The Ammunition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post information, opinions and news about ammunition.

What do you like in your guns and why. Have you conducted accuracy testing and comparisons? Ballistics testing? Chronograph testing? Share your data with others.

Deals on good ammo, or cheap plinking ammo?

Sources for less-common calibers?

This is kind of an ammunition catch-all.

I'll go first.

Based on some positive ballistics and chronograph testing I've seen, I decided to try some pistol ammunition from Underwood Ammunition out of Ilinois.

Chronograph testing shows that their ammo consistently hits the velocities advertised by the company, and they offer some of the best bullets (Speer Gold Dot, Hornady XTP, Nosler, etc.).

I just ordered a box of the 9mm 124-gr Gold Dot +P (1225 FPS), a box of .357 125-gr (1700 FPS from a 6" barrel!), and some 10mm 180-gr XTP (1300 FPS).

Got a "shipped" notification within an hour of ordering and ship time is 1 day from IL to Nashville!

Looking forward to truing some out! Wish I had a chronograph to run some through. If anyone in Nashville or Memphis has one, and wants to do some velocity testing, holler at me!

Taken a lot of game with 57 grains of 4831 pushing 180 grain Sierra SP BT in 30-06.

I like my 30-30. I hunt only to put food on the table, no trophies. And if you get by my 4 dogs at home you'll face the 30-30 as well or maybe a shotgun.

Remington 170GR Core-Lokt SP
Winchester Super X 170GR Power Point

For duty/carry/self-defense ammo, I've used Speer Gold Dot. Unfailing reliability, good terminal performance.

For range/practice ammo, Winchester white box has been the most reliable pistol ammo. Never had a problem with it. Have had mixed results with a few other brands... For rifles, I've got a lot of Federal ammo...same thing, very reliable...

Federal feeds the best in my .223 and .308 and is also the most consistent. In the .338LM I've only tried Sellier and Bellot "Match" and it is very accurate/consistent.

I've had ejection issues with Winchester in my .223 but I'm thinking that's probably just the gun.

SMK FTW. I find there is a lot of load data and they shoot amazingly accurate. JMO

I, too, shoot a lot of Winchester White Box (9mm). $27 for a box of 100 at Walmart is a great buy. I don't shoot thousands of rounds per year (I've shot probably 700 rounds this year so far), but I've not once had any type of failures in either of my guns with WWB, even having bought both guns new and going through any break-in process. Seems to be fine stuff.

I've shot a few types of JHP through my Shield, which is my carry gun, and I carry the Speer Gold Dot in it. Both types shot well, though (Speer Gold Dot and Federal Personal Defense).

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Any reason the Winchester White Box shouldn't be used for home protection?

There is nothing wrong with Winchester White Box, but other types of ammunition are better suited. Namely, Jacketed Hollow Point (JHP).

That said, for home protection, I wouldn't prefer a handgun (or a handgun caliber) at all. A 12- or 20-gauge shotgun would be the optimal tool for that in my humble opinion.

2 or 3 weeks ago, Wal-Mart got in some Federal 9mm and .45 aluminum-cased ammo.

It was $10 for 50 rds of 9mm, and $14 for 50 rds of .45. Of course, it sold out quickly.

I only bought one box of the 9mm because I'd never used it in my HiPower, and didn't know how well it would work. Well, I wish I'd bought more, because the HiPower ate it up! I did buy a couple of boxes of the .45.

I did a search, and couldn't find any retailers selling it. I wonder if this was a Walmart-only deal. Sure wish I could find more of that ammo!

That's a great buy. We shot some Perfecta .40 and .45 last month from Walmart, and it shot good. I think it is made in Italy by Fiocchi, and it's usually priced low at Walmart.

Well, my Underwood Ammunition order has arrived, less than 24 hrs after placing the order!

That's what I call good service, even if the shipping was, IMHO, a little steep at $14 for 3 boxes of ammo.

WOW! Would ya look at the GAPING cavities in the business ends of those GDHPs! Especially in the 10mm!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Dang, son. Nice!

Sorry if I missed it earlier, but did you buy straight from underwoodammo.com?

Yes, sir!

And that's what is so nice and convenient about Underwood... They do load their ammunition with top-quality bullets (Speer Gold Dot, Hornady XTP, Nosler, etc.), and it is available in regular, +P and +P+ velocities. And it's all right there on their site, easy to find. I've noticed that some of the top-quality factory hollowpoints (Winchester Ranger, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, etc.) are kinda hard to find, especially in +P. And, if you do find them, whether locally or online, they're pretty expensive.

For me, Underwood takes the work out of shopping for different varieties of ammo. Gold Dot and XTP are known to be some of the best, and Underwood Ammo velocities have been proven to be true to what they advertise on the box by multiple chrono tests I've seen on YouTube.

Go to YouTube and search "Underwood Ammunition test tnoutdoors9" and you can see for yourself... BTW, tnoutdoors9 does some very good ballistics reviews on ammo... If he's not a BITOGer, he should be, as he is precise, businesslike and data-driven in his tests. No bull from him.

Anyway, I really didn't mean for this to be an infomercial for Underwood. I'm just pleased and excited to have found a good source for good ammunition (especially REAL 10mm that's not watered-down) at a reasonable price.

I have been pleased by the Privi-Partizan (PPU) 30-30 I get at Cabela's for $14.99. Can't chrono it at the indoor range I use, but the shoulder dyno says it's stout stuff, almost the recoil of my handloaded Hornady Flex tips at 90% of max. book load.

Never done a chrono or serious accuracy test, but shoot PPU at the range fairly often and never had a problem. Good prices too, just bought 500 rounds of PPU 30-06 for my Garand for about $360.

Tnoutdoors9 on YouTube is the kind of reviewer I like to watch on YouTube. Very data-driven, businesslike, and not a lot of useless blather.

Here's a video of him testing some 9mm Gold Dot +P:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back