Supertech Dexron VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
They are almost all group IIIs, anything less won't meet the spec requirements

Right but even amongst basestock manufacturers, some may be better than others.

As this is a price point lube, the question is what has given? Its not a huge seller, has little shelf space, so likely doesn't have economies of scale on its side.

So what has given?

Or can we truly say that no name price point manufactured dex vi is the absolute same quality and performance across its lifecycle as a fluid from pennzoil or valvoline, for example?

Try reading SAE 2005-01-3859 by Jack Zakarian if you want to know how close Group IIs are to one another. Since that was written they are even closer!

I meant Group IIIs, but it was early so that's my excuse.

As this is a price point lube, the question is what has given? Its not a huge seller, has little shelf space, so likely doesn't have economies of scale on its side.

So what has given?

Or can we truly say that no name price point manufactured dex vi is the absolute same quality and performance across its lifecycle as a fluid from pennzoil or valvoline, for example?

There have been linked articles as to the Dexron VI specification. I suspect that sub-par basestocks would fail the specification, right down to viscosity retention.

As long as you don't use Valvoline, they changed the maxlife oil removing moly. There are rumors that they even use recycled oil. with that as a base I wouldn't buy Valvoline ATF.

Quote:
As long as you don't use Valvoline, they changed the maxlife oil removing moly. There are rumors that they even use recycled oil. with that as a base I wouldn't buy Valvoline ATF.

Don't believe everything you hear.

This thread is discussing ATF's, not engine oils.

Look up the difference between recycled oils and re-refined oils.

So what has given?

Formulators and Blenders are given a set of GroupIII, 3 cSt, 6 cSt, and 8 cSt oils that are to be used with the Dexron VI PI package.

Looking at the formulation cards, there is little difference among the characteristics of the four major suppliers of GroupIII base oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cani

That's sure a load of bad information you've gotten.

That being said I'd rather skip the DexronVI and go right for the Maxlife dex merc, even in DexronVI applications.

I used it for 50K miles on a 4L60 in a Yukon that already had 50K miles on it which im sure was the factory fill. Transmission shifted as good when I sold it as when I bought it.

I have used it and my vehicle shifted the same as it did with factory fill. I highly recommend it where dex VI is spec'd.

Originally Posted By: 3311

So what has given?

If it's approved it certainly meets or exceed GM's stringent specs. I would bet the difference in any real world performance between Supertech and any other approved fluid is unnoticeable/negligible.

+1 Dex VI is a good spec and requires manufactures to put in more addiditves etc. versus the old Dex certs. which the lower brands were subpar at best. You can use all ST products with confidence.

Only the approved core DI packages are controlled, not the base oils.

IIRC that's why they have semi and full Sythetic Dexron VI ATF. I would go for Valvoline Dexron VI over the SuperTech if you can afford the difference.

To get a DEXRON VI product approved requires a full set of testing on finished product, blended at blend facility with all components including both additives and base stocks.
I have new one at SwRI today to qualify a new base oil to go with my four previous qualified formulas. They are all full synthetic.

Doesn't the Dex VI spec make it all or darn near synthetic (as compared to Dex III) ?

It depends on what you define as synthetic (Yes back there again!).
Most DEXRON-VI fluids are Group III, which as we know in North America can be called synthetic but if someone wants a 'true' synthetic it's useful to know what to look for in order to identify one. I was hoping that DWC 28 could help with that assuming that the formulations mentioned are really 'full synthetic' in the way that I and many others use the term.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
Only the approved core DI packages are controlled, not the base oils.

IIRC that's why they have semi and full Sythetic Dexron VI ATF. I would go for Valvoline Dexron VI over the SuperTech if you can afford the difference.

Valvoline Max Life is FULL SYN and is only 16$ a Gallon at Wallymart.

Thats what I like about GM and FORD and Chyrsler.. You can use Aftermarket ATF Fluids with confidence.. They are not like Honda or Nissan or Toyota or BMW all in all IMPORTS..

GM / FORD / Chrysler seems to use Mercon LV or Dexron III or VI... However with Valvoline Max Life you seem to be covered.. Or you can go Castol Full Syn Transmax...

Good Luuck.. however I would really stay away from Supertech for a Transmission..
Its not like Engine Oil thats going to be replaced soon. Thats going to be in your Transmission for years and it will be hard to get it all out..

Im just picky when it comes to ATF... If you have a Domestic Car / FORD or GM or Chyrsler you can get good results with Top Brand After market ATF Fluids that are already sold for good prices or you can buy online and use a coupon code and save more $.

Good luck and think twice about Supertech

Base stocks are Ultra-S, Neste and Ybase; all Grp III. In the past Petro-Can stocks have also been used mixed with Grp II.

OP, I use the ST fluid in my 2005 Chevy trucks 4L60 with 169,000 miles, and it shifts like new.

Quote:
...that the formulations mentioned are really 'full synthetic' in the way that I and many others use the term...

Same here.

In my view, a full synthetic base oil is a base mix consisting of majority PAO and Group V (esters and or Alkylated naphthelenes, alkylated benzenes, etc), components.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back