2012 Elantra 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too am second guessing myself. The Elantra calls for a 7500 mile OCI for normal use with an API SM GF4 oil. 5w20 is recommended, but it can use a 5w30 or a 10w30 if needed.

Would this be a safe OCI with a dino or should this be left to a quality synthetic? The car sees mostly highway miles.. about 20,000 a year or so.

How many miles on the car? Is it still under warranty?

If under warranty I'd use syn and do 7500 or once a year while under warranty.

If out of warranty then a semi-syn high mileage oil every 7500 or once a year. Valvoline maxlife and Castrol are both a semi-syn HM oil with a good additive pack.

Last edited:
It is right under 40,000. It is currently a lease, but will be purchased next fall.

Last edited:
There's a UOA of a Sonata 2.4 on here that did an 8K mile OCI on PYB. The results came back excellent. That's a GDI Theta II engine. You drive a Hyundai Nu MPI 1.8L (not GDI). You can go with any top brand conventional.

#1. You will be using an oil that is already an upgrade because all the OTC oils today are SN/GF-5 vs the recommended SN/GF-4.

#2. Mostly HWY miles as indicated.

Last edited:
I have a 13 Elantra, seems pretty easy on the oil and your driving appears to be in the normal not severe category. I think you are fine with the 7500 OCi. Personally, with synthetics being so closely priced to conventional now I would go with the synthetic. Be sure to keep those receipts, like all manufacturers, Hyundai IMO, does not have a good reputation for honoring engine issues if no oil change documentation. Especially if they did not do the work.

Hynudai is weird in that it permits 5W20 or 30 and 10W30. However, Indiana in the winter I would opt for the 5W20.

Originally Posted By: wemay
#1. You will be using an oil that is already an upgrade because all the OTC oils today are SN/GF-5 vs the recommended SM/GF-4.

Sorry, meant SM/GF-4 but edit time lapsed.

Last edited:
First: I lied.. Its a 2013. Not a 2012. o_O

I thought the manual was a bit wishy washy.. It says SM GF4, but an SL can be used if needed depending on your country's availability. It sounds like the engine doesn't seem too picky.

I was hoping you'd chime in Wemay. Was your run with 5w 20 PYB?

Last edited:
On my Ex Wife's 2011 Elantra 1.8 I use Castrol Edge with Titanium (Gold Bottle) 5w20 and change it every 5K miles. Car has 50K on it now. No issues.

One thing about Hyundai Engines I have noticed is they all sound very "Course" I mean they are quiet from in the car, but on a cold morning, start the car and go out and listen, sounds like C R A P. My 2011 Sonata with the 2.4 did the same thing. YUCKY.

Great cars though. The Warranty is c r a p though, but guess that comes down to the individual dealership.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I was hoping you'd chime in Wemay. Was your run with 5w 20 PYB?

No, not mine. I've used Edge 5w20 very early into break in and now the NAPA 0w20. But if I had any in my current stash, I wouldn't hesitate to use it, QSGB, MS5K, VWB, Havoline or any other conventional meeting spec. But I do mixed hwy/city so would max it at 5K miles.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
On my Ex Wife's 2011 Elantra 1.8 I use Castrol Edge with Titanium (Gold Bottle) 5w20 and change it every 5K miles. Car has 50K on it now. No issues.

One thing about Hyundai Engines I have noticed is they all sound very "Course" I mean they are quiet from in the car, but on a cold morning, start the car and go out and listen, sounds like C R A P. My 2011 Sonata with the 2.4 did the same thing. YUCKY.

Great cars though. The Warranty is c r a p though, but guess that comes down to the individual dealership.

Jeff

You're not kidding... mine sounded like that to me as well early on. I kind of like the semi diesel clackety clack sound now. I haven't had a need to use the warranty on either as of yet but have only heard good things from friends who have. It could just be the dealership as you say Jeff.

Warren

Last edited:
I have a 2013. Just changed the oil with PYB 5w-30. Had a UOA done on the previous QSUD. It came back very good. I definitely agree about the noisy engine. I was honestly concerned about all the noise. But from what i hear on here it appears to be normal.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 elantra, being a mpfi and not di,
i'm using pennzoil platinum 5w20 in the winter, and pennzoil platinum 5w 30 in the summer.
I try to time my changes for the end of october and the end of april. I'm doing 7500 mile runs on this. My wife's work location may move in a year and she will drive about 3 miles each way , when that happens it will be pyb 5w 20 at 3k changes.

Last edited:
You need some comments from member salv, who works at a Hyundai dealership in upstate NY.

On my 2011 Elantra Touring 2.0L, I'm doing a 4K OCI with 5w-30 blend. So far so good. Next change in the new year will be Kendall 5w-20 blend. Also quality filters are highly recommended. Both Hyundai and Kia have service bulletins regarding aftermarket oil filters.

I bet our local dealer just uses bulk dino.. It says quaker state under the hood, but who knows. I wonder if they go with the sever or normal service OCI?

I'm sure it can be done, but I'm still hesitant of going over 5000 miles on dino. I'm still stuck in the "short OCI" world. Lol.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
QSUD works very well and is a lower priced synthetic...

Look for my UOA on QSUD 5w20 in this application. No it was not good.

Jeff

The big Red jug of Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic at Wally World is all I've ever used on my Hyundai's and NO issues...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
The big Red jug of Motorcraft 5w-20 semi-synthetic at Wally World is all I've ever used on my Hyundai's and NO issues...

That's what I've been planning once I finish my stash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back