Snow vs ice tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run the 255's on my truck, I'm cheap. I've toyed with getting more meaty looking tires, but it's a pavement queen so IMO the look is not justified. I also have been, for the last couple years, avoiding driving in snow as much as possible. I like driving in snow, but making a one hour commute into two when I could just stay home and work on my laptop instead just doesn't appeal to me.

Ergo, the direction of the question. 95% of my driving is bare pavement, once in a while I drive through a foot of snow. If I can milk another winter out of my Jetta the truck will sit for most of the winter. Or I might decide I like heat and drive the truck at a rate of 2kmiles per month or more.

If I could do a set of meaty looking tires that did better in snow maybe I would do that. It doesn't seem to be the case.

Originally Posted By: supton
I run the 255's on my truck, I'm cheap. I've toyed with getting more meaty looking tires, but it's a pavement queen so IMO the look is not justified. I also have been, for the last couple years, avoiding driving in snow as much as possible. I like driving in snow, but making a one hour commute into two when I could just stay home and work on my laptop instead just doesn't appeal to me.

Ergo, the direction of the question. 95% of my driving is bare pavement, once in a while I drive through a foot of snow. If I can milk another winter out of my Jetta the truck will sit for most of the winter. Or I might decide I like heat and drive the truck at a rate of 2kmiles per month or more.

If I could do a set of meaty looking tires that did better in snow maybe I would do that. It doesn't seem to be the case.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
255/70-18..... you have studdable winter tires from Cooper and Hankook...

275/65r18... then you have Nokian Rotiiva AT available also, if you need "All-weather" tire (as well as Hakkapeliita LT 2 & R2 SUV as dedicated snows)

tirerack with those 2 sizes... no snow tires available.

Meaty looking tires as in, something I could run in summer; not necessarily a winter. Sorry, wasn't clear on that.

Looks like, if I want snow traction, then there is no choice but snows. Either Blizzaks from Tirerack, or Nokians, or I'm sure there are some cheapies someplace.

I will be using the set of Nokian Vatiiva that came wiht my Cherokee for this winter.

They were replaced by the Rotiiva. EXCELLENT tire in the snow and ice. Seriously - for not being a snow / ice tire ,they just did great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back