The Ammunition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a case of PMC .223 for $315 to the door. From I read PMC is pretty good stuff. Will be using it in the new ARs soon.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Never done a chrono or serious accuracy test, but shoot PPU at the range fairly often and never had a problem. Good prices too, just bought 500 rounds of PPU 30-06 for my Garand for about $360.

I've been satisfied with the 7.62 Tok and 7mm mauser from PPU.
smile.gif

Did some "ballistics testing" on the 10mm 180-gr. Gold Dot Hollow Point (1300 FPS advertised) offering from Underwood Ammunition today.

These were fired into a 5-gallon plastic water jug. Some of them have an expanded diameter of over 1" from petal to petal!

For my p226, I run either 124+P or 147gr hst

for the 1911 operator, is 230+p hst

for my AR, i run bonded federal soft point 62gr

and finally the shotgun, federal le low recoil 00 buck follow by LE 1 oz low recoil slugs.

Originally Posted By: sky06
For my p226, I run either 124+P or 147gr hst

for the 1911 operator, is 230+p hst

for my AR, i run bonded federal soft point 62gr

and finally the shotgun, federal le low recoil 00 buck follow by LE 1 oz low recoil slugs.

You got a good source for that Federal HST +P?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Did some "ballistics testing" on the 10mm 180-gr. Gold Dot Hollow Point (1300 FPS advertised) offering from Underwood Ammunition today.

Underwood ammo, double tap, and buffalo bore are famous for pushing a cartridge to its limits. What they have really done is push a bullet past it design limitations to the failure point. Many of your bullets appear to have failed, although water is very aggressive and they might have done better through flesh or ballistic gel. That Speer gold dot bullet is a 180 grain .40 caliber bullet that was designed by Speer to go about 1000 fps out of a .40. It has clearly been pushed past its design limits.

Speer spends years designing and developing a load and their science is spot on. I tend to stick with Speer, Federal, and Winchester factory loads that the three nuclear options above. Although with 10mm, it is really an overlooked, under developed caliber by the big three and their arn't too many good factory loads.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Many of your bullets appear to have failed, although water is very aggressive and they might have done better through flesh or ballistic gel.

I agree; although the "headless gingerbread man" is unique. I would question the retained weight of those bullets. My guess is they are no where near the original weights and though I would not want to be shot with them, the performance appears to be far from optimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back