1988 CIVIC - DEXRON II ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robb.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
What do you think is in the Dexron II that is not in the currently offered Dex/merc or DexronVI offerings?

DW-1, Maxlife, Dex 6, Dex/Merc, are all superior to old school Mineral Dexron 2 that would shear down to a 4 cSt in no time quick.

Superior in what sense ? They are made for newer cars with tighter tolerances I assume !
The older Honda auto trannies are very sensitive like I said !

More sensitive in what sense?

Like these guys told you, the newer Dexrons such as DexronVI and Maxlife are far superior to the old DexronII formulations.

As Memphis has stated, the DexronVI is back speced to cover all previous DexronXX fluids.

We don't have to own one to know what fluids are better.

Are going to listen to us or just argue?

If the fluid hasn't been changed in the last 30k miles, then yes change fluid ASAP.

Last edited:
I would ask the mechanic who originally replaced the tranny fluid how he did it. Honda specifies a 3 or 4 part drain and fill procedure as draining the tranny only removes about 50% of the fluid. So you would drain, re-fill, shift the tranny throughout the gears, go for a drive. Repeat, until most of the oil is replaced. Seems wasteful, but that is the procedure. Honda does not believe in those tranny "vacuums" that suck the oil from the tranny.

Do you guys have older Honda's pre 1998 ?
If not then you wont know how well or bad the non dexron II fluid works !

My 1992 Accord calls for Dexron II. I've been using Maxlife in it for over 30k miles. It works great.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Do you guys have older Honda's pre 1998 ?
If not then you wont know how well or bad the non dexron II fluid works !

My 1992 Accord calls for Dexron II. I've been using Maxlife in it for over 30k miles. It works great.

I use maxlife myself too in a DexronIII application, it's an incredible value advanced synthetic dex/merc that works great.

The one thing folks are forgetting here is that while the mechanical design of the units are similar, the newer models since about 1994 use more computer control and the older units were only mechanically controlled. This changed the requirements for the fluid used.

Models made before 1994 will be better suited to a
DEX III clone, like others mentioned any decent brand of
DEX/MERC will likely perform better because that is what the original engineers used in that unit, while later cars 1994+ use a fluid with more friction modifiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back