my neighbor got hurt real bad today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the arm end up in the well? I'd never drink water from that well again if the arm and fingers went down there.

This went from a $3500 job to a $350,000 job. Sucks for the old guy.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
There's a thin line between "can do" and "foolish to do" sometimes.

It reminds me of a saying: "When you think you can make up for a lack of expertise and skill with enthusiasm and gumption, there's no end to what you can't do."

I hope he recovers as well as is possible at this point.

Chris,
I am sorry to hear about your neighbor, after reading your original post I hoped your neighbor would not attempt it.
Prayers for your neighbor.

I hope he is able to recover as best as possible.

As harsh as it may sound, let us learn from this mistake and stay safe, use the proper equipment and expertise for the job. It's not worth your life or quality of life to save a few bucks.

he had one surgery already. i guess his arm did not go down the hole. im hearing different stories but i believe the arm did not come all the way off and they reattached it.but until everybody in the family calms down i would not put faith in what im told.

What a shame. I would bet that a lot of us here have done foolish things and gotten away with it. I know I sure have. Maybe not to the extreme as this but bad ideas that could certainly hurt. I wish him the best in recovering.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

As harsh as it may sound, let us learn from this mistake and stay safe, use the proper equipment and expertise for the job. It's not worth your life or quality of life to save a few bucks.

It is not harsh, it is life. We are surrounded by lessons learned that were paid for by others, sometime paid dearly.

The other reminder from this episode is not to perform risky tasks, even such as cleaning rain gutters, when no one else is home.

I wish the man a speedy recovery.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen

It is not harsh, it is life. We are surrounded by lessons learned that were paid for by others, sometime paid dearly.

The other reminder from this episode is not to perform risky tasks, even such as cleaning rain gutters, when no one else is home.

I wish the man a speedy recovery.
amen for the speedy recovery---those male egos will get us in trouble everytime..

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I would bet that a lot of us here have done foolish things and gotten away with it. I know I sure have. Maybe not to the extreme as this but bad ideas that could certainly hurt.

Yup.

Thinking of one thing in particular. Things could have ended VERY badly, not just for me, but for four of my friends who were with me. Everyone was fine, but I still think of it as the stupidest single thing I've ever done.

I understand his motivation.
I can easily part with 3.5K, but would be hesitant to do so if I thought I could rig a DIY solution.
Maybe he didn't account adequately for the weight involved?
We've all done some risky DIY stuff and come out fine, so I can't condemn his decision to try to do the job.
Very sad that it worked out as it did.
I wish him the best and hope that he recovers fully, minus only a couple of fingers.
Every longtime farmer is missing a couple of digits.
It's good that you weren't involved, since you could now be in the same state as your neighbor, or worse.

He is lucky he is OK, highly loaded cables and lines when they fail can cut you in half or lob your head off.

Last edited:
As well as not taking on something bigger than you should, and doing so alone, I think there is another lesson here.

And that is to not react emotionally to other people's opinions.

Both Chris142 and the man's own son advised him against this. I'm sure that advice was delivered in a considerate way, but it was dismissed out of hand and I would imagine there must be an emotional rather than rational reason for that.

$3500 was too much? His medical bills will be over $500k

Nevermind, he probably doesn't have health insurance. Health insurance is probably too expensive

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back