Will Liqui-Moly MoS2 void warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't "void" a warranty, but I suppose one could have issues for not following the "no additive" advice in an owner's manual. Of course, if one is doing a warranty claim for an electrical short, Liqui-Moly use would have nothing to do with it.

I can't say for sure whether it will void a warranty however no way would I give an automaker any grounds to void it,so I'd lay off using it until the warranty is finished.
I'm a user and lover of mos2,I've used it in countless engines for many hundreds of thousands of miles and I tore down a ford 4.6 2v that I used mos2 in for years and even today I have the stock cams on a shelf in my garage. The lobes are slick to the touch and there isn't any surface rust on them even though they've been sitting there for a few years now.
That 4.6 was spotless inside. No ring deposits to be seen. I pulled the engine because I got tired of it spitting out plugs.

I'm a Mos2 fan by myself, but still wouldn't use it in anything so new that warranty period is still going. You won't probably get much benefits from it anyway with a newish engine.

Last edited:
It possibly will be void if there is any sort of failure of parts that are lubricated by engine oil. The repairs probably wont be covered and rightfully so unless they approve the additive.
You really cant hide the fact that you have been using it either.

Here is my take on this.
I asked the dealer if I could use a Moly additive, dealer says their oil dosnt have any Moly so no.
I did a UOA of my Factory Fill and it has 1440+ ppm of Moly dealer has no clue whats going on.
As long as I dont use more than 1400 ppm of Moly I will be Ok.
I wont use that much any way.

If the company policy is no oil additives it means no oil additives, it cant be any simpler.
They see some solid additive in the oil they wont care what mumbo jumbo UOA and how many ppm you thought would be okay.

How do you know what kind of moly they are using? Soluble or MoS2?
Why should the company be held liable for your decision to use something they don't approve of? Isn't that a little unfair?

If someone truly believes they know better and uses something then consider the warranty void and accept the consequences if something goes wrong.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
If the company policy is no oil additives it means no oil additives, it cant be any simpler.
They see some solid additive in the oil they wont care what mumbo jumbo UOA and how many ppm you thought would be okay.

Why should the company be held liable for your decision to use something they don't approve of? Isn't that a little unfair?

If someone truly believes they know better and uses something then consider the warranty void and accept the consequences if something goes wrong.

49.gif

So true.

And I'm pretty sure a dealer and the auto maker have access to labs that can do a far better UOA than is the norm here.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Here is my take on this.
I asked the dealer if I could use a Moly additive, dealer says their oil dosnt have any Moly so no.
I did a UOA of my Factory Fill and it has 1440+ ppm of Moly dealer has no clue whats going on.
As long as I dont use more than 1400 ppm of Moly I will be Ok.
I wont use that much any way.

Good luck trying to explain to the car mfg, not the dealer why the oil you're using has a silver/grayish, call it whatever you like color. Remember the dealership has to get cleared by the mfg. before they do any major repairs, or they won't get paid. You can bet your last dollar that if the mfg. suspects the oil is to blame they're going to investigate further, color of the oil or not. As stated the UOA they get is going to be better than any $25 UOA any of us are going to get. Bottom line, while under warranty I'd pass.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

49.gif

So true.

And I'm pretty sure a dealer and the auto maker have access to labs that can do a far better UOA than is the norm here.

I guess this puts me in the +4 group here.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

49.gif

So true.

+5 to this one.

Q.

Last edited:
If anybody who has been using MoS2 in their under warranty car suspects that they have an internal engine mechanical problem, just change the oil and filter before taking the car to the dealer for repairs. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: wag123
If anybody who has been using MoS2 in their under warranty car suspects that they have an internal engine mechanical problem, just change the oil and filter before taking the car to the dealer for repairs. Problem solved.

Like Trav said, the product stays around. In fact it might take 2-3 oil changes to get it all out.

Originally Posted By: wag123

Not really.

Mos2 sticks around because over time it works itself into the metals irregularities and it'll take more than an oil change to clean it all out.

And trav's point he made in the last mos2 thread popped up for me when I changed the oil in my C3.
When I got the truck it was neglected. So I did a few oil changes using an engine flush type product and cleaned it out,then I used redline for roughly 6500 miles.
I also added roughly a can and a half of mos2.
When I pulled the oil drain plug there was literally black thick mud on it. Enough to completely cover the magnet.
Which to me lends a lot of clout to what Trav has posted about mos2 in his boosted 3.8.
My truck is daily driven and still there was accumulation on the bottom of the pan.
So he's right about it settling out. It's my fault for overdosing for sure,so following the directions is key.
I like mos2. Every engine I've used it in gets better mileage and I will continue to use it. I just wanted to state my observations about potential settling out,especially if the engine isn't daily driven.
So Trav is right,and I believe him 100% now even though at first I was skeptical.
Now I'm not saying that mud in the bottom of my pan was all mos2. Redline is an ester and will clean old existing deposits so it's completely possible that the mud that drained out was old accumulation from the neglectful previous owner,however it's definitely possible that mud was mos2 settling out.
I'm not saying that mos2 settling out will cause any harm either,I wanted to post my observations so that if people are going to use it then they can find unbiased observations so that if they see something that concerns them they can easily find that someone gas posted about it already.

Maybe, maybe not. That number could be from assembly lube.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Maybe, maybe not. That number could be from assembly lube.

Bingo, that's where the smart money is.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
why in the world somebody wants to add during the warranty period?

Because they think they know better than the mfgs and the oil companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back