Amsoil gear oil for 2002 ML320 differentials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MB says the gear oil for the front and rear differentials of my ML320 (non-LS) should be hypoid gear oil complying with sheet 235.7. In WIS there is a reference to two part numbers, one 75W-85 and the other 80W-90. The MB recommended service products for 2004 indicates it should be 85W-90.

I asked Amsoil which gear oil they recommended and I got a reply that if I am concerned about warranty, I should get MB specified products, otherwise use either Amsoil 75W-90 or 80W-90. I noticed there are two different 75W-90 and one 80W-90.

I don't mind spending a bit more money to get the severe gear 75W-90, but is that the best choice for this vehicle?

Any full synthetic 75w90 will work fine.

If Amsoil is your brand, use the severe gear 75w90.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Any full synthetic 75w90 will work fine.

If Amsoil is your brand, use the severe gear 75w90.
Thanks for the reply. It's not so much that Amsoil is my brand, but it is relatively easy to get.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I would actually use Amsoil 75W-110. Closer to the original specification.
Thanks for the reply, but would mind clarifying how you arrived at that conclusion?

Originally Posted By: bimmerdriver
Thanks for the reply, but would mind clarifying how you arrived at that conclusion?

No problem. Around 2006 the SAE J306 specification changed. Adding the 110 viscosity (among other changes). This new viscosity split the old SAE 90 range in two. The new SAE 90 is the lower half and the new SAE 110 is the upper half. Best demonstrated here:

http://www.lubrizol.com/J306.aspx?id=33216&terms=J306

Amsoil SVG is 16.7 cSt @ 100° C
Amsoil SVT is 20.4 cSt @ 100° C

SVT at 20.4 is just closer to the center of the specification originally required in 2002. SVG would be OK, but SVT will provide better protection at temp.

No problem. Around 2006 the SAE J306 specification changed. Adding the 110 viscosity (among other changes). This new viscosity split the old SAE 90 range in two. The new SAE 90 is the lower half and the new SAE 110 is the upper half.

SVT at 20.4 is just closer to the center of the specification originally required in 2002. SVG would be OK, but SVT will provide better protection at temp.
Thanks for the informative response. I managed to find a reference to SAE J306 1998 which showed exactly what you said.

. . . oil complying with sheet 235.7 . . .

I asked Amsoil which gear oil they recommended and I got a reply that if I am concerned about warranty, I should get MB specified products, otherwise use either Amsoil 75W-90 or 80W-90.

Interesting. I had a similar query in with AMSOil, and today I received a response:
Originally Posted By: Mail TechService
Al;

At this time we do not offer a product meeting M/B 235.7 requirements.

Byron Selbrede

Technical Services

And nothing about warranty status or the desirability to remain within spec.

Around 2006 the SAE J306 specification changed. Adding the 110 viscosity (among other changes). This new viscosity split the old SAE 90 range in two. The new SAE 90 is the lower half and the new SAE 110 is the upper half. Best demonstrated here:

Pablo, has anything changed since you wrote this? I may have a well-out-of-warranty rig in my garage soon that calls for 235.7 for the non-LS diff. To be clear, I'll be servicing this for myself, not a paying customer, so the decision on which lube to use impacts only myself.

Originally Posted By: asavage
. . . oil complying with sheet 235.7 . . .

I asked Amsoil which gear oil they recommended and I got a reply that if I am concerned about warranty, I should get MB specified products, otherwise use either Amsoil 75W-90 or 80W-90.

Interesting. I had a similar query in with AMSOil, and today I received a response:
Originally Posted By: Mail TechService
Al;

At this time we do not offer a product meeting M/B 235.7 requirements.

Byron Selbrede

Technical Services

And nothing about warranty status or the desirability to remain within spec.

Around 2006 the SAE J306 specification changed. Adding the 110 viscosity (among other changes). This new viscosity split the old SAE 90 range in two. The new SAE 90 is the lower half and the new SAE 110 is the upper half. Best demonstrated here:

Pablo, has anything changed since you wrote this? I may have a well-out-of-warranty rig in my garage soon that calls for 235.7 for the non-LS diff. To be clear, I'll be servicing this for myself, not a paying customer, so the decision on which lube to use impacts only myself.

Nothing has changed. You are in Duvall?

Funny, I didn't receive a Topic Reply email for your response.

Yes, I live up near Cedarcrest in Taylor's Ridge. I've been a Preferred customer for about a decade, which works well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back