Mixing more than two types of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the oils pretty much [have the same ingredients] Spend some time looking in the used or virgin oil analysis posts and see what I mean.

Originally Posted By: timeau
Originally Posted By: Zako2
For the next oil change of Ford 500, I'd like to use various leftovers I have in the garage:

Valvoline Nextgen 5W20: 4 quarts
Valvoline SynPower 0W20: 1 quart
G-Oil synthetic 5W30: 1 quart

Also, Pennzoil Ultra 0W20: half quart... perhaps for topping off. Does this sound alright, or do I need to add anything?

Try to mix beer, wine, rum and tekilla on your next party. Just because of you have them in a bar. I don't want to be in your shoes next morning...
Main question: what for?

Very poor example when compared to what the OP asked. He's not mixing different fluids together for a juicy cocktail, he's mxing the same type of fluid with different flavors. Like mxing several different beers together or several wines together.

I've also been mixing oils for many years (usually just the OP, add a half quart or so of leftover oil B to 4 quarts of oil A. Haven't had any engine failure either. Still going strong.

Why bother?

Of course there are always people who swim upstream, ride their bike on the wrong side of the road, and wear two different plaids together and white after Labor Day.

If you're one of those people that likes to fly in the face of convention, go for it.

You can chuckle at all the conformists as you drive down the road.

I always look at frankenbrews like you are diluting higher quality motor oil with lesser oil.

As long as you don't extend past the recommendations of the lesser oil, you will be okay.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Of course there are always people who swim upstream, ride their bike on the wrong side of the road, and wear two different plaids together and white after Labor Day.

Am I allowed to wear a white polo shirt after Labor Day, or will that bring down the wrath of the 'fashion police' on me??
crackmeup2.gif

I'm not a huge fan of mixing different oils, but you won't have any issues with that. You have a dominant mix of NextGen spiked with a syn made by the same company, no problem whatsoever...

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Am I allowed to wear a white polo shirt after Labor Day, or will that bring down the wrath of the 'fashion police' on me??
crackmeup2.gif

I'm not sure this applies to men.

I had to google it since my wife wasn't there to instruct me on the fashion faux pas.

Anyway I've got a mustard stain on my white shirt so I'm disqualified already.

I have never seen an Owner's Manual that required/recommended an additives pkg, only certifications and viscosity range. If you follow those recommendations, mix away. I seriously doubt a better product is the offspring, but if you want to get rid of leftovers, by all means.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: timeau
Originally Posted By: Zako2
For the next oil change of Ford 500, I'd like to use various leftovers I have in the garage:

Valvoline Nextgen 5W20: 4 quarts
Valvoline SynPower 0W20: 1 quart
G-Oil synthetic 5W30: 1 quart

Also, Pennzoil Ultra 0W20: half quart... perhaps for topping off. Does this sound alright, or do I need to add anything?

Try to mix beer, wine, rum and tekilla on your next party. Just because of you have them in a bar. I don't want to be in your shoes next morning...
Main question: what for?

wha??
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back