PP 5w-20 Accord 2.4 5581mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
A relatively short run for the purpose of getting my odometer to an even 140,000. I had initially planned to go 7500 mile oci from here but after recently seeing "Autodarken's" 14100 mile run with good results on the same engine I feel shamed into going at least 10k, if I can stand it. My only real issue will be whether the PureOne will hold up for that long without tearing.

This oil saw my typical 60/40 highway/city commuting miles with the occasional longer highway (200 + mile) trip thrown in.

I'm pretty sure this was SM PP, which was remarkably similar in shown additive levels, except for Boron, to the previous two 8k runs of Penn Ultra.

5e68a0ef-d95f-4478-af81-6bccb3de15fc.png

What is interesting is the numbers with all the oils are really close. Except the tbn.

About the previous UOAs where you used Honda 0w20, were they Idemitsu bottles? There's a lot of moly in it but wear rate is higher than PU, was the driving pattern different?

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
About the previous UOAs where you used Honda 0w20, were they Idemitsu bottles? There's a lot of moly in it but wear rate is higher than PU, was the driving pattern different?

Driving pattern was the same and, yes, it was the Idemitsu made Honda full syn, known for its high moly count. I was not impressed with its performance in my application. 4650 miles and a tbn of 2.3? The PP had a tbn almost 3x higher, 6.7, at 5581 miles. It was my first try of 0w-20 in this vehicle; it specs 5w-20.

I have a suspicion that the elevated Al may be a direct result of high moly count. I say this because both the Honda oils with native high moly and the Penn Ultra I spiked with Mos2 came back with high Al, while the others did not. I think this may be lab specific (ALS) and possibly some kind of false positive, or due to the equipment they use. I recently saw another UOA using ALS where the Al was almost triple when using Mos2 then without, though mileage on the oil was also higher. Dunno, just idle speculation.

I currently have PPPP in the sump and will run it to 10k if my nerve holds out.

BTW, no oil was added during this UOA. I dumped the whole 5qt jug in (calls for 4.5 qt) and at the time of change the dipstick was halfway between the add and full marks, so I guesstimate 1 quart was consumed during the oci.

This is definitely not a PP, or a significant lab error. Platinum could not have 3100+ ppm of calcium. Looks very similar to Amsoil, IMO.

Originally Posted By: MikeySoft
Interesting theory about the moly. I had 3 labs do the uoa on the ff for my 2013 Accord. ALS & CAT had 20 for al while brackstone only had 7.

Link to my FF with high moly.

Anyway I'll post a new uoa in a few weeks.

I do remember that batch of UOA's very clearly, Mikey, and I've referenced it a few times. Interesting results for sure. I look forward to your next report, iirc you had pretty high wear numbers in your last UOA, perhaps in part due to DI and short tripping.

Originally Posted By: timeau
This is definitely not a PP, or a significant lab error. Platinum could not have 3100+ ppm of calcium. Looks very similar to Amsoil, IMO.

I can assure you that it was PP SM. I've never used Amsoil. That said, good catch by you, the Calcium does look a bit elevated-some residual from the previous run of PU?

Slightly off topic but I notice your 04 Accord has about the save millage and age as when I got rid of my 03 Accord. It was still running great but starting to show its age in other ways. I missed the 5 speed manual at first but the CVT is so smooth. Any plans for a new one? Maybe when they come out with the mid model refresh.
smile.gif

This is PP SM. Here's the VOA. Look at the TBN of 12 we used to get back in the day as a result of the calcium. This UOA shows the extended drain capabilities of the Pennzoil SM oils, hope you put the oil back in.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1758658

Shell has steadily been cutting costs with PP and PU over the years. PU to PUP is the most recent example, the sample in this thread is proof it started back then. Like this very short oci, they probably realized most customers don't do extended drain so they might as well remove that capability and reduce their cost too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MikeySoft
Slightly off topic but I notice your 04 Accord has about the save millage and age as when I got rid of my 03 Accord. It was still running great but starting to show its age in other ways. I missed the 5 speed manual at first but the CVT is so smooth. Any plans for a new one? Maybe when they come out with the mid model refresh.
smile.gif

I do get the itch now and again for a new ride. If Honda offered the Sport 6-MT with a Sunroof I would give it serious thought. If they offered that model in something other than black or dark grey (really, how about black and silver, or any other color for that matter. C'mon Honda!) I might bite.

My EX is holding up so well that ultimately I am content to keep riding it out. In the Spring new tires are due and buying them will cement my commitment to the car for at least another 40-50k.

I plan on a 150k milestone report in the Spring/Summer '15, with pictures.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
This is PP SM. Here's the VOA. Look at the TBN of 12 we used to get back in the day as a result of the calcium. This UOA shows the extended drain capabilities of the Pennzoil SM oils, hope you put the oil back in.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1758658

Shell has steadily been cutting costs with PP and PU over the years. PU to PUP is the most recent example, the sample in this thread is proof it started back then. Like this very short oci, they probably realized most customers don't do extended drain so they might as well remove that capability and reduce their cost too.

Wow, I thought the TBN started at 9. Now I really feel bad. Let's see how the PPPP holds up after 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back