in keeping with the Eighties theme.

I suspect this writer's first language is not English.

This stuff gets to me, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back