Old Camaro Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my buddy has been looking for a '68 or '69 Camaro for a very long time, and I mean like 5 years. Seems like many of the ones are in poor shape, or any reasonably priced ones that are in good shape are snatched up by a local muscle car dealer that resells them for over $10,000 more than they bought it for. We've been up and down the East Coast on wild goose chases, usually ending in some shoddy bodywork, undisclosed damage, and generally just not as good a shape as the pictures online depict. Are there any shows coming up this fall or winter where I could look at several under 1 roof? Looking to stay in the $35,000 range, SS or Z-28.

Last edited:
That's a tough one-as if you didn't know already. They are high demand and dollar, were often driven hard and didn't age particularly well generally. Many, many 'restorations' of cars that I've examined are poorly done and those 'done right' are unafordable for most folks. I had a '70 Z-28 and while I'd like to have it back in the great 16k mile condition it was in when slolen, wouldn't even consider spending what that would take today. Good luck anyway!

There are so many reproduction parts available for the '69 Camaro these days, you can practically build your own.

I thought I had read at one time someone was going to sell bodies for them. As in, could make a whole new one. Probably vaporware--lots of people would like that, but probably unwilling to shell out the bucks.

I do wonder what it'd cost to start with a rusty hulk and work your way up. Just need the VIN tag to be legal?

Yeah you just need the firewall and can buy the rest of the body. If it's a "barn find" without title one can register/ have it registered in Maine then that reg. gets turned into a title if needed in one's home state.

Not knocking your buddy's desire, but that particular year/body style seems like the pinnacle of hype of the genre. Even Hot Rod Magazine admits when they run a pic of a 68-69 on the cover they sell a few more thousand copies on newsstands.

Originally Posted By: supton
I thought I had read at one time someone was going to sell bodies for them. As in, could make a whole new one. Probably vaporware--lots of people would like that, but probably unwilling to shell out the bucks.

I do wonder what it'd cost to start with a rusty hulk and work your way up. Just need the VIN tag to be legal?

Not vaporware...

Start here, just be warned, you're going to spend some time dreaming about a Camaro!

https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/1967.81.camaro/body/body-shells/coupe-and-convertible

The bodies are made in Taiwan and it's a [censored] whether you get parts that fit right or not. Have you considered a second gen? IMO these are nicer and not as expensive.

if you think finding a decent, reasonably priced ss/Z28 is tough, try finding a fairly original base model/RS that still has a 6cyl engine. one that hasn't been "upgraded" over the years by someone.

That's my "if money were no object" gift i'd try to find for my dad. He bought a base model 67 brand new, kept it until 71 when they had my sister, when he traded it in (on a Beetle) b/c with 2 kids, it wasn't enough of a family car...

Personally I like the '70 and '71 Z28s way better as far as looks go, and they're certainly cheaper.

With all those TV shows like gas monkey, counts cars, the velocity channel....forget it. Everybody that has a "barn" car is wanting top dollar, regardless of condition. It's funny, those shows all make it look like it's easy to get, and then build them up within an hour.

Yeah, everybody wants a '69, to the point that it's become a cliche. And the collector car market will probably ensure that all 1st Gen Camaro's are unreasonably expensive. Probably the only route is to build a Dynacorn car from scratch, and outfit it with late-model engine, trans, suspension, brakes, etc. Can this be done for about the cost of a new Camaro? (Which is sort of a cartoon version of a '69, but heavier and not as good looking.)

I sold this '67 about 20 years ago. Sometimes I miss having a convertible, that car let me talk to girls I had no business talking to...

camaro.jpg

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Yeah, everybody wants a '69, to the point that it's become a cliche. And the collector car market will probably ensure that all 1st Gen Camaro's are unreasonably expensive. Probably the only route is to build a Dynacorn car from scratch, and outfit it with late-model engine, trans, suspension, brakes, etc. Can this be done for about the cost of a new Camaro? (Which is sort of a cartoon version of a '69, but heavier and not as good looking.)

Yes, and the 5th gens only serve to AMPLIFY the cost/value and hype of the latter 1st gens they are loosely based on.
frown.gif

The fact that soooo many use the 1st and 2nd gens as their $100K++ build of choice for the pro touring, and Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge road racing and autocross series has not kept their values low either.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: montero1
Personally I like the '70 and '71 Z28s way better as far as looks go, and they're certainly cheaper.

Me too; I love the 1970 RS Z/28- one of the most beautiful designs ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back