Lubrication Engineers 8854 in 2011 3.0L VW Touareg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Particulars are 48,604 miles on engine, 6,765 miles on this oil fill. No oil used so on additional oil added. Fuel milage consistent. Previous UOAs with different oils can be found under my user name for comparison.

910203-PENDLETON-VLW-TOU-11-ENG.jpg

Good report and you must be driving on clean roads and in clean air as the Silicon figure is very low.
The only odd thing is that the Calcium figure seems low for a diesel oil, so I wonder what the VOA of this oil looks like in terms of detergent additives. Most car diesel UOA results show Ca of around 2500 mark.
Obviously the OCI can be extended if you wish and most of the VW owners in Germany would be doing at least 10K mile OCI's unless they spend a lot of time in traffic etc.
If you use Blackstones they have a very good data base of UOA results to give you some average figures to compare with. I was most impressed by them figuring out the diesel in my Volvo had the same block as a Renault Laguna that they had data for (Only petrol V40's were sold in the USA) and giving me those figures as a comparison.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wensteph
skyship, the LE 8854 is a heavy duty OTR oil, not a car formulation. Here's a link to their spec sheet http://products.lelubricants.com/Asset/8854.pdf

My silicon figure has always been in this range. I don't off road and change out the air filter every 10K miles. I guess VW has a well sealed air box.

Dirty air filters are more efficient than cleans ones, so the low Silicon figure is not service schedule related, but VW must be using a real good air filter unit and element to get such a good figure.
I took a look at the specs but very few companies tell you much about their oil contents, so I am still surprised at the low Calcium figure. It would be interesting to see a VOA to figure out what the add pack looks like.

They use calcium and magnesium detergents. Some other oils also use sodium detergents. A UOA is suitable for looking at an oil's additive pack with the caveat that boron is the only metallic additive element whose concentration decreases from engine operation (it decreases).

If you are going to use that oil with 1% sulphated ash why not just go with Delvac 1 ESP? Maybe this stuff is cheaper? It cannot be any easier to get than Delvac 1?

What oil did you eventually decide to use?

Thanks,
Karl

WRT calcium in LE 8854 you can see in my report (#2 and 3) that the calcium figure is similarly low. Must be their formulation
LE 8854 F350

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back