Oil and Filter Recommendations for 2009 GMC Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for some recommendations on what type of oil and oil filter would be best for my situation. I have only recently started changing my own oil, and my knowledge is limited but I am hoping to learn more. Here is what we are looking at:

-2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE - 4.8L V8 - 83,000 miles

-Manual says to use SAE 5W-30

-Vehicle is driven on a daily basis, stop and go driving, usually around 50 miles per day. It is driven a little bit harder than average, but nothing significant. It is also driven in very dusty conditions.

The vehicle has no issues and I have always changed the oil at very reasonable increments. I do generally utilize my OLM while also monitoring how many miles since the last change. I could also use some advice regarding the OLM - If I am relying on that should I really wait until I get the "change oil soon" warning, or start thinking about changing the oil around the 30% mark? Right now I am using Mobile 1 oil with Fram Oil filters. Any suggestions?

Thanks much.

I'd stick with Mobil 1 5w30 because it's a great oil AND it's dexos1 certified.

However, I'd change oil filters to Wix or Purolator.
Sorry, I"m not into fram at all, not even their premium filter.
No reason to spend more money for a filter when Wix and Purolator already are at or above that level for $3 less.

But you're doing good from what I read.
the Mobil 1 can do 12,000 miles easily.

Since you're in AZ, definetely a synthetic would be a benefit.
I would do 10k OCI's and not look back.

Awesome, thank you. Question about the Fram filter that I have on there now - it says on the box that it is only good for 5k miles. Do they all say this or do I really need to change my filter that soon? (until next time when I can go to a better filter like what you recommended)

Mobil 1 5W30 and Fram Ultra oil filter (Ultra filter can go 15K miles and is cheap at Walmart) and change the oil according to the GM oil life monitor. Make sure to buy a Fram Ultra oil filter and not the standard Fram oil filter and you can go up to 15K miles in conjunction with a synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1. I would change the oil when the oil life monitor tells you to change it.

Your engine will be MORE than ok.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Mobil 1 5W30 and Fram Ultra oil filter (Ultra filter can go 15K miles and is cheap at Walmart) and change the oil according to the GM oil life monitor. Make sure to buy a Fram Ultra oil filter and not the standard Fram oil filter and you can go up to 15K miles in conjunction with a synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1. I would change the oil when the oil life monitor tells you to change it.

+1 This

Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE

+1 This

+2. I like all the cut open Fram Ultras as of late. I will cut mine open too.

Will do, thanks. I changed it out recently with a Wix but down the road I am thinking about getting a K&N filter next time it needs replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back