Sportster 1200 Custom: Rotella 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

So I'm going to be changing the oil soon in the Sportster. I've been using Mobil 1 15W50, but I've been curious about trying the Rotella 5W40. Would there be any benefit to doing this for the colder (here in Texas, so keep in mind not cold by any means).

I figured that with the outside temperature here only as high as 80 currently, and going down...this might be the best time for me to try it out.

Do any of you see any negatives in doing so? Harley does recommend 20W50 dino.

Thanks for any responses, they are greatly appreciated,

Clint

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Harley recommends 10 w 40 wt when the temps get under 40f. And if it doesn't get that low except early in the day,I would use the 15/40 wt..,,,

Oh and once it hits 50 or so outside...she will sit in the garage most of the time. Probably started once a week, and drove long enough to get the oil hot about once a month.

And you said you would use 15W40, so I'm guessing realistically the 5W40 would be fine.

Oh and also, I drive the bike super easy. Back-and-forth to work (20 miles round trip), and usually a longer ride every other weekend. Weather permitting of course. Rarely get above 65-70 MPH.

That's not a shared sump, right? I would guess that a 5W, 10W or 15W won't make much of a difference for you. With your riding style, I can't see any reason for you to go with a 40wt though. I'd personally stick with the 15W50 you've been running.

If there is one thing an owner has control over its the viscosity of their oil...
viscosity of oil is rated in ctS which describes a fluid's resistance to flow... it ain't
a measurement of the molecular size of oil... if you think of oil as freer flowing or not
then you can judge the benefits of a 40wt over the 50wt which are:

1More HP to enjoy because there is less oil drag...
2Lower operating temps because the oil flows more...
3Less wear at start up because the oil pumps quicker...

Actual Oil Viscosity ctS numbers at start up and at operating temp to compare:

Mobil 1 15 50 at 104F 125 ctS and at 212F 17.4 ctS

Rotella 5 40 at 104F 76 ctS and at 212F 13.8 ctS

The difference at start up temps between 125 and 76 is 49 ctS which means 49 ctS freer
flowing not 49 ctS thinner or thicker...

The difference at operating temps between 17.4 and 13.6 is 3.6 ctS which means 3.6 freer
flowing not 3.6 thinner or thicker...

Being Harley doesn't recommend 5 wt oil in anything they make, I wouldn't personally use anything that light. If you do, it would be interesting to see a UOA. I used 20/50 during the winter and haven't had any issues with that wt. I've ridden in the teens,and we pray for 50 degree temps in February.,,

Being Harley doesn't recommend 5 wt oil in anything they make, I wouldn't personally use anything that light.

Technical speaking the first number (the "5" in 5w40) is only a
relative number which basically indicates how easily it will allow an
engine to "turn over" at low temperatures. It is NOT a viscosity
reference. In other words, a 5w40 is NOT a 5 weight oil in cold
temperatures and a 40 weight oil in warm temperatures... rather a 5W40
Rotella actual viscosity is 76 cTs at 104F (40C) and 13.8 cTs at 212F
(100C) that means the oil was heated to 100 degrees C and it flowed
within a certain kinematic viscosity which is then classified with in
a certain SAE grade like the "40" in 5w40).

Should be good. I had a 1992 Sportster I bought new and it wouldn't start in cold weather. I just left it parked until it got up to at least 45-50 degrees.

If you want a cheap HDEO to run in your harley. Mystik has it in 10w40, 15w40, and even 15w50. You can buy it in two gallon jugs around here dirt cheap. It is also semi synthetic.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Being Harley doesn't recommend 5 wt oil in anything they make, I wouldn't personally use anything that light.

Technical speaking the first number (the "5" in 5w40) is only a
relative number which basically indicates how easily it will allow an
engine to "turn over" at low temperatures. It is NOT a viscosity
reference. In other words, a 5w40 is NOT a 5 weight oil in cold
temperatures and a 40 weight oil in warm temperatures... rather a 5W40
Rotella actual viscosity is 76 cTs at 104F (40C) and 13.8 cTs at 212F
(100C) that means the oil was heated to 100 degrees C and it flowed
within a certain kinematic viscosity which is then classified with in
a certain SAE grade like the "40" in 5w40).

