Oil Filter Inflow Holes => Flow Rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys and Gals, I was there at Walmart trying to decide on a better filter for my V6 Nissan engine. Would the Fram TG6607 (top pic) give me a better flow than Bosch 3300 (bottom pic) because Fram has more inflow holes and each is larger?

This filter is specified for some motorcycles and 4-cyl engines. But I have a V6, hence more ponies to oil, if you know what I mean. I figure flow rate is the name of the game for me. What do you think?

Fram TG6607
7AVZQpq.jpg

Bosch 3300
GbhHJoh.jpg

I do not believe that the inlet holes will make any difference if the filter is engineered correctly. Your don't need much flow through the inlet holes to keep up with the media flow.

A properly engineered filer should be tested for flow rate of its intended application, including what the media can handle as well as the differential pressure.

I am partial to the Tough Guard and if Fram put lots of extra inlet holes on the filter, maybe there is a good reason?

Try to find a motor taken apart and look at the size of the oil passages.

I personal prefer the tram Ultima myself. Seems to have good flow and iv yet to notice any fluctuation in oil pressure.

I know some people like to run the bigger cans but I choose the size they assign.

Not a scientist or even engineer but I would imagine running a smaller/larger can would effect flow rate and possibly raise oil pressure going to the can and lower pressure coming for the can. But that's just from thought to evidice (of my own).

Personally tho just use which ever you like. It doesn't matter if it considered the best oil filter on the market if you don't trust it you don't trust it.

On a side note the wife's 06 Taurus oil filter comes within about a inch of the exhaust manifold. I personally don't find that safe and feel it might compromise the oil filter (possible gasket) and potentially damage the median.

Anyways back to point I use a smaller filter for that car.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Try to find a motor taken apart and look at the size of the oil passages.

Are you saying because kitchen faucets are narrow pipes whole township can be supplied with water through a single pipe as narrow?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
the size of the center hole is the restriction,not the holes in the filter.

Interesting point, and I was curious to confirm. I have a used Purolator PureOne taken off my vehicle and taken apart. I cleaned inlet/outlet plate and took it with me to the store. Placed it over Bosch and they are identical.

Here is the interesting part. You are correct about Fram 6607, but both Purolator and Bosch restrictive on the inflow providing only half the area compared to outflow.

jlGCwnQ.jpg

You're doing your calculations wrong. The outflow diameter is the diameter of the passage in the mounting stud.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
You're doing your calculations wrong. The outflow diameter is the diameter of the passage in the mounting stud.

Ed

You are the man! I completely overlooked that. Thank you for pointing this out. Here are the updated numbers. It looks much better, but still both Purolator and Bosch are restrictive on the inflow.

lOwvlZE.jpg

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
stay away from the bosch until they fix the tear and quality issues... they are made by purolater

Don't get me started on this. The reason I started looking for a brand outside of Purolator was because of informative dispute over an o-ring for a cartridge filter on my other vehicle. O-ring coating separated requiring cleaning of the area. Not a big deal, so I sent them an fyi e-mail with pictures.

They sent me a recovery kit, I sent them the used oil filter with the questionable o-ring. They said they are going to have their supplier investigate. Conflict of interest first of all. Why would supplier admit any wrongdoing. After their supplier investigated they sent me a letter basically saying supplier determined that customer is an idiot and stretched o-ring. Then they had an audacity to send me back the used filter I sent them.

My theory they use nitrile rubber to make o-rings to save cost, but to make it look like a premium o-ring that goes with a premium filter they coat the o-ring with silicone rubber. Because two materials respond differently to heat cycles, i.e. nitrile rubber hardens, the silicone rubber coating separates. Sorry for the run on.

stay away from the bosch until they fix the tear and quality issues... they are made by purolater

The Bosch OP uploaded is a Distance Plus. No known issues as of yet.

By the way, you can use a 7317 if you want on that motor for extra capacity.

I measured my new denso filters which have 8 holes but 5mm diameter, which makes them close to the center hole in flow. But then what about the oil passages after the center oil tube in the engine? It may get smaller down the line, pretty sure the companies know what they are doing after all these decades making holes in baseplates. But then why does the other one have such large holes if not needed? Maybe they recycle the steel plugs stamped out into new baseplates, cost saving?

How do you know that Purolator is still having problems?

Purolator's response was use recent production.

Have you seen any 2014 Purolators with tears?

Originally Posted By: Nayov
By the way, you can use a 7317 if you want on that motor for extra capacity.

Thank you for pointing this out. I made a note in my maintenance log file to consider Fram 7317 series filter if higher capacity is desired.

Meanwhile, I want to thank everyone for their input and let you know that I went with Fram TG6607 for this OCI, along with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 oil.

After looking at some of the research and comparison other people had done I observed that racing type oil filters have relatively large inflow area compared to other oil filters. Fram 6607 series also has large inflow area. Therefore, selecting Fram 6607 for a Nissan V6 3.7L engine is a no-brainer for me, vs Purolator/Bosch in this case.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series

Not a scientist or even engineer but I would imagine running a smaller/larger can would effect flow rate and possibly raise oil pressure going to the can and lower pressure coming for the can. But that's just from thought to evidice (of my own).

Only if the positive displacement oil pump is in pressure relief mode.

As others have said, the oil inlet holes in the base, and also the holes in the center tube don't add much delta-p. The media is what causes the most pressure drop across an oil filter.

Here's the flow vs delta-p curve for a medium sized PureOne. The delta-p in this curve is across the whole oil filter, which includes the inlet holes in the base and the holes in the center tube.

PureOne Flow vs Delta-P

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Purolator's response was use recent production.

How 'recent' is recent enough?

It would be great if we could obtain a clear-cut date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back