VALERO GASOLINE IS NOW TOP TIER!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know somebody drummed up an old topic in the fuel section. But let's give this one some front page attention. Poking around the Internet tonight found they added a butt load of new gas stations Over at toptiergas.com and noticed that Valero is now one of them. Huh? Got one at the end of my street guess I'm going to have to give them a try.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Timothy Ferguson
I know somebody drummed up an old topic in the fuel section. But let's give this one some front page attention. Poking around the Internet tonight found they added a butt load of new gas stations Over at toptiergas.com and noticed that Valero is now one of them. Huh? Got one at the end of my street guess I'm going to have to give them a try.

Good idea to post again!

Here in CA my local saw shop says most fuel related problems like old gas, high ethanol and water seem to be from customers who buy Valero gas. I'll steer clear out West for a bit longer. It has tested at 20% ethanol in SLO county even though it's over the legal limit.

Gasoline should be getting better. Fuel systems on new cars are getting really complicated and smog control laws are getting tougher. Gasoline is going to have to step up, too.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Still not sure about them....

How come?

Because their gas (at least around here) has been touchy to say the least. Had a local station fail some gas tests. They've always had the lowest prices (sometimes cheaper than the indies) around...had questions about that...

On the other hand, I hit a Valero in ohio while on a trip, gas turned out be good)

I might just wait a while and give one of the better stations a try... Think it helps that I am by Shell and sunocos, and a few BPs..

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Gasoline should be getting better. Fuel systems on new cars are getting really complicated and smog control laws are getting tougher. Gasoline is going to have to step up, too.

It already has.

Allowable sulfur levels were cut from 1000 ppm per batch to 30 ppm average, 80 ppm max.

Benzene, which has high octane value, has been reduced.

Sulfur levels may be again cut to 10 ppm max.

Oxygenate was required, and later ethanol was made the only acceptable oxygenate here in the USA, although ethers are still allowed in Europe.

But the real issue with emissions from gasoline PC engines now has very little to do with this because the highest emissions from a gasoline PC occur in the first 10 minutes or so after a cold start, before the catalytic converter has the opportunity to warm up. Heavier hydrocarbons (which help give you mileage) in carbureted engines would lay down in the intake manifold and subsequently vaporize as the engine warmed up are now simply rammed through the system with fuel injectors.

We're slicing the skin of this onion very, very thinly these days.

Last edited:
We've a Valero refinery just up the road a bit.

No noticeable issues with its fuel in my engines, but the stations around here are certainly second-tier in cleanliness and other amenities.

With Arco/BP joining the 'top-tier' parade of late, whose blends don't have that rating these days?!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

It already has.

Allowable sulfur levels were cut from 1000 ppm per batch to 30 ppm average, 80 ppm max.

Benzene, which has high octane value, has been reduced.

Sulfur levels may be again cut to 10 ppm max.

Oxygenate was required, and later ethanol was made the only acceptable oxygenate here in the USA, although ethers are still allowed in Europe.

But the real issue with emissions from gasoline PC engines now has very little to do with this because the highest emissions from a gasoline PC occur in the first 10 minutes or so after a cold start, before the catalytic converter has the opportunity to warm up. Heavier hydrocarbons (which help give you mileage) in carbureted engines would lay down in the intake manifold and subsequently vaporize as the engine warmed up are now simply rammed through the system with fuel injectors.

We're slicing the skin of this onion very, very thinly these days.

Great info!

If you got a Costco membership, try that Kirkland Clean Power.

It's got 5 times the Government mandated detergent level.

Costco gas is probably the best out there. And it is often the cheapest.

Just have to put up with queues sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Costco gas is probably the best out there. And it is often the cheapest.

Just have to put up with queues sometimes.

Costco fuel here is rebranded shell fuel so that's about as good as it gets.

Marathon is yet to join the parade. Let's see how long they manage to hold out. Most of the new stations either going up or taking over other brands around here is Marathon.

I noticed it first and posted in the old "Position" thread. I guess I'm happy because in my car's manual it states Top Tier gas is recommended, and I now have a second option to Mobil here in Western New York. With the exception of a very brief run of a single 76 Station that lasted about six months, Mobil has been the only Top Tier gas available here. I suspect that the widely available Sunoco and Citgo products are probably not far behind detergent-wise and they either do not want to pay for the Top Tier designation or face some other political obstacles. But it's nice to know that I have choices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back