Castrol Edge Syntec 0W-20, 0W-30 BC, 0W-40 GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize we are getting off the OP's point totally on our responses, but this type of thing usually happens anyway. haha.

On my personal RL comparison on previous cars, you just find something that works and stick with it, I guess that is the moral of the story here. Weather that is RL, M1, GC or whatever.

I only brought up my Evo and the racing that I did on that particular car was over a span of 5 yrs. I tracked the car almost every weekend, not to mention just using that car as my daily driver. This proves a couple of things.

1. The durability of the Evo. Making 2x's stock HP and TQ on stock internals, stock turbo for over 5yrs!!

2. How important maintenance is on ANY vehicle.

I went with RL on that application vs using other oils because it was Group 5 and felt it would provide the best protection. I mean there were times I would come off the track and my Turbo was glowing orange. So to me? I wanted something that I felt could take the heat. The RL did for me.

Thats not to say Motul, or Amsoil, or some other brand would not have? Seemed the RL held up real well with the E85 I was running as well.

Anyway, what is important, is just find something that works and stick with it. This kinda creates a brand preference. Its like, you bought a Honda and never had a problem with it, but buy a VW and you had nothing but problems with it? Now all of a sudden VW's are C R A P in your eyes, whereas I had issues with Hondas in the past and they are C R A P to me? See how we create a bias that simply? Same with the oil brand you choose.

That and we are the type of people that are never satisfied and looking for the next best thing. haha.

Amyway, just my thoughts.

Sorry OP for going WWAAYY off point.

Photo of my Evo for fun sakes.....Memmories hehe...

[img:left][/img]

Jeff

You're absolutely right. Use what works for you. You pics are making me nostalgic.

Well, I will try that Redline 5W30 and do UOA
cool.gif

I am curious though what may be in the castrol that make some feel the engine is quieter? Any thoughts on that?

Edyvw please let me know how the RL is and please send me a link to the UOA i an VERY interested in this.

Jeff

In theory wouldn't a group 4 or 5 oil be best in a DI motor? Less blow by (possible) and the temperatures that they can take may lead to less carbon valve deposits?

I mean i don't feel it's just unburned fuel causing the issue at least in the TSI. I mean most TSI's if you pull an intercooler pipe off oil is puddled pretty bad. It has been shown oil catch cans don't help but this oil and oil vapor may be the culprit in these deposits.

So is it possible an oil like RL would be ideal for an engine like the TSI?

Curious.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
In theory wouldn't a group 4 or 5 oil be best in a DI motor? Less blow by (possible) and the temperatures that they can take may lead to less carbon valve deposits?

I mean i don't feel it's just unburned fuel causing the issue at least in the TSI. I mean most TSI's if you pull an intercooler pipe off oil is puddled pretty bad. It has been shown oil catch cans don't help but this oil and oil vapor may be the culprit in these deposits.

So is it possible an oil like RL would be ideal for an engine like the TSI?

Curious.

Jeff

It should be better then petroleum based oils.
I still have 2K on this M1 fill. I will then put RL 5W30.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Folks:

OP here. I ordered 8 liters of Motul 300V 0W-40 for my 330Ci. When I get that oil I will send it to Blackstone along with the others that need retesting.

Expect a full update sometime the week of Nov 3rd.

Scott

Scott, we do have a fairly early VOA of the Motul 0W-40 which was disappointing.
If you are going to have another VOA ordered on this oil I'd suggest requesting a KV40 test as well.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Folks:

OP here. I ordered 8 liters of Motul 300V 0W-40 for my 330Ci. When I get that oil I will send it to Blackstone along with the others that need retesting.

Scott

Scott, we do have a fairly early VOA of the Motul 0W-40 which was disappointing.
If you are going to have another VOA ordered on this oil I'd suggest requesting a KV40 test as well.

Caterham:

I saw that VOA after I ordered some. I don't see anything wrong with it in the VOA. Am I missing something?

Hey also, because I have more money than common sense, I ordered a liter of Liqui-Moly’s Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 and will have a VOA done on that too.

Scott

Folks:

Scott

What's disappointing about a VOA?

Caterham:

I saw that VOA after I ordered some. I don't see anything wrong with it in the VOA. Am I missing something?

Most likely it's low V.I., and it's low TBN (but it IS technically marketed as a 'race oil', so these, or at least the latter, should not be considered substantially low.
wink.gif
).

(ALL of the new 'Ester Core' 300V grades have a 'low' TBN now, as the old 'Di-Ester' formulatiions used to have TBNs in the high 9.0 to low 12.0 ranges.
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Caterham:

Most likely it's low V.I., and it's low TBN (but it IS technically marketed as a 'race oil', so these, or at least the latter, should not be considered substantially low.
wink.gif
).

(ALL of the new 'Ester Core' 300V grades have a 'low' TBN now, as the old 'Di-Ester' formulatiions used to have TBNs in the high 9.0 to low 12.0 ranges.
wink.gif
)

As far as I know, Motul dos not recommend that oil for daily use precisely bcs it is primarily race oil.

Caterham:

wink.gif
).

wink.gif
)

Yes even after retesting the KV100 was below their published spec' as was the 174 VI vs the PDS value of 186.

By comparison M1 0W-40 is consistently on spec if not higher.

SLO_Town said:
Caterham:

wink.gif
).

wink.gif
)

Yes even after retesting the KV100 was below their published spec' as was the 174 VI vs the PDS value of 186.

By comparison M1 0W-40 is consistently on spec if not higher. quote][/

Exactly My Point. If you look at the "Numbers" M1 pounces Castrol and most other over the counter oils in this category.

Though some how these oils that are not as good "on paper" somehow make your engine quieter?
21.gif

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Not sure how VI tells you anything about the performance of an oil. I've seen 400VI oils that offer no real benefit over 175 vi oils.

PLEASE show me a passenger car motor oil with a 400 V.I.
confused.gif

No I work at a research centre where we try things like this.

The VI being higher the better is a popular theory from years ago. The proof of testing showed many expected benefits. (Mostly in fuel economy) were not realised.

PMA viscosity modifiers help give great VI. They aren't so great in turbo chargers or piston rings though.

The question about VI isn't about ' how high?' The real question to ask is 'why'.

Nice try to turn this into a VI bashing thread with your unsubstantiated claims.

Regarding Motul 0W-40. Not having the claimed PDS VI is not about VI but rather a quality control issue; namely the KV100 is below spec' while the KV40 is less affected.

OP here:

Getting this thread back on topic, I sent in a second set of Castrol samples from the same oil bottles I used originally. I also sent a sample of Liqui-Moly’s Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40.

I was going to send in a sample of Motul 300V 0W-40 but I got tired of waiting for it (2 weeks) and when I called it still hadn't been shipped. Forget it.

For the BC, GC, and Liqui Moly I'm having Blackstone run kv40 and kv100 tests.

I sent it 2-day UPS and it's supposed to arrive Monday afternoon. I should post results sometime Wednesday.

I will post the new results in four separate threads:

1) Castrol 0W-20 Edge Syntec Black Bottle
2) Castrol 0W-30 Belgium
3) Castrol 0W-40 German
4) Liqui-Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40

I'm really curious about the LM. I have searched and cannot find a VOA or UOA anywhere on the internet.

Cheers,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back