Got terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go out on your own. Now, what I really think of retail and factory work, well, I cannot print it here................
49.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Worked at Lowe's for 9 1/2 years as a kitchen designer. I got terminated on Tuesday at 1pm, after a 1 hour lunch. Their reason was I didn't take a full hour lunch all the time and I didn't take lunch a couple of times. Maybe could it be we are grossly understaffed and they fired my associate months ago and I'm so over worked! Our HR person is a major [censored] who abuses the time off policy, she's on salary and polices herself and takes lots of time off, more than she is entitled to. I really enjoyed the designing and helping people get their dream kitchen at the price they can afford. I will not miss working in a big box retail store. If you believe in doing your best then big box retail will eat you alive.

Whimsey

Sorry about this.

However not taking a lunch on waged job is may be illegal for the employer when labor board in state digs up records. If you punched out and worked you would have been more compliant to what they care about.

My wife is a professional(Physical Therapist) but has to resort to punch in/out for lunch and break accounting. She gets in a lot of trouble for not taking a lunch break appropriately.

Retail sucks. I work in a grocery store, and getting complimented on a job well done by management is a kick in the nuts. By their logic if you can do a great job in a 6 hour shift you should still be able to do an acceptable job in a 4 hour shift. So the better you do the more you are punished.

NJ is an employment at will state and there is very little he can contest unless he can prove some sort of discrimination aka age or civil rights.

Sorry you lost your job.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I don't know if it's state or federal law but where I live if you don't take a 30min break before your 5th hour the employer has to pay you 1 extra hour.

They still should have warned him at least twice before terminating him, if they did it correctly the manager would have informed him that it is a violation of the labor law and it could be a serious fine for the company if he does not comply with those regs.

But my guess is the mangeler had a grudge against him and wanted him gone...Again OP.... contact Corporate HR and give them a rundown of how things went, they may want you to submit a written account, which you should do. If the OP liked the job he should try and keep it. The best revenge is to get the female mangler fired.

I’d second calling Lower’s HQ and explaining the situation. They really don’t want to lose people that enjoy their jobs. Too many people work at jobs they hate. BTW, I love my job.

I worked for a company that was a bit psycho, I received at least two written reprimands because I worked over six hours without taking a lunch. Of course, the owner was a major [censored] with a Caligula complex and always had ex-workers after him. I asked him about it and he said he didn't care how long I went but had to write me up to CYA, but other than that it didn't matter.

I suspect there is some bizarre corporate politics here that defies any logic...

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I don't know if it's state or federal law but where I live if you don't take a 30min break before your 5th hour the employer has to pay you 1 extra hour.

They still should have warned him at least twice before terminating him, if they did it correctly the manager would have informed him that it is a violation of the labor law and it could be a serious fine for the company if he does not comply with those regs.

But my guess is the mangeler had a grudge against him and wanted him gone...Again OP.... contact Corporate HR and give them a rundown of how things went, they may want you to submit a written account, which you should do. If the OP liked the job he should try and keep it. The best revenge is to get the female mangler fired.

I don't often agree with you, but yeah, they should have warned him and should be able to produce said signed warning statements...

Get out of Jersey! I did, and it's sooo much better here in Delaware. We have all kinds of big and small retail and NO SALES TAX. Cabela's even built a special smaller store to take advantage of all the outdoors people here that will flock from 4 states for tax free shopping, next to a big mall with a Nordstroms's as well as Macy's and Target. You'll like the laid back attitude here too.

Sorry to hear about your job loss.

That being said, grab your boot straps, pull yourself up, and turn it into something positive. There is sure to be a high end kitchen/bath shop that can use your skills. Or perhaps it's time to really become master of your own destiny and use your design skills to help home owners design their own kitchen/bath remodel. Your opportunities are only limited to your creativity and desire to succeed.

Ignore the heedless advise about getting even with the "mangeler". Use this as an opportunity to move on to bigger and better things. I'm willing to bet that 6 months from now you'll look back and realize that this is the best thing that could have happened to you. But only if you have the courage to embrace it and turn it into something positive. You can do it, now go out and make it happen.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

I agree, a couple of lunch issues isn't enough to terminate unless there is something else going on.

I was once told "if you do you job as a manager correctly it is never a surprise to anyone involved when someone is terminated".

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Nick R
It's always hilarious when employees get fired for working hard.

How is that hilarious?

Don't get me wrong. It's really [censored]. It's really hard to convey sarcasm via text. Specifically, when I say "hilarious" what I mean is, I've worked retail before. Quite a bit. And there are [censored] employees who do nothing, and just laze around, and nothing ever happens to them. But it always seems like it's the ones who work hard and go above and beyond that get canned.

Others have said something I was thinking. He has been there for almost 10 years, it probably has something to do with pay. I lost one of my previous retail jobs for the same reason. They canned me under a pretense that was a complete lie (similar situation, claiming I didn't take breaks I was supposed to), but the store manager was good friends with the HR representatives at corporate. And you know what? The person they hired in my place made $2/hr less than I did. What a coincidence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Ignore the heedless advise about getting even with the "mangeler". Use this as an opportunity to move on to bigger and better things. I'm willing to bet that 6 months from now you'll look back and realize that this is the best thing that could have happened to you. But only if you have the courage to embrace it and turn it into something positive. You can do it, now go out and make it happen.

Fact is the job situation for most folks is NOT rosy, so if the OP liked the job he should fight to keep it. It isn't Lowes that is the problem it is the local mangler, I not saying he should concentrate on getting her canned, but if that happens so be it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Worked at Lowe's for 9 1/2 years as a kitchen designer. I got terminated on Tuesday at 1pm, after a 1 hour lunch. Their reason was I didn't take a full hour lunch all the time and I didn't take lunch a couple of times. Maybe could it be we are grossly understaffed and they fired my associate months ago and I'm so over worked! Our HR person is a major a'hole who abuses the time off policy, she's on salary and polices herself and takes lots of time off, more than she is entitled to. I really enjoyed the designing and helping people get their dream kitchen at the price they can afford. I will not miss working in a big box retail store. If you believe in doing your best then big box retail will eat you alive.

Whimsey

Whimsey, sorry to hear about it. Aside from the previous comments there are 3 hopefully helpful things I'd like to say:

1: What is Lowe's termination policy? If written warnings are required and you received none, your job is safe.

2: Leaving by getting fired, even for something like this, is detrimental to your future job search...a 9 1/2 year employee fired will bring up lots of ?'s for any interviewer, who may or may not sympathize or believe your story.

3: In your position, I'd get the job back, by whatever means necessary, then put in your two week notice immediately. OR go speak to the HR representative (or store manager), and ask if you can be allowed to resign instead.

Best of luck with all this, it's Bullsnap for sure but sadly is the way corporations work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back