Busy Shop- I just had an awful argument over at KLR650.NET about that very topic. You did a really good job of explaining it here and I wish I could have been that articulate. A Few of the guys over at KLR650.NET really believed that 5w-40 meant that the 5 was the weight of the oil all the time and special additives made the 5 weight oil act or perform like a 40 weight oil. I even had one guy arguing with me that the W meant weight and I was an idiot for saying the W meant winter..... Arguing with idiots is futile. lol

Anyways, for the O.P.'s original question; 5w-40, 10w-40 and 15w-40 are all 40 weight oil once your engine gets warm. I would say use the rotella 5w-40. The first number only really comes into play when it is very cold and will give better protection if you ride in cold weather much. You will still have all the protection you need even if you ride hard in the heat. There is also a slight added value of rotella 5w-40 being a synthetic base oil.

FWIW, My KLR calls for 10w-40 minimum and goes all the way up to 20w-50 for hot weather riding. I use 5w-40 synthetic in mine and I have no problems. In fact, the engine sounds much better when I start her in the cold mornings compared to when I ran 15w-40 rotella before. The reason for this is the fact the 5W oil flows better when cold but still gives the full protection of a solid 40 weight oil at operating temp.

I say go for it.

I'm about 70 miles north of you at Ft Hood and run 20w-50 year round in the bike. I've ridden to work in 19 degree temps with no issues other than cold hands..

I'm not at all sure a 5W dino oil is the right choice for an air cooled Harley engine. It really was not designed for a thin oil. The M1 15W-50 is a far better choice. AND, the M1 is considerably thinner during cold starts (around freezing) than a dino 20W-50. Something you just cant tell from the specs.

I used M1 15W-50 in CT winters for many years in my air cooled Porsche. It produced oil pressure rapidly/instantly on cold starts.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
That's not a shared sump, right? ...

Correct. It is a dry sump engine with a separate primary/transmission.

Mine has T6 5/40 in it presently, I won't be using it again as it didn't make any appreciable difference in starting and the oil tank seems hotter after a long ride. (very unscientific I know)

IMO - Stick with the M1

I'll dogpile on this one, too. I use any of the oil type and grades recommended in the owners manual. One of my bikes has a laundry list of permissible grades, another has only two permissible grades.
Surely Your H-D manual has some recommended oil grades for given ambient temperatures. Start there and then find the brand with the most appealing price/bottle/marketing/specs/color or whatever and use that.

Thanks for all of the responses! Again, they are greatly appreciated.

So from what you guys were saying and what I was kind of thinking anyways...I'll be sticking with the Mobil 1 15W50. Sounds like there would be no benefits other than succumbing to my curiosity on this matter.

I've had great experiences with the Mobil 1, so I have no problem in sticking with that regimen. I plan on running it 5,000 miles...how do you guys think the oil will hold up? I will (possibly) send off for testing.

Good Morning:

I have done the exact thing you are proposing. I've run the 15w-40 Rotella followed by a change to the T6 5w-40 Rotella. I have UOA reports for both runs. The iron numbers dropped significantly after changing to the T6, 5w-40. The "5" part of the oil does not cause any concern in the HD motor. I've also run the Amsoil MCT 10w-30 in my Sportster. There was a small drop in wear metals when compared to the T6. However, we all know that using a 10w-30 oil in a Harley will cause instant destruction, void the warranty of everything you own. The masses expect you to be saddled with an obligatory duty to use oil that is better defined as light-weight grease in your Harley. Ha

Dave

Originally Posted By: clintonhutson
Thanks for all of the responses! Again, they are greatly appreciated.

So from what you guys were saying and what I was kind of thinking anyways...I'll be sticking with the Mobil 1 15W50. Sounds like there would be no benefits other than succumbing to my curiosity on this matter.

I've had great experiences with the Mobil 1, so I have no problem in sticking with that regimen. I plan on running it 5,000 miles...how do you guys think the oil will hold up? I will (possibly) send off for testing.

Are you using the v twin Mobil . I have put about 130000 on big twins using it . There is no reason it won't work just fine. What filter do you like ? I use the old Dyna 63813-90 on the sportys
Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back