Honda XLV1000-22,000km, Amsoil MCF for1year, 5000k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil filter changed 9,000km ago, but oil 5,000km and I year ago.
I asked them If I can keep the oil for more than a year.
Here is the - not clear to me - answer.

Sounds like you can do the one year oil change if you like. New motor is still breaking in according to the mileage on the unit. Everything should settle down and you can start trending the next few samples if you are going to keep sampling. If not do one once or twice a year to check on things.

One year, and 5k km? That's about 3k miles, right? Not many miles in a year.

Even the vaunted Amsoil claims the "... or one year" OCI mentality. Might as well change it, even though there's no real sense to.

Which begs the never ending question; why use such a premium oil when the mileage is so low? You're not going to get the "value" out of premium oil when you don't use it to its full potential. Any HDEO could go this far (and more) for a lot less money, and offer similar if not the same results. I'm not completely schooled on the HDEO's in Greece, but there's got to be some European HDEO's worthy of consideration that would be easily sourced and price conscious.

Last edited:
I am afraid that you are correct...
That's why I was thinking of keeping it more than one year, maybe for 1,5 or 2 years!

Possibly, using a cheaper oil and changing it every year makes much more sense.

First of all I would say that there is more to using synthetics then just long drains.

But to answer your question I do believe this oil could of stayed in the bike much longer the TBN was still very very high.

First of all I think you have a very valid concern. 3K miles is about normal for a motorcycle per year. Sure some guys do 20k and some only fo 500 miles. So the question really is after one year should I change it out. Intermittent use, short trips perhaps. How long do I let that stuff sit in there. Not sure what oil costs there but I feel the per month cost of oil is dirt cheap (even Amsoil or Red Line). I always dump it after one year if on a low mile bike. I don't care what the TBN is. What is the cost of an oil change divided by 12 months in a per month perspective? Nothing, nada. Do a little quality time with the machine and dump it. Send the used oil to those that that think you shouldn't so they can use it for something. Oil is cheap, engines, trannys, and clutches (shared sump right?) are not.

Thanks for your comments. This has been a bad year for me - health wise - next year I will do more miles. The reason I chose synth is better flow when cold. I do short distances, only 6km to work.
I think I should look for a 5w40, 10w30, etc, something thinner anyway, but there are not many choices.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
First of all I think you have a very valid concern. 3K miles is about normal for a motorcycle per year. Sure some guys do 20k and some only fo 500 miles. So the question really is after one year should I change it out. Intermittent use, short trips perhaps. How long do I let that stuff sit in there. Not sure what oil costs there but I feel the per month cost of oil is dirt cheap (even Amsoil or Red Line). I always dump it after one year if on a low mile bike. I don't care what the TBN is. What is the cost of an oil change divided by 12 months in a per month perspective? Nothing, nada. Do a little quality time with the machine and dump it. Send the used oil to those that that think you shouldn't so they can use it for something. Oil is cheap, engines, trannys, and clutches (shared sump right?) are not.

Very well said! I put about 2000mi a year on my 2001 HD Road King Classic and change all 3 holes every year with Amsoil products. 20W50 in crankcase/10W40 in Primary/Severe Gear 75W90 in my Tranny. Also use an Amsoil 134C EAO oil filter. I think the cost of these products, around 55-60 dollars, is cheap considering the money invested in the Bike. I do it myself obviously. I think a dealer charges around $150.00 for this service using regular HD Dino oil.

My personal belief is that in "normal" moderate climates (not Nome or Winnipeg, not Sumatra or Death Valley) Amsoil is probably going to be good for multiple years of 3K miles. Unless there is significant fuel in the oil I just don't believe that time alone will render these oils unfit for continued use.

Just my personal opinion.

I think there is an error in the paper work... it should show you
have 5,000km (3,106m) on the oil and 22,000km (13,670m) on the unit...
It may be why Blackstone sounds confused...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back