Got terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked at Lowe's for 9 1/2 years as a kitchen designer. I got terminated on Tuesday at 1pm, after a 1 hour lunch. Their reason was I didn't take a full hour lunch all the time and I didn't take lunch a couple of times. Maybe could it be we are grossly understaffed and they fired my associate months ago and I'm so over worked! Our HR person is a major [censored] who abuses the time off policy, she's on salary and polices herself and takes lots of time off, more than she is entitled to. I really enjoyed the designing and helping people get their dream kitchen at the price they can afford. I will not miss working in a big box retail store. If you believe in doing your best then big box retail will eat you alive.

Whimsey

Call Lowes corporate HQ HR and politely explain your experience. You may be surprised and get your job back, and your manager may be fired herself. Try it, you have nothing to lose..

It's always hilarious when employees get fired for working hard. Typically in situations like this they would warn you on stuff like this, before the State DoL gets involved.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Call Lowes corporate HQ HR and politely explain your experience. You may be surprised and get your job back, and your manager may be fired herself. Try it, you have nothing to lose..

The problem is these big companies take Labor stuff very seriously, because it makes them look bad if they get found out to be violating labor laws. In this case, he isn't the one who would get yelled at by the NJ DoL, it would be the store. And that causes all kinds of legal issues they'd rather just avoid in the first place.

My wife worked for a similar company here- management was hostile to the workforce, causing a lot of turnover. She finally quit and works in another retail business, but work environment is totally opposite, I don't think she will leave there until ready for retirement. Being respected is vital to a enjoying a job. Maybe you could start your own design business?

Sorry to hear.

Did the corporate thing until ~40. Last time I got the boot I sucked it up and struck out on my own (with the knowledge drilled into me from above over the years).
One of the smartest things I've ever done...for me and the family.
smile.gif

Almost 10 years in the kitchen department you won't have any trouble finding work! Good luck!!

Corporate America rewards overpromising and mediocre delivery. Be honest and have a quality focus and you will surely be punished.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
The problem is these big companies take Labor stuff very seriously, because it makes them look bad if they get found out to be violating labor laws.

It isn't because they look bad it's because this costs them big money - 1.5x the normal hourly wage for unpaid overtime, plus that much again in penalties.

Had a job that I really loved but the folks above me had no clue as to what was going on and kept cutting the help (24 hour a day operation).

Answer was overtime and double shifts.

Retired and looking back should have done that about 2 years before I actually did.

Have been retired for over 10 years now.

You mean the person who has local control over payroll may have been working less than she claimed?
It's not as though HR people everywhere don't practice that kind of abuse.
You were there nearly ten years and got fired for taking a longish lunch?
I don't think so.
There must be something more going on here.
Did you get into an altercation with the wrong employee?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You mean the person who has local control over payroll may have been working less than she claimed?
I don't think so.

OP wasn't fire for taking a long lunch, he was fired for taking TOO SHORT lunches. Because lollaborlaws

They're jerks. Blind them with your future success, and best wishes in such endeavors.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I don't think so.

Stuff like technical timecard violations can be proxies for they just want someone gone, and don't want them getting unemployment b/c it'll raise their insurance rates.

Doesn't mean they're not jerks, or just looking to replace OP with someone $2 cheaper.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Had a job that I really loved but the folks above me had no clue as to what was going on and kept cutting the help (24 hour a day operation).

Answer was overtime and double shifts.

Retired and looking back should have done that about 2 years before I actually did.

Have been retired for over 10 years now.

I didn't retire, but went part time. I'm glad that I did and know how you
feel.
Whimsey, good luck wherever you go! I wish you the best.

Its difficult working retail. It wouldn't surprise me if the OP was making good money and they got rid of him for a part-timer with no benefits. I hope you land another job soon. Something is very fishy if you got fired for the reason they gave you.

Whimsey,
Are you looking for a career change.... or do you want to continue in the same type of field ?
Any schooling or technical training besides retail ?

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Worked at Lowe's for 9 1/2 years as a kitchen designer. I got terminated on Tuesday at 1pm, after a 1 hour lunch. Their reason was I didn't take a full hour lunch all the time and I didn't take lunch a couple of times. Maybe could it be we are grossly understaffed and they fired my associate months ago and I'm so over worked! Our HR person is a major a'hole who abuses the time off policy, she's on salary and polices herself and takes lots of time off, more than she is entitled to. I really enjoyed the designing and helping people get their dream kitchen at the price they can afford. I will not miss working in a big box retail store. If you believe in doing your best then big box retail will eat you alive.

Whimsey

Go to a Home Depot. They would probably love to get you as employee. Like many retailers, someone sees the big numbers and they may come down on the store manager for not making employees take the full lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back