Which tires for 2014 Mustang GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

My 14 Mustang GT still has the original Pirelli PZero Nero tires on it which in my opinion suck. They are very noisy and seem to be out of round since when I put the rear of the car up on jackstands and let the car run in drive, the tires seemed to move side to side. I have never did a burnout or anything else to these tires so it can't be that(unless someone at the dealer has done it the few times the car has been there for warranty work).

The tires only have 10,300 miles on them and have been rotated twice, at 5,000 miles and at 10,000 miles.

What brand and actual tire would you recommend for this car. I will keep the original recommended speed rating. Tires are 235/50/18. Thanks.

Wayne

Ill throw out the obligatory Pilot super sport reference.

if all season Pilot sport as/3

I have a 2013 GT with the same Pirelli's and yes they do suck! Mine will be coming off in spring and I'm in the same boat as you thinking about what tire to buy. I am really considering the Cooper RS3-S or RS3-A the S being the Sport and the A being the ultra high performance all season. Depending on where you live pick one over the other. Also look at the Mickey Thompson Street Comp tire it is made by Cooper tire and gets great reviews on the Mustang forums. They are also a pretty good price at americanmuscle.com although you just missed $100.00 off of four MT tires. MT did a boat load of testing and development of this tire it took them over two years to develop with Cooper tire and there main test car was a Mustang GT. There are several other good choices for an Ultra High Performance tires it really comes down to how aggressive you drive and if you drive below 40 degrees (F) stay away from a UHP tire as they become like Hockey pucks below 40 degrees (F) for the most part. Please keep this in mind our cars can real easily brake traction going into a corner at full throttle in second and third gear there are many reports of current model Mustang GT drivers crashing around corners when there tires brake loose around a corner so a quality sticky tire is preferred if you put a low quality hard compound all season tire on your car you risk going into a corner with power on and braking loose and not being able to recover your car I have seen it happen. There is a reason the sticky tires that don't last long are put on the Mustang GT. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Ill throw out the obligatory Pilot super sport reference.

if all season Pilot sport as/3

Yes on this the Michelin Pilot sport tire are always rated at the top of the heap for a performance tire they can be pricy though.

I have the Cooper RS3-A on my '11 Brembo 19" package GT. I wanted a tire that would be good in the cold and last longer than the 15k miles I got out of the OEM UHP Pzeros. I don't think there is a 'quiet tire' for these 'stangs. I sure would like to try Michelins. My car is not raced, but is driven for fun on sunny days and garaged otherwise. The Coopers work well and are wearing nicely for me, but they are not quiet. I think that is just the nature of a 40 aspect ratio tire on a 19" wheel with stiff sidewalls. I would love a tire that I could afford and was silent.

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
I have the Cooper RS3-A on my '11 Brembo 19" package GT. I wanted a tire that would be good in the cold and last longer than the 15k miles I got out of the OEM UHP Pzeros. I don't think there is a 'quiet tire' for these 'stangs. I sure would like to try Michelins. My car is not raced, but is driven for fun on sunny days and garaged otherwise. The Coopers work well and are wearing nicely for me, but they are not quiet. I think that is just the nature of a 40 aspect ratio tire on a 19" wheel with stiff sidewalls. I would love a tire that I could afford and was silent.

Funny, I just bought the coopers RS3-A for my Audi and they are dead silent !

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Do you want a UHP/Max performance summer only tire, or good, UHP, all seasons??

This. Can't make a suggestion without knowing what you want.

Only one summer tire here: Michelin PSS.

Smooth, quiet, extreme traction, and warranted to go 30k miles!

An unbelievable combination...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

This.... The Michelin PSS will be going on my '14 if I keep it long enough to need tires. The factory Pirellis are junk and I would personally never consider Cooper because they have never made anything that has impressed me.

Tires can last 30k miles?

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Do you want a UHP/Max performance summer only tire, or good, UHP, all seasons??

This. Can't make a suggestion without knowing what you want.

x3. Do you want to drive the car in the winter, or park it when the weather goes sloppy?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Tires can last 30k miles?

Since I have never had a set make 20k miles I will be amazed if the Pss's do!!!

Thanks for all of the replies. I don't drive this car in bad weather so technically I don't need an AS tire even though that is what is on my car now. I do want something that will last awhile so I don't know if a summer only tire will work. I will probably stay with an AS tire.

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3's were one of the tires I was considering. I had Cooper RSA's(I think that was what they were called) on my 2004 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged and I were not impressed with them. I had a vibration in the front end of the car even when everything checked out with the wheels(new) and suspension.

I just want something that is going to be a lot quieter than these Pirelli's. I cannot stand to ride in the car with the windows up because the tire noise is so loud.

I will check out the other tires that you guys have recommended. Thanks again.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back