DIY Bypass Install Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks, I've been searching through this forum but can't seem to find what I'm looking for and I'm hoping someone can answer some of my questions.

I have an 01 Ford E-350 15-Passenger Van with the 6.8L that is used as a mobile office. It runs all day, 5 days a week.

I've been wanting to install a bypass filter system on it for a while, and am finally getting around to it. I am looking to install a dual filter mount (Permacool 1221) and a TransDapt 1027 adapter. I will run a bypass filter and a FF filter on that dual mount, and will install a restrictor for the bypass filter.

I know there are adapters to fit the Amsoil filters to a 3/4-16 nipple, but I was looking for a less expensive, locally-available bypass filter. The problem I have come across is finding a low-micron filter that fits on a 3/4-16 nipple.

Any suggestions? Baldwin has some nice, inexpensive bypass filters, but they have a 5/8-18 thread, and I do not see any 3/4-16 to 5/8-18 adapters.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Asher

Fleetguard or Donaldson would be worth a look.

Fram Ultra's are 99.5% efficient @ 20 microns, and 80% efficient @ 5 microns, and certainly would be cheap if you have trouble finding an even higher efficiency filter.

I would personally install a single remote bypass setup, BP90 filter should run for 25,000 miles AT LEAST, up to 50,000 miles with a standard filter. WIth their dual remote setup running their EAO filter in conjunction with the BP-90, it should extend those filter replacements further.

I am running a dual remote bypass setup in my 2003 Honda CRV, fantastic system, couldn't be happier with it.

Won't work. This is for two full flow filters in parallel to double the dirt holding capacity.

You need the bypass assembly to send the small amount of oil from the high resistance bypass element back to the lowest pressure part of the engine, the sump. Otherwise you will not get any flow through this filter element. The Amsoil dual assembly does this by restricting the flow through the full flow element. I don't like that idea, but it seems to work out.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fi.../?code=BMK23-EA

Originally Posted By: Asher
Hello folks, I've been searching through this forum but can't seem to find what I'm looking for and I'm hoping someone can answer some of my questions.

I have an 01 Ford E-350 15-Passenger Van with the 6.8L that is used as a mobile office. It runs all day, 5 days a week.

I've been wanting to install a bypass filter system on it for a while, and am finally getting around to it. I am looking to install a dual filter mount (Permacool 1221) and a TransDapt 1027 adapter. I will run a bypass filter and a FF filter on that dual mount, and will install a restrictor for the bypass filter.

I know there are adapters to fit the Amsoil filters to a 3/4-16 nipple, but I was looking for a less expensive, locally-available bypass filter. The problem I have come across is finding a low-micron filter that fits on a 3/4-16 nipple.

Any suggestions? Baldwin has some nice, inexpensive bypass filters, but they have a 5/8-18 thread, and I do not see any 3/4-16 to 5/8-18 adapters.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Asher

Go ahead and do your dual remote full flow filters as you describe. Use the largest filters that fit. Low cost, but don't skimp on the oil lines. THEN from the higher pressure port on that dual remote, route oil to a stand alone "bypass" filter via a small restrictor and return that super filtered oil top side.

Enjoy the huge oil capacity increase. I had this set up on my Volvo turbo years ago.

Thanks for all the help, folks.

I was modeling my potential system after this guy's:

http://www.f150forum.com/f72/budget-pass-oil-filter-system-90460/

As for the flow, there is no abnormal restriction to the engine...the filter head/housing has shared in & out circuits for both filters. There is a restriction in the output of the bypass filter's nipple. From what I have gathered, Amsoil does it the same way, although their's is more elegant. The vast majority of the oil goes through the FF filter and back to the engine.

Does anyone see any flaws in this?

Thank you,

Asher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back