1988 civic replacement filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a Viper 6333 brand filter I bought today for the 88 civic.
My old one was nasty !

OLD
photo.jpg

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

What type of media is that? I hope it's not a re-usable oil cotton gauze type. I looked at their website and can't figure it out. If it's similar to the Fram Tough Guard and PureOne with high efficiency oil wetted media then thats a steal.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
What type of media is that? I hope it's not a re-usable oil cotton gauze type. I looked at their website and can't figure it out. If it's similar to the Fram Tough Guard and PureOne with high efficiency oil wetted media then thats a steal.

No it's just regular paper isn't it? The bag makes it look oiled maybe.. It is a "value line" product. An OEM one could be had for $18, I think I would prefer OEM over Viper. How's the quality Robb?

Last edited:
Yep paper filter.
Im not complaining. The price was dirt cheap and is made in korea.

Honda OEM is $18.66 + tax !

If the seal on the old filter is good that filter looks like it could go for a lot longer time and miles. But the only way to know for sure is with one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Wix-24801-Air-Filter-Monitor/dp/B0014BI1KA

I have 85k miles on my S2000 air filter and I'm going to have to change it this Spring because of age, not restriction. The more the filter loads up the better it filters up to the point of causing a restriction @ WOT

My Son has a '09 Civic and I think he's up to 60k miles on his air filter and it just started to show a little restriction(8" of H2o) he'll change it out when it gets to 15" of restriction @ WOT.

ROD

Originally Posted By: rrounds
If the seal on the old filter is good that filter looks like it could go for a lot longer time and miles. But the only way to know for sure is with one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Wix-24801-Air-Filter-Monitor/dp/B0014BI1KA

I have 85k miles on my S2000 air filter and I'm going to have to change it this Spring because of age, not restriction. The more the filter loads up the better it filters up to the point of causing a restriction @ WOT

My Son has a '09 Civic and I think he's up to 60k miles on his air filter and it just started to show a little restriction(8" of H2o) he'll change it out when it gets to 15" of restriction @ WOT.

ROD

The Wix isn't sensitive enough for gas engines from what i gather. It's range goes up to 25 inch of H20. The K&N Filter minder only goes up to 15 inches so it's more suited for small gas engines.

It works just fine on a gas engine. On my S the filter will get changed do to time, but the smaller filter on my Sons Civic will get changed when the Wix restriction gauge gets to 15".

Nobody sad to take it(gas engine) to 25" of restriction. I know some who change the air filter at 11", with the Wix you have a choice on when to change the air filter out.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back