Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Why are you so quick to think there aren't any problems? These vehicles are not foolproof.

Exactly. No one has a sure fire fix, if they did there wouldn't be continuing problems.
I wouldn't want one at this point. We are certainly not missing out on anything by avoiding it.

It could be said that ya'll are making a mole hill out of a mountain.

Are we seeing reports of DI engines failing left and right? No? I thought so. You seem to have a thing for blowing little things way out of proportion ("the transmission might not be correctly aligned because it's not been used in this application before" sound familiar?)

If we were seeing en masse failure and self destruction of DI engines (and keep in mind, DI engines have been out for a few years, and there are more than a few high mileage examples) then that would be one thing. But we aren't. In fact, I don't know/haven't heard of a single REAL issue caused by DI on modern DI engines (namely, Ford, GM, and Hyundai/Kia).

If you have some examples of known failures, please link them, I'd be interested to see them.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Why are you so quick to think there aren't any problems? These vehicles are not foolproof.

Exactly. No one has a sure fire fix, if they did there wouldn't be continuing problems.
I wouldn't want one at this point. We are certainly not missing out on anything by avoiding it.

Except better fuel economy, and the ability to run higher compression on lower octane fuel, hence achieve higher power density at a lower operating cost.

One major repair can ruin your lower operating cost and I don't see a big gain in MPG's.

You certainty seem to have a problem with anyone criticizing car manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: Ed_T

Come on. They're not selling tailpipe toilet paper. These products are directed to specific real world problems.

If you choose to deny the existence of them, so be it. But the evidence is extant should you choose to consider it.

Really? BG Sells products to shops based on the FUD principle. Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. Their stuff may work, it may not.

I do know that they have a site that ddresses this. Of course they "test" it, and their products "magically make things better". What they don't tell you is that they use a car with a known issue that affects power (early build 2010 SHO with probably the bum knock sensow), and then dyno said AWD car on a 2WD dyno with the traction control screaming. They call that a "test"? Really? That's a bum test in my book.

Thanks for the explanation. So if you don't know NOT to use cheap gas that could lead to problems.

Naah - I use the cheapest I can find in mine - mostly "off brand" and no issues here at all. I've heard GDI injectors are hard to foul due to the cleaning nature of gasoline and the high pressues involved.

One major repair can ruin your lower operating cost and I don't see a big gain in MPG's.

You certainty seem to have a problem with anyone criticizing car manufacturers.

I have no problem when people criticize real problems. You are saying time and again "there are known problems and examples of this" but when I ask you to provide them, you instead divert around the question or (in this case) try to turn it back around on me. Why don't instead of trying to shrug it off, you provide a reasonable argument and trhe examples you claim to have.

I have given many examples. Go back and look at my thread on my Chevy HHR VVT problem or my Honda crv problem. Why do you have a fixation on tearing down my every post??

Major repairs on my MS3: 0

Yes, 26-28 mpg from a car that runs 0-100 in under 13 seconds is pretty pathetic...

I have given many examples. Go back and look at my thread on my Chevy HHR VVT problem or my Honda crv problem. Why do you have a fixation on tearing down my every post??

............ We aren't talking about the HHR VVT problem, or your Honda CRV problem. We are talking about DIRECT INJECTION RELATED FAILURES.
Number of examples you've provided on that: ZERO

Last edited:

When I drive my direct injected car home from work today I'll make sure to remind it that it's supposed to start giving me problems.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

When I drive my direct injected car home from work today I'll make sure to remind it that it's supposed to start giving me problems.

I know, right? I commute 70 miles per day currently, and I guess it's only a matter of time before my engine asplodes due to direct injection.

There you go again.. keep going..

Keep going? Going where?

Home from work? Reliably? As has happened over the past five years and 85,XXX miles of direct injected engine equipped vehicle ownership?

I think I will, it's almost the end of the day.

Quote:
When the injectors foul, it tends to create a rich condition in the combustion chamber with incomplete combustion.
I stopped reading after that!

Originally Posted By: Mykl

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I almost bought in to the previous DI internet hysteria: "DI motors have HUGE problems with fuel washing down the cylinder walls and diluting the oil- if you don't change the oil every 2,000 miles YOUR MOTOR WILL EXPLODE!!! IT SAYS SO ON THE INTERNET!!!"

I decided to live dangerously and run my brand new MS3 out to 5,000 miles before the initial oil change, and guess what? No oil dilution issues according to Blackstone. And the same has been true of the 20 subsequent UOAs- even after I switched to a 7,500 mile OCI at 77,000 miles.

Like you, I guess I'm really driving a ticking time bomb...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I almost bought in to the previous DI internet hysteria: "DI motors have HUGE problems with fuel washing down the cylinder walls and diluting the oil- if you don't change the oil every 2,000 miles YOUR MOTOR WILL EXPLODE!!! IT SAYS SO ON THE INTERNET!!!"

I decided to live dangerously and run my brand new MS3 out to 5,000 miles before the initial oil change, and guess what? No oil dilution issues according to Blackstone. And the same has been true of the 20 subsequent UOAs- even after I switched to a 7,500 mile OCI at 77,000 miles.

Like you, I guess I'm really driving a ticking time bomb...

I'm even more careless, I go for the entire VW recommended 10,000 miles. I guess I should start an "engine replacement fund" as it should go any day now.

For all the issues the engine in my car is reported to have, catastrophic failure is beyond rare. Even the upgrade and tuning path is so well defined and tested that modified engines typically don't even fail that frequently.

My car is maintained per manufacturer spec, no more or less, although I will be changing the cooling and gearbox fluids in the near future ("lifetime").

Me too, I'm going anywhere from 7500-10k miles (10k is the ford recommended OCI) And on that newfangled watery 0W-20 at that! God I must be out of my mind.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Me too, I'm going anywhere from 7500-10k miles (10k is the ford recommended OCI) And on that newfangled watery 0W-20 at that! God I must be out of my mind.

PSST: I'm going 7,500 miles per OCI with that 5w20 in a twin durbo direct injected car. Call the guys in white coats!

Last edited:
I certainly believe that seafoam into a vacuum line will fry the turbo. I've seen raw seafoam/mmo pour out my tailpipe if I pour it in too fast. I've never hydro locked an engine though even when pouring it in too fast.

This guy must know that his videos will be seen by ford. Is he not concerned about his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back