Australian Drag Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAV TV sometimes shows some ANDRA racing, which is cool for me, since I like drag racing. I was just watching one that I think was from Alice Springs (sounded like they were saying "Alasprings". It was really interesting watching cars I know nothing about racing each other. I really don't know anything about Holden Toranas, except that there are a lot of them on the drag strips. Then there was something called a Gemini, which ended up racing a Torana in the final.

I got a kick out of the commentary, since the Aussies have their own accent, of course. For instance, I thought at first they were saying that someone was "light on the start", but I realized they were saying "late". They also pronounce Celica, "Seleeka." At one point, when a driver broke out (it was bracket-style racing), I think the commentator said, "Well, that'll rot your socks." Not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good. Also, when one of them mentioned that they saw a lot of people wearing hoodies, the other said, yeah, people expect it to be hot in the desert. The first one responded, "Well, certainly not in July!" which of course sounds funny in North America.

I'm glad that MAV TV and a few others are bringing different kinds of racing to TV. ANDRA is pretty cool, and I like the Late Model Dirt Series (USA, not Australian) quite a bit.

Holden Toranas evolved from the British Vauxhal Viva, Vauxhaul being part of GM Global. Viva was a typical British 4 cylinder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Torana

The "Persian Sand" on at the top of the wiki article is same as my first car (138 ci straight 6, and auto)

With that model, they extended the wheelbase, installed 6 cylinders 138, 161, and 186 CI...they had GTR (161 with twin barrel carby and reasonable headers), and GTR-XU1 (186 with machined heads, big valves, cam, and triple carbs)

Next model on, LJ, they still had 138, but went to 173, and 202 c.i....the 202 was essentially a 186 with an extra 1/4" stroke. The XU1 version was a hot 202 (45/85 cam is pretty gnarly at one point), triple 1-3/4" Stromberg carbs, and absolutely screamed.

After that they went to a more Opel shape for the LH, LX, and UC toranas...they also had a V-8 option on the LH/LX (1.9L 4 cyl, 173ci, 202 c.i. six, and 253 or 308 c.i. V-8)

I've had a few
LC 138 c.i. and auto
LJ 186, built the engine myself, 30/60 cam, triple 1-3/4 Su carbs...130MPH was hairy.
UC 202 (208 c.i., bored 0.060 over, 24/64, 28/58 cam), was a great OTR vehicle.
LX 308
LH 253 (SLR 5000 body kit like on wiki)
LJ GTR-XU1, was a disappointment after my own built LJ, if I'd have kept it, would be a $1/4M richer.

"Gemini", you would probably know as the Chevette I think, an Isuzu, came in sedan, coupe, panel delivery and 2 door station wagon (diesel option on the sedan).

Yep, that's how you say Celica.

"Rot your socks" is an expression of disappointment.

Very informative, Shannow. We say SELLeca here. Seems like those Toranas are everywhere in Oz.

They also had a class called Supercharged Outlaw that was pretty cool. They seem to be alcohol cars of various configurations.

I like hearing the different ways that English is spoken. I'm sure there's more than one Australian accent, just as there are numerous accents in the UK.

Strange how different cars are down there.

The Toranas are getting rare and expensive.

Weigh either just under/over a ton with the 6 in it, 4 link rear end, unequal wishbones front (later models), upper wishbone and control arm/radius rod on the LC/LJ...4 wheel disks in the UCs.

When I got the E30, I was on the hunt for a Torana, and they could be had for $5,000Oz, while E30s with the works were 2 grand cheaper.

I haven't seen a Torana for years. The first version wasn't popular here because it sat at the GM dealership next to the identical Viva - why would you? The next version was it's own make, but in Kiwi eyes too big for the 4 cyl and too small for the 6 cyl. The last model (LH) with the Opel engine was a better fit for us, the 6 cyl being not very common. Then they put the Starfire engine in it and called it the Sunbird, not a popular car at all.

Last one I worked on was an Opel powered LH that I converted to a 186 for a customer. Rather than just drop a 6 into it like most did, I fitted the 6 cyl front crossmember for the brakes and suspension, and it also set the engine further back, and fitted the 6 cyl rear end too...and then a Celica gearbox. I guess that's Suleeka from us. One of those jobs you take on when it's a bit quiet, I shouldn't of got involved.

Stelth, this one was my second car.

lj.jpg

Was set up for roundabouts and being a 20 year old on public roads.

Noice. My second car was a 1970 Ford LTD with the 429-2V. Not a top-end screamer, but a low-end torque monster. Had lots of good times in that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back