Best low cost air compressor for home use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav

The Makita will run the impact okay for this type of use, it had good recovery time for what it is. A pancake might not make it.
Whatever you buy stay clear of oil less, they have the durability of a wet noodle.

I have a Mac700 and I love it--but I have a 20 year old one of these with several hundred hours on it, and it still works. It's even louder now than when it was new (if that's possible), but it's half the weight of the Makita and sometimes I'm lazy.

I have a big shop compressor, the Mac700 for "portable" stuff and this, which I bought 20 years ago. Parts are still available (though I've never had to replace anything on it). Almost every contractor I know has one of these in addition to a "real" compressor, mainly due to the light weight and the lack of sharp edges (makes it easy when you're dragging it around inside a house--less likely to put a hole in a wall or something). As I type this, 2 doors down a guy is running a roofing nailer on one... I think guys like them because they're really light and if it gets stolen it's not the end of the world...

I've done countless inappropriate tasks with mine (spray-on texture a 1,400 sq ft space being the worst--how it didn't catch fire I'll never know!). For occasional use with an impact and blowing up tires it should last a lifetime.

Yes, the Makita is nicer--far quieter and very well-built, but the PC pancake compressor is plenty durable.

Originally Posted By: zppeterson
If it's not needed immediately, keep an eye on craigslist in your area as well. I recently was able to pick up a used Husky Pro 26 gallon oil lubricated compressor for $100 which I thought was a steal compared to the cost of new

+1

I picked up this one a couple of years ago for $60 and it's great.
SAM_0003-XL.jpg

Actually, this thread has prompted me to make a call on this 1953 Devilbiss compressor that I have been eyeing on CL for several weeks.

Asking price? $200.
01515_2PllOUA9fW2_600x450-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Harbor Freights latest coupon insert has their 2.5 hp , 21 gallon compressor for 149.99.

As far as people mentioning their 20% off coupons...I haven't seen 1 that said it did not exclude compressors.

Originally Posted By: Scott_mi
Harbor Freights latest coupon insert has their 2.5 hp , 21 gallon compressor for 149.99.

As far as people mentioning their 20% off coupons...I haven't seen 1 that said it did not exclude compressors.

You really can't beat that HFT unit for $150.

In regards to the coupons, I've never seen one that included compressors or generators.

I have this 2hp 8 gallon compressor from Harbor Freight. I got it on sale for I think $105.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-gal-2-hp-125-psi-oil-lube-air-compressor-69667.html

My main concerns were getting something that's portable, oil-lubricated, and runs on 110 volts.

I primarily use it to run my nail gun, since to blow up tires, I still find one of these to be quicker and more convenient:

black-decker-air-station-americanlisted_29980727.jpg

No idea how well the compressor would run an impact wrench, since I had an electric one well before I bought it and that has removed any nut or bolt I've thrown at it.

If all you're going to use the compressor for is airing up tires, I might even recommend a cheap inflator like the one pictured above and buying electric versions of any other tools you might need (except nailers, those will run off of a small compressor just fine). Until you get in the range of large 220 volt compressors, you're not going to get constant use out of most air tools, but you will with electric versions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anduril
My main concerns were getting something that's portable, oil-lubricated, and runs on 110 volts.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the small 3-gallon Craftsman

It has worked well for us during the past 6 years or so...

Ive tried a harbor freight 3 gallon pancake and wasnt impressed. I think I got it for about $15 on clearance, but the drain valve required pliers to open. I think it is exactly the same as the Craftsman Evolv and ive seen it in other stores in different colors/brands. Probably all made in the same factory.

I had a 6 gallon craftsman and it worked great for several years, better than some 6 gallon model from Meijer that blew out the site glass after 8-10 years of occasional use.

I recently snagged a couple craftsman dual tube 4 gallon compressors on clearance...rather have my 6 gallon one back, thought it might have had a small leak near the meter.

I say shoot for 6-10 gallons if you don't want to hear the compressor running constantly just to top off a few tires. Also check out Tractor supply...I think they carry ingersoll rand and they seem reasonable.

Filling tires? Seriously? Try a hand pump. A good, big bore bike pump will fill tires fast and be storable and transportable, and usable under all conditions. Plus it gives a bit of exercise.

I get the laziness factor playing in, btdt, but I revert back to the bike pump for everything but my truck that has 31" tires. And I'll do those by hand often too.

I blew out my bike pump recently and had to get a new one. PRobably from going to 100psi on skinny tires. And it was almost 10 years old.

I also use my compressor for filling air mattresses for guests. Rigged an adaptor with some kind of nozzle and duct tape.

Originally Posted By: Trav
At $200 it might be a little more than what y0u want to spend but the Makita is a great little machine.
It uses an oil lubed pump which is a huge difference. Home depot is $199 with free shipping to store for a new one other are selling them for $174 for refurb and no free shipping.

This one will last a long time.

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=MAC700

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-2-6-gal-2-HP-Portable-Electrical-Hot-Dog-Air-

This Mac 700 is really a quality compressor. I would highly recommend it.

Compressor-MAC700/202713487

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back