What filter to use for Harley Road King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what guys use besides the HD filter. I would like to find a filter that is as good but for a more reasonable price.

I'm sure that there are alternate filters ..but the only thing that I can find without an OEM number to xref is an airfilter for a 3 wheel golf cart.

I guess I should have been more specific. It is a spin on oil filter for a 2003 Harley Davidson Road King. I know there is one that I see some guys on an HD forum use and it is a Mobil 1 M1-102. I wonder if it is as good as their oil motor oil?

Mobil1/K&N are great oil filters. For a little less, NapaGold and Purolator Pureone are excellent also.
I don't care for orange Fram, but their higher end Toughguard and Extendedguard are options.

Harley uses 3/4" Ford/Dodge/Toyota-like threads. There are plenty of filters to choose from.

X-reference the PH3614/PH3600/PH16/PH8a with whatever brand you choose. This will give you various sizes for fitment.
The bigger filters will add to oil capacity and cooling. Both are a good thing when air/oil cooled.

The Harley Brand Oil Filters have
10-micron media. I don't know if any of the others do.
The filter on the (TC88) engine is very important becasue of the oil jets used to cool the bottom of the pistons. You don't want something getting by the filter and plugging these jets.
(Piston Jets)
There are actually 2 orifices inside here. The round oil hole directs oil to the piston jets below each piston. They are located at the base of each cylinder in the right side crankcase. Oil is sprayed from the jets to the underside of each piston. This cooling action relieves about 50° F. from piston head temperature adding to engine longevity. A check valve in each piston cooling jet only opens to allow the oil spray when the engine is above idle RPM’s at between 12 and 15 PSI. At idle speeds of less than 12 PSI, the jets remain closed to ensure that the whole engine oiling system is being adequately serviced via lubrication.

Yes, like undummy says ...tons of filters ..as big and as long as you got room for.

Here's the WIX (NAPA) xref for the M1-102

Part Number: 51348
UPC Number: 765809513488
Principal Application: Various Chrysler/Jeep (82-06), Various GM (85-05), Lexus (90-06), Saab (67-06), Saturn (91-01), Suzuki (86-02), Toyota (88-06), Yugo (86-89), Harley-Davidson, Various Lawn&Garden, Farm Equip.
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=21/37
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226

Longer in WIX

Part Number: 51516
UPC Number: 765809515161
Principal Application: Ford/Mercury (81-06), Chrysler/Jeep (02-06), Mazda Trucks (94-05)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=14/31
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micro Rating: 20

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.734 2.430 0.226

Just knock the "5" off of the front for NAPA Gold.

If you can go bigger in diameter ..FL1A (51515 WIX) and others
dunno.gif

You also can't go wrong with the Motorcraft filters which are usually ~$4 at wallyworld.

The Micron rating is meaningless if there isn't a '%' or some other acceptable test to back up the number.

Many engines have oil jets. If you can plug the jets, you have bigger issues other than the filter.

I agree unDummy."If you can plug the jets, you have bigger issues other than the filter."
I have always said "I never learned anything from anyone that agreed with me." So I did some research and compiled this.

The fine synthetic media used in the 10 micron Twin Cam oil filter can only let so much oil through it. The 20W50 oil when warm effectively becomes 50-weight oil, which is very heavy especially when compared to 10W30 automotive oil. So, we have relatively heavy oil trying to permeate an extremely fine media filter material. When there is a backup of oil, which causes pressure, the by-pass valve will open allowing unfiltered oil unfettered access back into the engine until the pressure subsides allowing more oil to be filtered. This pressure point may be at say 12 pounds per square inch or psi. This is compounded in cold weather or when first starting your bike because the oil won’t flow as well until hot. For the thinking reader it may now become apparent that a 30 micron filter may filter more oil because its filtering material is not as fine as the 10 micron one. Theoretically, the 10-micron filter would be more efficient but only if the oil went through the media as opposed to being bypassed back into the engine unfiltered by the by-pass valve.
Getting back to the orginal question here is a list of filters.
Purolator PL10241 / PL20064
Mobil1 M1-102
Bosch 3330
AMSOil SMF 133/134/135
Baldwin B1413
Fram PH6022, PH6065A
Hastings LF576
NAPA 1348
Purolator ML16822
WIX 51348

Thank you for your post Mr.Allan.
This post has inspired me to buy some filters and check some things out. I do have to say the quality of the HD filter is very good. Just cut one open.
Why couldn't science have been this fun in school.
I can get my hands dirty and ride my bike!
If they could only come up with a something to keep the oil from staining the paper I keep notes on.

Sell Champ automotive filters. Noticed the other day that their BIG applications catalog lists chrome plated direct replacements for HD chrome filters. No idea what they sell for as my supplier doesnt list anything but regular automotive in case lots.

Bob

Well, yes, LC ..but not so fast. I think if you ran a bypass filter "stand alone" on any engine ...that the particle count would be lower then a full flow filter of common media. Now you lose the 24/7 protection of the full flow ..for the random big chunks ..but, on average, your particle count is lower.

So, the oil that you're bypassing when cold is probably cleaner then the oil being filtered by the 30um filter. Again, just to make sure that I understand your reservations, there's always the chance that some large particle can make it through during this transitional period.

At operating temps ..oil offers little resistance regardless of weight ..even in the presence of fine media.

Also keep in mind that a larger/longer filter, if indeed the media is proportionally enlarged, will reduce velocity through the media and increase its trap ratio and reduce the PSID across it.
I'd say M1 or PureOne

Well, it would be odd if one of the big boys didn't make the HD filter. Champ would probably be the most able to do that with the broad span of stuff that they crank out (everything from the Ecore to the M1).

I just happened to be in one of the local HD dealerships yesterday picking up a removable backrest ro my Electra Glide Standard. I of course was opening boxes of oil filters and inspecting them. I noticed what I believe were some Wix filters and definitely some Champ produced filters which had the familiar AA stamping on the baseplate just like the Supertech 3600 and 3614. I do not believe this was the high end filter though. I was surprised that none that I opened had a silicone ADBV. I will find out more when I start doing services on it. I am gonna have the 1000 mile sevice done at the dealer and I will start doing them afterward. I have a feeling I am going to love this bike....

Hasn't everyone figured out by now you must use genuine HD parts, and MUST ride with at least one piece of Genuine Motor Company apparel or it will self-destruct and not be covered by warrenty!!!

offtopic.gif
I use Fram MC oil filters. They're painted black with silver silkscreening. This decoys the filter nazis and the Fram usually goes undetected.
lol.gif

I run a 6017A on the old FZR. These had a nasty reputation of bursting ten years ago.

Back OT....I would choose an alternate filter by application, rather than cross reference. If you do use the cross-reference (as a last resort), compare each filter listed in the cross-reference with the product guide (usually in the back of the catalog) against the OEM filter. Just because it threads on, doesn't mean it's the same. I've been told this by more than one filter distributor.

To my rather limited HD knowledge there are design differences between the Amsoil SMF 134 & 135 (if it says "C" it means CHROMED) filters: I would certainly make sure I was getting the properly designated one...

Just IMHO!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back