K&N Powersports Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in the process of performing an oil change on my motorcycle i peered into a k&n oil filter. I noticed a very large amount of glue which prompted me to take a closer look. It turns out that there are two jagged pieces of metal hanging by a thread, i could probably pull them off. The center tube is also distorted from when it was cut. What do you guys think? Not something that should be there on a $15 oil filter.

No way! Return it and get a better filter. I only use Amsoil filters on my 2009 Harley and have never had an issue with their oil or filters. Filters should cost the same, but from research I have done, the Amsoil filters are much better than the K&N filters.

I called them, sent them photos and I am awaiting their call, didn't seem too important to them. Not surprising, they are made in China. And i actually have 4 of these and there are varying degrees of distortion and loose metal. Makes me question what the side i can't see looks like.

Last edited:
They are sending me new ones...hopefully they will be problem free. Not very confidence inspiring.

Time to look at different brand filter options.
grin.gif

I am some what limited, oe length filters hit my aftermarket headers. In this case the fact that k&n is 1/2" shorter actually benefits. Not sure what others i can run with my clearance issues

Sadly this is what has become of K&N's powersport filter line. The excess adhesive located at the bottom of their filters around the bypass valve is quite common throughout a variety of filter models. They have now moved production to China but are still manufactured by Hiflofiltero (same part numbers, dimentions, filter media color, and now Hiflo's latest racing filters have the exact same 15 mm nut on the end of the filter to easily wrench off). The primary difference between the two is that K&N utilizes a "part synthetic media" which is more than likely glass enhanced cellulose. Sadly with no beta ratios listed or upon request, and the use of nitrile anti-drainback valve, they're sadly over priced at $15 a pop; although it seems customer service is still a high priority.

[censored] !! I just took a look at 6 KN- 138 that I bought some time back and it all look the same as the 2 pics on top. Should I continue to use it ??

To a degree the distortion and glue isnt what bothers me. It is the potential for these loose shards to dislodge. So if they dont look "loose" i'd say you are OK. Correct me if i am wrong but the flow is from the outside in, with high pressures and fluid motion, these are likely to find their way into your engine

Last edited:
All my 6 KN-138 are made in China as well. I have used 3 of them so far with no problem. After finishing all, back to OEM oil filter for me.

A FRAM is a better bet for your powersports application.

For my Road King Classic, an OEM Harley filter is cheaper online than the K&N and is a great filter.

FRAM may actually build it.

K&N is currently cashing in on its Champ built past.

It's just a matter of time before everyone realizes it.

K&N oil filters were at one time manufactured by Champion Laboratories and were basically identical to Mobil 1 and Royal Purple filters. At that time they were well-regarded, but overpriced. When Champion was bought out and merged with FRAM, K&N pulled their business and outsourced it to Korea, according to Jay Buckley (Motorking), who works for FRAM.

Apparently the quality has fallen, but their prices haven't. Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back