Amelia Earhart Plane Fragment Identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://news.discovery.com/history/us-his...lane-141028.htm

Quote:

A fragment of Amelia Earhart's lost aircraft has been identified to a high degree of certainty for the first time ever since her plane vanished over the Pacific Ocean on July 2, 1937, in a record attempt to fly around the world at the equator.

New research strongly suggests that a piece of aluminum aircraft debris recovered in 1991 from Nikumaroro, an uninhabited atoll in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati, does belong to Earhart’s twin-engined Lockheed Electra.

PLAY VIDEO
Amelia Earhart Search Continuing
The search for Amelia Earhart is about to continue in the pristine waters of a tiny uninhabited island, Nikumaroro, between Hawaii and Australia.
TIGHAR
According to researchers at The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR), which has long been investigating the last, fateful flight taken by Earhart 77 years ago, the aluminum sheet is a patch of metal installed on the Electra during the aviator’s eight-day stay in Miami, which was the fourth stop on her attempt to circumnavigate the globe.

The patch replaced a navigational window: A Miami Herald photo shows the Electra departing for San Juan, Puerto Rico on the morning of Tuesday, June 1, 1937 with a shiny patch of metal where the window had been.

“The Miami Patch was an expedient field repair," Ric Gillespie, executive director of TIGHAR, told Discovery News. "Its complex fingerprint of dimensions, proportions, materials and rivet patterns was as unique to Earhart’s Electra as a fingerprint is to an individual."

TIGHAR researchers went to Wichita Air Services in Newton, Kans., and compared the dimensions and features of the Artifact 2-2-V-1, as the metal sheet found on Nikumaroro was called, with the structural components of a Lockheed Electra being restored to airworthy condition.

The rivet pattern and other features on the 19-inch-wide by 23-inch-long Nikumaroro artifact matched the patch and lined up with the structural components of the Lockheed Electra. TIGHAR detailed the finding in a report on its website.

“This is the first time an artifact found on Nikumaroro has been shown to have a direct link to Amelia Earhart,” Gillespie said.

The breakthrough would prove that, contrary to what was generally believed, Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, did not crash in the Pacific Ocean, running out of fuel somewhere near their target destination of Howland Island.

Instead, they made a forced landing on Nikumaroro' smooth, flat coral reef. The two became castaways and eventually died on the atoll, which is some 350 miles southeast of Howland Island.

"To a high degree of certainty"

Seems legit.
SeemsLegit.png

So they found some "aluminum" and got their panties in a bunch.

That plane is 14000 feet under the sea.

So...if this is the plane, then what? They then will celebrate the findings of an aircraft that crashed 77 years ago piloted by a pioneering woman of flight. This isn't going to have any impact on anything. Maybe some closure for some fans of hers...that's about it.

What a waste of time and money.

I'm glad they found that piece. Hopefully it does help solve the mystery of what really happened.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

Who determines what was a waste of time and money? I'm sure that whatever technology they are using search for remains can lead to refinements that benefit us all.

Was reading about this earlier , have tried to keep up with this story since the 70s.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
So...if this is the plane, then what? They then will celebrate the findings of an aircraft that crashed 77 years ago piloted by a pioneering woman of flight. This isn't going to have any impact on anything. Maybe some closure for some fans of hers...that's about it.

This thread and topic are obviously not for you then.

It peaked my interest. Thanks for posting.

Things long lost then found, sort of like the Titanic. That ship was a great mystery to all in the time I grew up. In my middle age they found it. What a discovery! They had a Titanic exhibit and artifact display at The Franklin Institute many years ago. As part of the display, you could touch one of the recovered plates from the hull. And I found myself there actually touching the Titanic. It moved me...

Last edited:
This isn't really 'new' info, but with the Newton addition it was probably about time to 'add' to it-maybe some more $ will come in. I was always interested in the early aviators starting with Lindbergh and Earhart due to their Minnesota connections. Complicated and interesting personalities as well as Earhart being a risk taking woman aviation pioneer and Lindbergh as a very sharp almost self educated fella in many areas who understood the ways to manage the risks so that it was more a task to be acomplished

Ric Gillespie has made a good living discovering artifacts on this atoll, none of which has lead to the discovery of Earhart's plane. Earhart's navigator, Fred Noonan, was the best aircraft navigator in the world. He got her within about 250 miles of Howland, where she crashed and sank. She had mismanaged fuel, and ran out somewhere near Howland. She did not have the fuel to fly to the atoll, nor did she know it existed.

Earhart was a gutsy woman, and her husband was a great promoter. She was not a great pilot, and had extremely low hours. She signed her death warrant when she fired Paul Mantz as her advisor.

I would bet the farm Gillespie will never find her plane. She is at 16,000 feet near Howl and.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Maybe Amelia and Fred can finally be recognized as hero's that risked it all on a spy mission for FDR.

Here we go....thread headed into oblivion.

Yep. I spent all summer reading every book on Earhart. Not a spy. Never flew close to Japanese occupied islands, and flew several hundred miles away from the Japanese islands, and at night.

The lady and her husband were counting on the second attempt at the around the world flight to restore their finances. They were insolvent after her first attempt at the round the world flight ended in the ground loop in Hawaii.

Elgin Long wrote the best book ,IMO, on the probable reasons she never reached Howland Island.

Originally Posted By: GregGA
Ric Gillespie has made a good living discovering artifacts on this atoll, none of which has lead to the discovery of Earhart's plane. Earhart's navigator, Fred Noonan, was the best aircraft navigator in the world. He got her within about 250 miles of Howland, where she crashed and sank. She had mismanaged fuel, and ran out somewhere near Howland. She did not have the fuel to fly to the atoll, nor did she know it existed.

Earhart was a gutsy woman, and her husband was a great promoter. She was not a great pilot, and had extremely low hours. She signed her death warrant when she fired Paul Mantz as her advisor.

I would bet the farm Gillespie will never find her plane. She is at 16,000 feet near Howl and.

I think it was time to refill the donation tank.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back