Pic of AC Delco PF63/Amsoil EAO17/Fram Ultra XG10575

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple Amsoil EAO17 filters, a whole bunch of AC Delco PF63 (non-ecore) filters and a few Fram Ultra XG 10575 filters. These filters all cross reference to each other. As you can see from the picture below, can anyone tell me why the Fram Ultra filter is this much smaller than the equivalent filters from AC Delco and Amsoil?

Which one would you run?

Last edited:
Hard to say why they made it smaller, but i would run either the Ultra or the Amsoil filter anytime before the Delco. The Ultra uses 2 ply synthetic media with 99.5% efficiency at 20 microns, the Amsoil uses a single thick layer of synthetic media with 98.7% efficiency at 20 microns. The Ultra is 80% efficient at 5 microns, which is superb, no one else even publishes these figures.

They are both higher efficiency and higher holding capacity than the AC Delco, but the Delco is certainly more than sufficient, just the other two are overkill.

The Ultra for my application was on sale for $5.30 on Amazon not too long ago and i stocked up, which is why they are the easy choice for me. If price was the same between the Amsoil and Ultra its a coin flip, but Amsoil is typically more expensive for similar performance.

Its funny how filters from different manufactures that are supposed to be the equivalents are different sizes. Its something that happens so I wouldn't let that determine your decision as long as it doesn't create fitment issues. The spec'd WIX for our mule is about 3/4" longer than the OEM and spec'd Fram. The WIX wont fit unfortunately.

I would run any of the 3 with confidence. What kind of OCI are you planning on running? Use the cheapest one that fits your requirements.

*If it is the filter media area that concerns you, keep in mind even filters with the same can size will have different areas because of different bypass designs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would run any of the 3 with confidence. Use the cheapest one that fits your requirements.

+1 here.

You can bet the AC Delco is conforming to the OEM pattern for the filter.

So the FRAM is probably value engineered to be a little smaller and save some raw materials or work in other applications too.

The Amsoil may have an advantage if the extra volume available is committed to additional filter media.

AC Delco is the cheapest filter at roughly: $4.58 each from rockauto.com. $54.95 shipped to my door for 12 of them. Don't ask me why I bought 12. Seemed like a good idea at the time and it's the older better non-ecore design filter that has been discontinued. Figured I can't go wrong with it if I run 5K intervals and it's the bigger filtering media over the PF48 filter my car actually calls for. Don't know why GM uses such small filters and has long OCIs of 7K-10K miles. How can these cheap paper media AC Delco oil filters go that many miles and filter efficiently?

Fram Ultra is the next in line in terms of price. Walmart sells them for roughly $8.50 plus tax. I got 4 off ebay for: $29.95 shipped to my door. With ebay bucks I had, it ended up costing me: $21.32 for 4 Fram Ultra XG 10575 filters which end up being $5.33 for each filter. Without my ebay bucks, they would cost me: $7.49 for each filter shipped to my door and no sales tax.

Amsoil oil filter cost me roughly around $10.00 each. I bought a case of motorcycle oil and ordered 2 of the EAO17 oil filters since I was already paying for shipping and so the filters didn't cost much if you are buying other items from Amsoil at dealer wholesale pricing. I am signed up as an Amsoil dealer, but don't sell anything.

Amsoil seems to offer the best bang for the buck in terms of physical size of the synthetic filtering media. It's the biggest filter my car can use. The Fram Ultra may have great internal filtering media, but it seems to fall short when it comes to the size. It would have been great if the Fram Ultra was the same size as the Amsoil filter. If it were the same size as the Amsoil filter, the winner would be the Fram Ultra in terms of tech specs and price. Funny thing is the Fram Ultra XG 10060 filter is the same size as the AC Delco PF48 equivalent and the Amsoil EA15K50 filter equivalent. Don't know why they went smaller on the XG 10575 filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
AC Delco is the cheapest filter at roughly: $4.58 each from rockauto.com. $54.95 shipped to my door for 12 of them. Don't ask me why I bought 12. Seemed like a good idea at the time and it's the older better non-ecore design filter that has been discontinued. Figured I can't go wrong with it if I run 5K intervals and it's the bigger filtering media over the PF48 filter my car actually calls for. Don't know why GM uses such small filters and has long OCIs of 7K-10K miles. How can these cheap paper media AC Delco oil filters go that many miles and filter efficiently?

