Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum, which one???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the two...

Is the Pennzoil Platinum equivalent to regular Mobil 1 and the Ultra Platinum equivalent to the Ultra Platinum?

What's the difference?

How do I know which one to go with?

I have a 2014 CTS-V Coupe with the manual transmission.

I thought you were sticking with M1 until you saw proof that something else was better...

Just wondering if you found evidence or just changed your mind. It's all part of the BITOG ocd.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Ok, fine. Where is some concrete data that shows Pennzoil Ultra and Ultra Platinum to be better than Mobil 1? I want to believe, but I am not finding anything that will convince me to switch from Mobil 1 to Pennzoil.

Last edited:
I was thinking of trying one of them for one OCI and to see how the car runs. I haven't bought it yet, but I was wondering which one to go with, IF I do try it.

I will be keeping this car for awhile as they stopped making them and it is just way too much fun to drive.

I typed in something that didn't make sense in my original post.

Is Pennzoil Platinum equivalent to regular Mobil 1 and is the Ultra Platinum equivalent to Mobil 1 Extended Performance?

One OCI will show you less than nothing. 2 OCI's will show you almost nothing. If you are comparing the 2 oils or the 4 oils or whatever with the information at hand then you'd be making your choice based on which one is the cheapest or which one has the most attractive packaging or is sold at the most convenient location. Any one of those methods is as good as any other method given the information at hand beyond marketing copy.

Yes...

M1 EP = PUP (although Pennzl doesnt mkt it as an extnded oci oil)
M1......= PPP

M1 EP = Edge EP (gold bttle)
M1......= Edge (blk bttle)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
One OCI will show you less than nothing. 2 OCI's will show you almost nothing. If you are comparing the 2 oils or the 4 oils or whatever with the information at hand then you'd be making your choice based on which one is the cheapest or which one has the most attractive packaging or is sold at the most convenient location. Any one of those methods is as good as any other method given the information at hand beyond marketing copy.

Absolutely +1

No offense but it won't "run" any differently. Possibly may sound different. I doubt you will notice much with such a new engine.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
No offense but it won't "run" any differently. Possibly may sound different. I doubt you will notice much with such a new engine.

I guess maybe I will stick with what I have. I ran out of Mobil 1, so I was just kicking around the idea.

Who knows if Pennzoil is really better than Mobil 1.

Right now, I am still just breaking in the new engine. I have 4,600 miles on it now and still on the first OCI with Mobil 1. Dropped factory fill synthetic blend at 1,754 miles. I don't see how the factory fill would last 7K miles on average. When I drained it, it was blacker than tar.

Originally Posted By: beast3300

I guess maybe I will stick with what I have. I ran out of Mobil 1, so I was just kicking around the idea.

Who knows if Pennzoil is really better than Mobil 1.

Right now, I am still just breaking in the new engine. I have 4,600 miles on it now and still on the first OCI with Mobil 1. Dropped factory fill synthetic blend at 1,754 miles. I don't see how the factory fill would last 7K miles on average. When I drained it, it was blacker than tar.

Very true. The color and consistency is the most accurate determinant whether the oil still has life or not. There is no way the factory fill was good if it was as black as tar.

Secondly, I have tried Mobil 1 and EP. I have also tried Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra. They were all awesome. The only difference I noticed is it seemed like the engine was slightly quieter with the Pennzoil products. Or it could totally be in my head. I say try a round of Ultra or Platinum if you can easily get your hands on it. See if the ol' butt dyno approves.

Dark oil means...

'These are signs that the motor oil is doing its job of keeping soot, dirt, and other combustion contaminants in suspension to be carried to the filter or removed from the crankcase when the oil is changed'. -Quaker State

Its just doing its job but doesnt necessarily mean its done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma

Very true. The color and consistency is the most accurate determinant whether the oil still has life or not.

Wrong.

I was thinking of trying one of them for one OCI and to see how the car runs. I haven't bought it yet, but I was wondering which one to go with, IF I do try it.

I will be keeping this car for awhile as they stopped making them and it is just way too much fun to drive.

I typed in something that didn't make sense in my original post.

Is Pennzoil Platinum equivalent to regular Mobil 1 and is the Ultra Platinum equivalent to Mobil 1 Extended Performance?

What next?

A Ford?

Is the Pennzoil Platinum equivalent to regular Mobil 1 and the Ultra Platinum equivalent to the Ultra Platinum?
What's the difference?

Pretty significant. You probably saw the label that both oils are made from natural gas. False from A to Z. Usual marketing cheating.
Look on MSDS of Ultra: http://www.epc.shell.com/documentRetrieve.asp?documentId=106771084
Content:

Fischer-Tropsch derived base oil, consisting largely of branched, cyclic and linear hydrocarbons
having carbon numbers in the range of C18 to C50.
Highly refined mineral oils and additives.
The highly refined mineral oil contains w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346.
The highly refined mineral oil is only present as additive diluent.

Bold selected staff is what we are talking about: from natural gas to oil.

Read MSDS for Platinum: http://www.epc.shell.com/documentRetrieve.asp?documentId=71051707
Content:

Blend of a synthetic ester, polyolefin and additives.

No Fischer-Tropsch mentioned at all. Where the promised "made from natural gas"? One from two:
1. MSDS is false or obsolete (I don't believe, Version 1.4, Effective Date 02/05/2014 for PP and Version 1.1 from same date for PU).
2. PP is NOT made from natural gas.

Nothing wrong with PP. This does not mean that it is not sitable for most of engine. But I always ask not to listen TV ads with open mouth. Remember, the prime purpose of all companies in the world is money. Period.

Originally Posted By: timeau
No Fischer-Tropsch mentioned at all. Where the promised "made from natural gas"? One from two:
1. MSDS is false or obsolete (I don't believe, Version 1.4, Effective Date 02/05/2014 for PP and Version 1.1 from same date for PU).

As I've said before, we read way too much into MSD sheets.

Originally Posted By: timeau

Read MSDS for Platinum: http://www.epc.shell.com/documentRetrieve.asp?documentId=71051707
Content:

Blend of a synthetic ester, polyolefin and additives.

Nothing wrong with PP. This does not mean that it is not sitable for most of engine. But I always ask not to listen TV ads with open mouth. Remember, the prime purpose of all companies in the world is money. Period.

If you think listing "synthetic esters, polyolefin" means these materials did not come from natural gas, can you explain your evidence trail?

Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
Very true. The color and consistency is the most accurate determinant whether the oil still has life or not. There is no way the factory fill was good if it was as black as tar.

Isn't that claim totally contrary to claims from motor oil manufacturers?

I can't remember which, but one of the motor oil manufacturers put a short video together, showing different characteristics of motor oil. One of the most significant points they made, was showing two oil samples that, by apperaance of color and consistency, most would judge it to be beyond useful life. But they explained that while one was beyond life, the other was still quite useful. they made a point of stating that, contrary to old back yard mechanics, used oil cannot be judged by these characteristics.

according to sopus when I called them they told me the difference between the two is that ultra has more of the cleaning detergent and that was it,when it comes to wear protection and everything else they are both the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back