TGMO 0W-20, 9,950 mi on oil, 2012 Elantra GLS,127K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Mobil Super Synthetic 0w-20 is a good product.

Sure but that's not the point. It's not TGMO and therefore the dealer should not be assigning the TGMO part number.

I think that just goes to show you how much the dealers know about oil. I doubt you could convince anyone at the dealership that TGMO is any different from the Mobil 0w20

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Mobil Super Synthetic 0w-20 is a good product.

Sure but that's not the point. It's not TGMO and therefore the dealer should not be assigning the TGMO part number.

What makes you think that was the dealer assigning that part number? Why wouldn't that be toyota corporate or Mobil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think that just goes to show you how much the dealers know about oil. I doubt you could convince anyone at the dealership that TGMO is any different from the Mobil 0w20

Especially if it says TGMO in the official toyota part number. Why would they assume it is NOT TGMO?

The maintenence receipts from the dealership where I bought my Hyundai only says 'oil and filter change', with the quart amount used and oil filter part number. No mention of viscosity or brand. The one near my office is one of the official Hyundai/Quaker State partnership dealerships. They do list all the information. I would take my own oil and gain a vantage point to see it being poured in. My frustration would have very little to do with the oil used meeting spec more so it isn't what I paid for.

Last edited:
I have to agree this doesn't appear to be TGMO 0W-20.
Presumably you didn't see the drum you had your oil jug last filled from.
I'd go back to the dealer with the UOA in hand and ask to see the actual drum their 0W-20 is drawn from. It should have emblazoned on it, Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20. If they have the correct Toyota drum ask what other oils they have on tap in bulk. You could have had your jug(s) filled with that instead.

It's no biggie, but obviously you wanted TGMO 0W-20 and if you got a receipt saying you bought so many quarts of Toyota 0W-20
I'd ask for your money back.

Good luck with all of that. You don't go into dealerships with empty jugs or for free oil changes here, your asking to get hosed. Sealed bottles or don't buy it.
The OP got lucky, he got a halfway decent oil.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You don't go into dealerships with empty jugs or for free oil changes here, your asking to get hosed. Sealed bottles or don't buy it.

Same here, and I've said it more than once. Give a dealership a chance to screw you, and you're going to get screwed, at least in this neck of the woods. Sealed bottles or don't buy it.

As an update, I replaced oil with qt bottles of TGMO ($62 for case, gave my guy $70) and will do another UOA on this fill. The chain chatter I had on cold start ups hasn't been heard with this fill, even at 18°F. (Block heater had temp at 68F)

Originally Posted By: MontyD
Most Toyota dealerships around OKC use Mobil Super 0w20. This was confirmed with the oil distributer that delivers the oil. However, the part # on the invoice will still show the TGMO number.

IMO that's fraud.

Had a very similar experience while cashing in on free toyota care. Invoice was billed for TGMO part number, got bulk 0w20 valvoline. The manager assured me that the service writer who told me it was valvoline was mistaken and it was TGMO, riiiight I believe you now.... I think 901memphis nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back