Why Don't people enjoy driving a manual trans??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
Why did you have a tree in either of those vehicles? Was it impractical/unaffordable to rent a truck or large trailer for the day?

Manual shift on the steering column was always known as 3-on-the-tree around here.
33.gif

The steering column is like a tree with branches (control stalks).

One of those stalks is the shifter.

Hence, 3[speeds]-on-the-tree[steering column].

I think there were extremely few "four on a tree"; and "three" ryhmes nicely with tree. Now, "four on the floor" sounds good--and that term was pretty popular too.

We're any cars available with three gears and a floor mounted gear stick? Any four speed cars with the gear stick on the steering column?
What about more modern vehicles?
D you have five in the hive? Or six on the bricks? Are newer automatics seven in heaven?

It strikes me as a gimmicky salesmans way of making something sound better than it is..

Yes, three on the floor was pretty common too. Pretty base model though; I think three on the column was viewed as a step up. If not in reliability (they liked to bind up as they aged, in particular due to worn engine mounts) then at least in perception.

I don't think 5spds ever got a fancy name. Only thing that sorta did it was 4+1 perhaps, or just "5 speed with overdrive!" (although there were four speed manual transmissions with overdrive, along with the very common 4spd auto's with OD).

I suspect three on the tree and four on the floor really only came about in the 50's and 60's during our auto heyday. Once the 70's hit then it got expensive to drive, the cars got dull and boring, and no one cared anymore. The 80's rolled around and the cars were smaller and still boring, and everyone hated the new areo look. The 90's brought reliability but people didn't get excited like about the muscle cars. Hence, as 5spds became the norm--no one cared, it was just a car.

Anything and everything sold, but in particular automobiles, have always had gimmicky sales tactics. Nothing new there.

I had three on the tree too. 1974 Chevy C-10 with power brakes, manual steering, no A/C and a big ol gas guzzlin' 350 that would burn rubber until I let off it. Love those bias ply tires.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
My last 3 on the tree was a 1939 Buick Special, 248 Straight 8. First Gear was not synchronized, Not a big deal with a inline 8 though.
No fooling, I didn't know there were any pre-war column shifters. Late '30s Buicks are one of my favorite cars.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
My last 3 on the tree was a 1939 Buick Special, 248 Straight 8. First Gear was not synchronized, Not a big deal with a inline 8 though.
No fooling, I didn't know there were any pre-war column shifters. Late '30s Buicks are one of my favorite cars.

No fooling, If I remember correctly '39 Buicks were the first to have 3ott.

Here's some pics of it, In a Thread on another site 39 Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back