post your latest transmission lubricant change.

1982. Vw Scirocco

OUT: 2 litres Millers Nanotechnology 75w90 gl4
IN: 2 litres 50/50 mix of Redline MT90 & MTL

Instantly smoother and quieter.

Redline > Millers

OUT;
Ravenol MTF-2

IN;

Good ol' reliable Red Line D4

Despite what the concensus on here is about an ATF being incapable of protecting a manual gearbox's bearings and gears, I have spoken to many people who actually rebuild these specific transmissions (T56es/TR6060s) and they have said that the shear forces in an AT are MUCH greater than those in a manual due to smaller (planetary) gears and bearings, which are under MUCH higher pressures.

So a GREAT, shear proof, ATF like the D4, which is rated as a GL-4 protection level fluid must be fine in this gearbox.

Besides, it shifts sooooo much nicer with this stuff in there, especially in the cold ambient temps.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
OUT;
Ravenol MTF-2

IN;

Good ol' reliable Red Line D4

Despite what the concensus on here is about an ATF being incapable of protecting a manual gearbox's bearings and gears, I have spoken to many people who actually rebuild these specific transmissions (T56es/TR6060s) and they have said that the shear forces in an AT are MUCH greater than those in a manual due to smaller (planetary) gears and bearings, which are under MUCH higher pressures.

So a GREAT, shear proof, ATF like the D4, which is rated as a GL-4 protection level fluid must be fine in this gearbox.

Besides, it shifts sooooo much nicer with this stuff in there, especially in the cold ambient temps.
wink.gif

Given that most failures of these gearboxes are synchros/forks/related parts rather than gears/bearings, I'd go with what shifts best. They seem to have big enough gears and bearings to survive fine even on crummy old Dex III, even though it's not ideal.

My latest (several months ago):

Car: Holden Commodore SS
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Out: Generic Dexron III
In: Castrol Transmax Z (same as Transynd)

Shifts exactly the same, can be very stiff going into 2nd on freezing mornings. I might have to try some D4. Transmax Z is popular here because it's cheaper and easier to get than the boutique oils. Cheapest I can get a gallon of D4 is $105
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: undertow
Shifts exactly the same, can be very stiff going into 2nd on freezing mornings. I might have to try some D4. Transmax Z is popular here because it's cheaper and easier to get than the boutique oils. Cheapest I can get a gallon of D4 is $105
cry.gif

Yes, A LOT of those same rebuilders also suggest the Transynd type ATFs as well, and that was actually recommended for the earlier Vipers' T56es, since they had very little cooling air passing over their gearboxes, and that stuff could handle the heat better than most Dex 3 ATFs could.
wink.gif

WOW, you pay MORE THAN TWICE what I did for my gallon of D4, including shipping!!
eek.gif

Second change of Castrol Transmax Dexron VI in the Traverse. It came to me with 99,400 miles and the ATF was brown, don't know if it had ever been changed. Shifts had been a bit hesitant, and the 3-4 shift had a bit of shudder. Fluid shows bright red now, and shifts are much quicker with no more shuddering.

1976 Chevrolet Corvette TH350

Out: Unknown fluid and felt type filter

In: Mobil Super Dexron VI and Pro-King nylon screen and gasket.

2013 camry hybrid cvt drain/fill at 30k miles. Refilled with 3.9 qts of ATF WS. Crush washer part number is 90430-a0003 in case anyone else wants to know

126k Equinox.

Out - Maxlife
In - Maxlife.

For anybody who has done a manual change for the Aisin Warner 5 speeds for the Equinox they are TERRIBLE. There is a transmission bracket that makes it challenging to access the bolt that holds the dipstick in place. Besides the bracket it would otherwise be a breeze.

Last summer I changed the gear oil in my 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ G56 6-speed manual. It had about 84k miles on the odometer.

Out: Factory fill synthetic ATF+4, approx six quarts

In: Amsoil MTG 75W-90 synthetic gear lube, seven quarts

This is actually an interesting case study. When Dodge starting putting the G56 in Ram 2500/3500 pickups in 2005, Mopar did not carry a part number for a gear oil that met the nominal specs for the transmission. Not sure how much thought they put into the process, but they put synthetic ATF+4 in the transmissions when they assembled the trucks and listed it in the specifications for the owner's manual. Apparently that same transmission is used in Mercedes Benz trucks in Europe, and they spec MOBILTRANS SHC-DC or another gear oil with a MB part number. Anyway, fast forward a few years and some guys who are towing heavy with their Cummins-powered Rams are getting transmission failures due to inadequate lubrication. On the Cummins Forum (check out this huge thread) there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests using a 75W-90 or 50W GL-4 gear oil. Mobiltrans SHC-DC isn't readily available in the US, but Mobil Delvac 50 seems to be a similar product. Some guys are using Pennzoil Syncromesh. At least a few are using Amsoil MTG, and being an Amsoil fan that is what I used too. There is even a product called Gorilla Juice that a guy formulated just for the G56 transmission, but it's $18/qt.

Another helpful hint from reading the forums: Six quarts is not enough to properly lubricate the front bearing when driving up a steep grade. The fix is to overfill by one quart, either by lifting the passenger side via ramps or a jack to get more oil in the fill hole, or removing the shift tower/shifter from the top and adding oil into the top of the transmission. I did the latter method.

With the thicker oil the trans is a little stiff when cold, but at normal operating temps it feels good. Hopefully the Amsoil MTG will allow me to run this transmission for a long time.

2001 Supercharged Frontier

4 Speed Auto

Drain, and fill. 4 quarts of Castrol Dexron 3.

Trans has never been flushed. Pan has never been dropped.
Drain, and fills every 15k give or take.

260,000 miles. Transmission works perfectly.

Took the 4R to the dealer and had them use the fluid exchanger and replaced the 12 quarts of Toyota WS with the same. 57K on the odometer.

Navara
TX Case
Out - ATF
In - 5W30 synthetic engine oil for 900km - out
In Cheif Tanoa 75W90 GL5 semi synthetic.

Gearbox
Out 300ml of 75W85 (5.1 litres in total)
In 300ml of Morey's oil booster (to add 1/2 cst, in preparation for a proper change).

Caprice
Diff
Out 85W140 GL5 LS
In Chief Tanoa 75W90 GL5 semi synth, Nulon G70.

2000 Rav4

Auto Trans
Out: Penrite MHP (T-IV)
In: Penrite Multivehicle MHP (same stuff)

Transfer case: Penrite 80w90
Diff: Penrite 80w90

Last edited:
2011 GMC Sierra ECSB 2WD 6L80E

Out: OE fluid w/ 36 months & ~51500 miles

In: ~6 quarts SuperTech Dexron-VI + AC Delco #24236933 filter

Minimal clutch debris and no shavings.
smile.gif

Did the second ATF drain and fill on the Civic two months ago. Car has almost 60k now so I would imagine that I am running 2/3 ML ATF to 1/3 DW-1. So far so good, shifts fantastic.

Back