Used wrong/Old grease in Stabilizer Links?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '07 Element was creaking up front, most noticeable when braking and the front end dove down. I swapped out the stabilizer links for Moog parts that had zerk fittings. I had a tube of Super Tech Moly-Lithium Grease, so I used that. It was quiet for a few months, then I noticed a similar creaking and a slight knock. I took a look while I was rotating the tires and saw that the entire stabilizer link was wet with oil, as if the grease was separating and leaking out.

I pumped in some more grease and it quieted down again. I pulled out the tube to read it and it has a drop point of 350, and doesn't have the NGLI GC-LB logo. I noticed some of the grease was also "dripping" out the bottom of the grease gun. I've had this tube close to 7 years now, could it just be old?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Moly-Grease-14-oz/16928003

Is that the wrong stuff? I already picked up a tube of Mystik JT6 High Temp (as i found mentioned in other threads) that has the GC-LB rating and will pump that through the links next time it starts to make noise.

Thanks for any thoughts!

As you mentioned your grease has separated. Most greases are only good for 2 to 3 years. The separation is the lubricating oils releasing from the thickening agent which is what you saw dripping from your grease gun. If you opened the gun you should also find a lot of thick grease left behind.

Buy a new tube and purge the stabilizer links. Use an aluminum complex grease if you can find it since it is 100% waterproof.

Thanks, makes sense! I didn't think it had such a short life, unlike motor oil. But it kind of makes sense since there are the thickeners/solids in it. I'll toss that old grease.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Never heard of grease fittings for stabilizer links. Interesting.

I've seen some on aftermarket links. I think its over kill IMO and more likely to cause issues when over greased.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Never heard of grease fittings for stabilizer links. Interesting.

I've seen some on aftermarket links. I think its over kill IMO and more likely to cause issues when over greased.

I have aftermarket links with grease fittings. While I agree with the above, I usually give it a pump or two every six months until I see a slight swell. If this will allow for higher durability who knows but in the meantime it seems to be working just fine for me! I use the Lucas Xtra in everything and it seems to do the job.

Last edited:
I'm hoping with proper greasing, they will be the last set of links I put on, who knows though.

Follow up question, any tips on getting the old grease out, without dis assembly? I plan on pumping in new stuff until I see it come out, but with Jimzz's comments, I'm now concerned about over greasing.

I was torn between the Lucas Red N tacky and the Mystik JT6 while at walmart, went with the Mystik, but I'm thinking either would be fine.

You don't need to get the old grease out. The super tech grease you used is a lithium base grease and so are mystik jt6 and Lucas red and tacky. They will all mix just fine and get along just fine.

Between your choices for new grease, I would use the mystik and not think twice. It is good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back