2015 Accord Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my dad just traded in his 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid, had it for 51 weeks, put on 42k miles. Just traded it in for a fully loaded 2015 Honda Accord hybrid. Anybody heard much about these Accord hybrids yet or still just too new?

What kind of hybrid system/transmission Accord hybrid has? Is it similar to Toyota hybrid system with an ICE + 2x electric motors coupled with a planetary gearset?

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
What kind of hybrid system/transmission Accord hybrid has? Is it similar to Toyota hybrid system with an ICE + 2x electric motors coupled with a planetary gearset?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/exp...ystem-tech-dept

Looks like the engine drives the generator all the time.
The engine can be connected to the wheels via a clutch, above 43MPH, but only at 1 ratio, there is no varying the gear ratio's between the engine and wheels when engaged.

I suspect it's much like a 5th gear + final drive ratio in a normal car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ewag2983
So my dad just traded in his 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid, had it for 51 weeks, put on 42k miles. Just traded it in for a fully loaded 2015 Honda Accord hybrid. Anybody heard much about these Accord hybrids yet or still just too new?

42k miles in a little under a year. That's shocking. At this rate the car will have near 200k miles in 3 more years.

I guess I just don't drive much.

He drives weekly from Indianapolis to somewhere in Wisconsin currently for work. Miles add up quick that way!!

My friends bought a 2014 Hybrid this spring. They love the car.

They live in Detroit and drive to Omaha quite often. They've told me, that they have gotten better than reported gas mileage. And several times they've driven approx. 40 miles from their house to Detroit Metro Airport and according to their on-board fuel calculator, have gotten close to 60mpg's.

Originally Posted By: Ewag2983

What was wrong with Fusion? Was it the fudged MPG numbers?
The recent accord hybrid has a simple and elegant hybrid design. Great car, great MPG, too bad they start at $30,000.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

The engine can be connected to the wheels via a clutch, above 43MPH, but only at 1 ratio, there is no varying the gear ratio's between the engine and wheels when engaged.

So it's like a series hybrid in the city and fixed gear on the highway. It's somewhat surprising that they can make an ICE which can cope to just one gear ratio from 40 to 80 mph and give good mpg.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

So it's like a series hybrid in the city and fixed gear on the highway. It's somewhat surprising that they can make an ICE which can cope to just one gear ratio from 40 to 80 mph and give good mpg.

It's quite similar in operation to the Volt. It's funny Ford and Toyota have a similar system, now GM and Honda do as well. Do with that what you will, I don't want to offend half the board.

What was wrong with Fusion? Was it the fudged MPG numbers?
The recent accord hybrid has a simple and elegant hybrid design. Great car, great MPG, too bad they start at $30,000.

Nothing was wrong with the Fusion, he liked the car quite a bit and saw roughly 43mpg. He was pretty happy when Ford sent the check to make up for the botched mpg estimates. He's recently started traveling for work, and the mileage reimbursement is amazing. He's pretty much able to make 3-4 payments a month. He paid 34k for both cars. Just took a ride in the accord with him. Very nice car. But I liked the ford too, and I drive a 2014 f550 rollback for work that I love.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
It's quite similar in operation to the Volt. It's funny Ford and Toyota have a similar system, now GM and Honda do as well. Do with that what you will, I don't want to offend half the board.

I think Volt is closer to Toyota/Ford than Honda, as Volt has that planetary gearset in transmission and engine rpm isn't fixed to speed.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

I think Volt is closer to Toyota/Ford than Honda, as Volt has that planetary gearset in transmission and engine rpm isn't fixed to speed.

Uh...the volt is an electric car. It uses the engine only for generation. It is nothing like toyota/ford.

The Volt is like no other "hybrid". The Accord is like no other hybrid. Each is completely different than the "rest".

The Accord has three modes (all electric, hybrid drive, and gas engine driven). Of course, it's already been stated that the gas engine driven mode is in a 1:1 locked ratio.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Uh...the volt is an electric car. It uses the engine only for generation. It is nothing like toyota/ford.

Uh...no

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80E1fOp95rA

Did you watch it? That is nothing like Ford/Toyota hybrid.

Did you? Volt has engine connected to wheels via planetary gears in the high speed driving mode. That is known as parallel hybrid and very similar to Toyota/Ford design. The outputs/inputs are changed to go around existing patents.

Volt was supposed to be serial hybrid only, but later it turned out parallel hybrid had better efficiency.

volt-prius.jpg

The Truth About Cars (thetruthaboutcars.com) reviewed Accord Hybrid twice. They may even have a video review on youtube. They were really impressed. The car is fast, has more torque than the diesel Passat, and sips fuel like a Prius. By all accounts, Accord Hybrid is the flagship car of the entire Honda model lineup right now:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02/review-2014-honda-accord-hybrid-with-video/

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/12/review-2014-volkswagen-passat-tdi-with-video/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back