I made the switch to pennzoil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running either 0w40 or a 50/50 blend of mobil1 0w40 and 15w50 in my zuke for the last 15k. 5k indicated oil changes...so 7000ish actual. Blended the two because the 15w50 was super cheap but a little too thick.

I've liked the oil, and it has certainly cleaned out the sludge.

When I went to buy more, my local walmart has stopped carrying 0w oils...so no 0w40. The only close option was 5w30 pennzoil platinum.

I usually run something a little thicker in these motors because they run very high rpm and the thicker weights seem to quiet em down.

Put the 5w30 in expecting it to rattle a lot...and quite the opposite. The pennzoil certainly quieted it down.

I'll switch back to a 10w40 after the winter only in pennzoil... we'll see if it works even better.

I'm not one to shout say an oil brand quiets a motor, but it is noticeable enough for my wife to comment without knowing anything different.

I very often perceive a difference with different motor oils. I personally believe it to be due to the additive packages used by different brands. I don't believe that it's viscosity...noise on certain oils seems to be relatively constant across a wide range of oil temperatures, meaning the actual running viscosity is all over the place. Pennzoil conventional oils run very quiet in our cars. Our CR-V's engine is louder on Pennzoil synthetic oils. Our MDX's engine is quiet on everything. Different engines seem to respond differently.

I've ran MaxLife twice in our Honda, 5W-20 both times. Was very happy with it the first time. It seemed louder the second time. Months later, it was pointed out here that Valvoline had changed the additive package in MaxLife. I didn't know it at the time, but my ears heard the difference. The very loudest oil in our Honda is PP 0W-20. It's stone quiet on PYB 5W-20. My wife commented on it, and she has no idea what oil is in the sump.

Will be pouring in Peak 0W-20 in about 800 miles. I'm excited to see how quiet it is (or isn't).

Originally Posted By: Danno
I'd run 5W-30 PP year around and sleep well at night.

You might...but I won't. 5w30 is rated only to 56 degrees or so by suzuki. And they only rate 10w30 to 86ish. Only recommendation I've ever seen that acknowledges sheering.

If they say that, I'm prone to believe em.

Recently towing telephone poles down pipelines in 4Low for 5 miles or so. 1st gear, 4k rpm...for half an hour.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I very often perceive a difference with different motor oils. I personally believe it to be due to the additive packages used by different brands. I don't believe that it's viscosity...noise on certain oils seems to be relatively constant across a wide range of oil temperatures, meaning the actual running viscosity is all over the place. Pennzoil conventional oils run very quiet in our cars. Our CR-V's engine is louder on Pennzoil synthetic oils. Our MDX's engine is quiet on everything. Different engines seem to respond differently.

I've ran MaxLife twice in our Honda, 5W-20 both times. Was very happy with it the first time. It seemed louder the second time. Months later, it was pointed out here that Valvoline had changed the additive package in MaxLife. I didn't know it at the time, but my ears heard the difference. The very loudest oil in our Honda is PP 0W-20. It's stone quiet on PYB 5W-20. My wife commented on it, and she has no idea what oil is in the sump.

Will be pouring in Peak 0W-20 in about 800 miles. I'm excited to see how quiet it is (or isn't).

I have heard something along the lines of the "quality" of the additives package possibly affecting this quietness or smoothness in engines, but i have no concrete testing or evidence to prove that,,,

So I ask, is there a possibility of difference in the quality of the additives being used between the two motor oil manufactures, because numbers wise the analysis of the oils appear to be close enough for me to say that they all contain about the same moly and zinc which are the two i looked at.

And if so is this difference in quality of additives, dependent on suppliers and could it regional thing causing this to be a hit miss as to what you are getting across the country or world for that matter?

Last edited:
If moly is moly and zinc is zinc and all other additives are the same quality wise, then the difference is in the viscosity of the oils.

Pyb has been quiet when I used it in the past. By far the quietest oils I've used have been valvoline synpower, Mobil super 5000, and motorcraft blend. In that order. My armada is dead quiet on synpower, and noisiest on QSUD. I doubt there is much difference in wear however.

Last edited:
The Pennzoil should do fine.

But other auto parts stores have attractive deals on the motor oil(s) you've been using.

Shop Advance Auto instead and get some free M1 filters to boot.

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
If moly is moly and zinc is zinc and all other additives are the same quality wise, then the difference is in the viscosity of the oils.

There are countless more variables than that. You could build a premiuam lubricant without utilizing earth metal compounds and it would likely OUTPERFORM the over-additised product in most avery category. Oh Fuchs did and it does
smile.gif

Remember there are all flavours of oil basestocks.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat

You might...but I won't. 5w30 is rated only to 56 degrees or so by suzuki. And they only rate 10w30 to 86ish. Only recommendation I've ever seen that acknowledges sheering.

Recently towing telephone poles down pipelines in 4Low for 5 miles or so. 1st gear, 4k rpm...for half an hour.

Ah. With that kind of severe service usage, in Louisiana, you might be wise to go thicker. (And use synthetic tranny fluid.) Though I can say that I never had a problem running 5w-30 in summer, with temps in the 90s F. There is a certain shear factor threshold built in, as I understand it.

But on the thread topic: My current fill of PP is the first time I've used PP and I am happy with it. QS Defy might have been a tiny bit quieter, but no big difference. Driving a Saturn S in a northern PA winter, I worry about oil consumption and cold-weather starts. If it's quiet, so much the better.

If you like PP, get to Kmart by tomorrow and stock up. Their sale ends 11/1, plus the rebate ends I think 11/30....

Not sure what you are referring to with Suzuki's reco - a link would be appreciated.

So, in other words, a SG, or SH dino 10W-40, will perform better in your 1995 Suzuki than a SN 5W-30 synthetic such as PP at Suzuki's temp ranges?
Not even remotely likely.

No, in other words, a key board warrior claims to know more than the team of engineers who realized this particular engine sheers the living [censored] out of oil.

Even in later applications running the same bottom end, they never specced a 5w30 oil.

I agree Suzuki,don't go thinner than oem spec. I have a Nissan TSB saved where they say "Nissan recommends 5W30 in all vehicles except 300ZX" (they spec 10W30 for fuel economy,and 10W40-20W50 for racing and extended high speed driving. These cars spin 3000-3500rpm going 70mph. Friend of mine blew two engines in his 300ZX twin turbo tracking with M1 5W30. Switched to Quaker State 10W40,then M1 10W40 and is still tracking/racing/drag racing that same engine (he took that engine out and put it in a 300ZX convertible body). He'd gotten hit in the previous car,so he found a convertible shell and swapped his engine/tranny into it.

I did a UOA on RP 20W50 and my car sheared it down to a 10W40 weight in only 3000 miles.

No, in other words, a key board warrior claims to know more than the team of engineers who realized this particular engine sheers the living [censored] out of oil.

Even in later applications running the same bottom end, they never specced a 5w30 oil.

So much drama over a ... Suzuki ... lol.

Did you happen to post that here?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I did a UOA on RP 20W50 and my car sheared it down to a 10W40 weight in only 3000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back