Flag etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
JROTC kid, picture taken in uniform, holding baby atop Old Glory.

Just curious to read your thoughts:

A. Awesome, super patriotic!

B. Disrespectful (technical answer, fwiw)

C. Who cares, not a big deal

D. Other (explain)

B

I don't fly the flag since I could not properly respect and care for it. Eg light at night, take down daily etc, fold properly.

My grandfather is a World War II vet (B17 crew officer/weather) and instilled lots of these values into me.

B

Not something I'm going to get up in arms over, as I'm sure no disrespect was intended, but shouldn't someone in JROTC know how to handle the flag?

I went to a very liberal public elementary school in the 1990s, and even there they taught us the procedures for handling a US flag. Different classes would go out and raise it every morning and take it down at the end of the day, and of course fold it properly. I'm guessing this does not happen anymore?

Putting babies on flags for pictures seems a little trashy anyway, even putting official procedures for handling a US flag aside.

Here is a short list of "don't's" from usflag.org:
1. The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
2. The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
3. The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
4. The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
5. The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
6. The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

Using it as a decorative background for the baby might fall into #2 above (using as decoration in general). Bunting would be more appropriate.

I've always felt that Americans have died defending the flag in all kinds of weather, day and night, so I fly my flag above my garage door day and night in all kinds of weather 24/7....etiquette be dam?ed!

I read long ago the proper flag etiquette, and tried to follow it. After 9/11 though the flag seemed to pop up everywhere. At first I wasn't sure about it, as it seemed to be decorative. But then it seemed to help show solidarity as the country recovered.

I still don't like having the flag pop up all over the place, it seems like a decoration rather than a mark of distinction. But for some it's not decoration. It's how they show that they want to live in this country and unders ideals. I just don't feel a need to put that label onto my stuff to have the same beliefs. I also think that, when it shows up everywhere, it loses its impact too.

I did put a flag on my house when I bought the house. One of these days I'll get it lit up properly. For some reason I thought it important to have it displayed there, yet not displayed on my lapel or on the back window of my car.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Where is the picture ?

Yeah, I would like to see the picture before commenting.

The picture is of a family member, though it doesn't show his face. He's in uniform, covered, and holding a baby in his arms, atop Old Glory. His head is tilted and the picture is really well done.

I asked my family member about it, and he said he loved the photo, and that no disrespect was intended (obviously.) I replied that it's almost acceptable for us civvies to make these kinds of mistakes in the name of patriotism, but not this young man in uniform.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back