Fram Ultra is the next in line in terms of price. Walmart sells them for roughly $8.50 plus tax. I got 4 off ebay for: $29.95 shipped to my door. With ebay bucks I had, it ended up costing me: $21.32 for 4 Fram Ultra XG 10575 filters which end up being $5.33 for each filter. Without my ebay bucks, they would cost me: $7.49 for each filter shipped to my door and no sales tax.

Amsoil oil filter cost me roughly around $10.00 each. I bought a case of motorcycle oil and ordered 2 of the EAO17 oil filters since I was already paying for shipping and so the filters didn't cost much if you are buying other items from Amsoil at dealer wholesale pricing. I am signed up as an Amsoil dealer, but don't sell anything.

Amsoil seems to offer the best bang for the buck in terms of physical size of the synthetic filtering media. It's the biggest filter my car can use. The Fram Ultra may have great internal filtering media, but it seems to fall short when it comes to the size. It would have been great if the Fram Ultra was the same size as the Amsoil filter. If it were the same size as the Amsoil filter, the winner would be the Fram Ultra in terms of tech specs and price. Funny thing is the Fram Ultra XG 10060 filter is the same size as the AC Delco PF48 equivalent and the Amsoil EA15K50 filter equivalent. Don't know why they went smaller on the XG 10575 filter.

Size is pretty much irrelevant unless they all have the same media, which they don't. You can't judge capacity by outside dimensions nor with filter media area.

Nate1979,

I agree. In this case, the Amsoil seems to have the advantage in that it is a full synthetic media filter with a heavy duty canister and it is bigger than the Fram Ultra filter. The AC Delco is the same size as the Amsoil filter, but it can't compete as the internals are nowhere near the same quality.

splinter,

I used to run Mobil 1 filters, but I found them to be overpriced for what they are and the internals are not as good as the cheaper Amsoil filters I get.

I was not able to find a bigger filter with the same threading over the pictured Amsoil EAO17 filter or AC Delco PF63.

If the Fram Ultra filter was the same size as the Amsoil, that would be the winner in overall filtering performance.

...Don't ask me why I bought 12...

Pictorial comparison notwithstanding, are you going to run them or unload 'em?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: splinter
...Don't ask me why I bought 12...

Pictorial comparison notwithstanding, are you going to run them or unload 'em?
smile.gif

These?

I made a mistake on the price of the Fram Ultra at Walmart that I posted earlier in this thread. I did a physical check while I was at Walmart today and the XG 10575 filters runs $9.63 plus tax.

I made a mistake on the price of the Fram Ultra at Walmart that I posted earlier in this thread. I did a physical check while I was at Walmart today and the XG 10575 filters runs $9.63 plus tax.

Makes the AC Delco PF63 an even better bargain.

SilverC6,

Scored a bunch of Fram Ultras on eBay for almost half the price of Walmart. Got the AC Delco filters for nothing and I am sure I can sell those in a heartbeat for what I paid for them if I ever decide to get rid of them. I will stock up on the Amsoil EAO17 filters on my next Amsoil order as well.

It's true, Walmart isn't always the cheapest.

SilverC6,

Scored a bunch of Fram Ultras on eBay for almost half the price of Walmart. Got the AC Delco filters for nothing and I am sure I can sell those in a heartbeat for what I paid for them if I ever decide to get rid of them. I will stock up on the Amsoil EAO17 filters on my next Amsoil order as well.

Sounds like you have the oil filter thing covered for a couple of years.

I get concerned about the authenticity of filters from "sellers" on ebay and some providers on Amazon (other than Amazon itself).

Alibaba has already been identified as a source for counterfeit filters.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
SilverC6,

Sounds like you have the oil filter thing covered for a couple of years.

I get concerned about the authenticity of filters from "sellers" on ebay and some providers on Amazon (other than Amazon itself).

Alibaba has already been identified as a source for counterfeit filters.

I emailed them asking for proof they are 100% genuine Fram Ultra filters. Company name is called: "BCN Auto"
I will let you know what they say. So far, the filters I got from them feel and look 100% legit. The boxes they came in are the factory boxes. I compared them to the ones on the shelf at Walmart and they look identical in everyway, shape and form. They weigh exactly the same too. They even smell the same. LOL!

Originally Posted By: splinter
^ Picked up an XG10575 today for $9.63+.

First Fram in decades owing to OCD fears!

I ordered so many of those filters! I could have sent you a few since you're so close and I still would have had a ton left! I got 4 on the shelf right now with 24 on the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back