Engine failure on wife's car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if he did run synthetic oil since the beginning, it wouldn't have saved his engine if the engine had a design flaw, or if during the production run, there was a bad batch of engines or parts.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Mobil dino is cheap oil, no?

Mobil Super 3000x1 is Group III synthetic oil, and AFAIK it's not related with US Super 3000 or 5000 mineral oils. Not that it really matters, problem I have is not oil related, it happen due to detonation or/and lean mixture on that cylinder. It rarely happens on atmospheric engines, but it does.

Husband takes wife's car, drives it spiritedly, it blows up and the title of the topic is "Engine failure on wife's car" as if it was wife's fault :) Get ready to sleep on the couch!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You could have used synthetic instead of cheap oil...

Shell/Pennzoil Ultra is cheap oil? How so?

What would you suggest he run in his econobox instead? Redline?

Non-spirited puddling around the suburbs? Shell Helix Ultra AS 0W-30 (or the newer "Helix Ultra A5/B5" 0W-30 with PurePlus) resp. any other Fiat 9.55535-G1 fuel economy oil.

Last edited:
OK, update on this; I removed head to found cracked piston ring on second cylinder, and lots of marks on that cylinder. Others looked great and had good compression. (did dry and wet test). So I bought 1.4 Stilo bottom end and going to put head and all ancillaries from old engine. There are some issues (need remap and crank sensor bracket needs to be modified), but overall I think this will work. Standard Stilo have 95 hp, but with my better camshafts and manifolds I'm thinking 100 hp is possible. Car weight 930 kg so it will be fun and economy would also be decent.

You could have used synthetic instead of cheap oil...

He was using fully synthetic Shell Ultra 5w-40...

I think Fiat are quite keen to use 10w-40 semi synthetic oils only in these engines so they certainly have no problems with cheaper semi synthetic oils

Fiat know a thing or two about oils as well, they had their own oil company for a long time - Fiat Lubrificante.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back