What's best to mix with GC to thin it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CATERHAM, you DO realise that the standard that you oft quote regarding miscibility is only that they don't split like salad dressing after being cooled, heated and cooled again, don't you ?

That's the LIMIT of the compatibility standard.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I haven't tried thinning it, but ive used 0w20 Valvoline in infinium package with good results. I used to be opposed to missing NaXx and MoXxx packages but it seem to benefit both - at least as power and smoothness are concerned. IDK about dispercancy or TBN retention I think Schaeffer does this mix

It's interesting that you recommend Valvoline Arco as I have a lot of NAPA syn. 0w20 on hand. Could you explain "NaXx and MoXxx" a little more?

So Valvoline Synpower has an Infinium made additive package?

I guess it would help with 'mixing' questions if we knew which oils used which additive packages....Infinium, Oronite, Afton etc...? Does anybody have this information?
NO I meant adding the Valvoline NaXx package (if supplied by ?? Lubrizol or Oronite Im not sure) to an "infinium syle" DP.
Anyone on this fine forum aware of who supplies the basic DP for most Ashland products? I have not yet researched what the NaXX compound is. Anyone here have that knowledge? They appear casually to be somewhat complimentary (ALA Schaeffer's DP) whereas most have concluded that this is a mix to avoid.

Nice spelling of "dispersancy", ARKO! ZNot to mention style.

This is what happens when you have to hurry up and get back to the job in 20 seconds and you want to pound out a quick missi
ve.

so Ashland use:

sodium dibutyl dithiocarbamate SDDC

thx moleKule
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Mixing anything with GC would be Teutonic blasphemy.

I don't know?
As far as TGMO is concerned, weren't Germany and Japan allies during a tumultuous period in the last century?

Axis Motor Oil Company....

...but TGMO is U.S. produced
smile.gif

Except that the uoas with Caterham blend proved that nothing adverse happened. They not only don't separate but produce good TBN retention and wear metals were great.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3020034

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3053814

I think someone is basing the recent story of a failed generator using mixed 15w40 as fear to never mix.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3506109/diesel_oil__mixing#Post3506109

Yes, but the ASTM miscibility standard (and GF5, which links to THAT standard) is the one that keeps getting wheeled out to JUSTIFY mixing...I was making the point that it doesn't state half of what's wheeled out on this site as justification.

Yes, the UOAs on the blend look good...it's still not a justification for why TGMO is the perfect thing to mix with GC (non-ILSAC, so the GF reference, not yours, isn't appropriate anyway).

The ASTM doesn't refer to UOAs, synergism in additives, just what I stated.

I'll probably just mix a quart of 5w20 GTX or Edge in with 3.5 quarts of GC......I like to mix within the same 'family' even though I'm sure that in reality it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'll probably just mix a quart of 5w20 GTX or Edge in with 3.5 quarts of GC......I like to mix within the same 'family' even though I'm sure that in reality it doesn't matter.

Why don't you just wait until summer? It's not the same family, the 5W-20 will be primarily Group II/III/II+. GC is PAO and POE. It's like dumbing down Mozart with the Sex Pistols...

Any mixing is pure guess work to get "a little bit of this and little bit of that.".................. You know the song.

Use the GC in small amounts as top up oil and be done with it.

If your vehicle doesn't use any oil give the GC away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back