Toyo Extensa HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have much experience with these? My Miata came with a set with about 80-90% tread life left. They are touted as a "performance" all-season tire, but this car will never see a lick of snow or ice. From what I've gathered so far, they handle well, are quiet enough, and have a nice tread pattern and sidewall (no bearing on performance, but they look nice). I'll probably be tracking the car next year, and I'm curious how well these will hold up. I can still get the car a little sideways without too much effort, so maybe these tires fit the bill!

good for DD tires,
toyo's marketing is "high performance, long treadlife"
I would expect them to be fine for on road.

get a separate set of max performance summers or track tires for the track.. preferably on lightweight wheels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
good for DD tires,

get a separate set of max performance summers or track tires for the track.. preferably on lightweight wheels.

FWIW, the stock 15" aluminum rims are already scary light.

I researched these a little, as they come in my size, and are reasonable. I often read of poor wet traction (which is what I already have).

Originally Posted By: Rand
good for DD tires,

^^^THIS!

Plus, IF this Mazda will also never see any cold/dry winter temps/use, I would go for a much higher performance all season tire, or even a UHP pure summer tire which is good in the wet.
wink.gif

you really want smallish light wheels with the best performance tires you can get in that size..

Which will rule out PSS, and some other highly recommended tires.

if you step up in wheel size you will give away alot of performance with the heavier unsprung weight.

These also came on my G35x and appeared to be nearly new. They seem to grip decent for an all season on dry pavement but haven't been very good in the wet. I haven't noticed hydroplaning but they seem to slip easily turning/accelerating. I'm coming from the PSS on my e36 so the bar is set a little high.

Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager
These also came on my G35x and appeared to be nearly new. They seem to grip decent for an all season on dry pavement but haven't been very good in the wet. I haven't noticed hydroplaning but they seem to slip easily turning/accelerating. I'm coming from the PSS on my e36 so the bar is set a little high.

What tire is the PSS that you referred to? Pilot Super Sports? And yes, these Toyos don't grip the best on wet roads, as I discovered after fishtailing on some curvy roads recently
blush.gif
Hydroplaning resistance has been fine, however.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager

What tire is the PSS that you referred to? Pilot Super Sports? And yes, these Toyos don't grip the best on wet roads, as I discovered after fishtailing on some curvy roads recently
blush.gif
Hydroplaning resistance has been fine, however.

Sorry, yes, Pilot Super Sports. It was raining the day I picked up the car and I also had the rear end kick out on an on ramp during the drive home! I'll be installing snows so I plan to just be careful in the rain and run these down. I do also like the tread design. I was surprised it has a treadwear rating of 360 - seems low for an all season. It'll be interesting to see how they wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back