Anyone using Hornady Custom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a $75 ****'s Sporting Goods gift card (well, not anymore!) and I bought four boxes (25 rounds each) of Hornady Custom loaded with their 124 grain XTP JHP 9mm bullet. They were on sale for $18 each, but all their pistol ammo is buy one get one 50% off. So I walked out with 100 rounds of this stuff for about 57 bucks.

It looks like good stuff. Anyone using it?

I keep this loaded up in my 9mm Shield. I bought one box in January for like $15 or so. I shot a magazine worth of it and it functioned just fine.

The XTP is a decent bullet in certain applications, but it is certainly not the most advanced design out there.

For personal protection, I'd be looking at the hornady critical duty, federal HST, speer gold dot, or winchester ranger t/pdx1.

Yeah it's an ok bullet. I would feel fine carrying them. But there is better stuff out there, for the same price and cheaper. Might as well carry the better bullet, especially if the price is cheaper or similar.

In .380, xtp is considered the best load there is. In 9mm, not so much.

XTP's are an old design, but, like hammers; they keep selling because people keep buying. Why do they buy? Because a significant number of people think that they work. Hits count more than any other factor, as you no doubt know.
Another thing to think about is the requirement you have for the bullet. Police have a need to defeat barriers, but why would we? If someone is coming after you, they are likely not hiding behind a barrier and firing over/around it towards you. The bullet needed should expand at handgun velocities reliably. Since all of them mentioned show (to me) impressive expansion, I can't see how one type would be vastly superior to any other in improving lethality in a human target.

I am carrying XTP's loaded by Black Hills in my .380 right now. There are some good points to the XTP. They are reliable expanders, reasonably priced and they have a narrower, more tapered nose that feeds very easily and may be just the ticket for fussy guns.

XTP's may not be as glamorous as some of the violent expanding huge gap hollow points mentioned, but I sure wouldn't want to be shot with one!

From the ammo ballistics tests I've watched, Hornady bullets tend not to expand as much as hollowpoints from other OEMs. But they also tend to have pretty deep penetration. Im assuming that's why its considered a good .380 choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back