1988 CIVIC - DEXRON II ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1988 civic lx 4 door with 78,000 miles calls for Dexron 2 auto transmission fluid. No longer available.
I replaced the fluid 3 years ago with Honda DW-1 synthetic fluid.
Today the tranny slipped while coasting and no power !
I thought I lost the tranny.
It seems fine after I shifted into 3rd gear.

So what should I do? What fluid should I use now?
Should I buy some old stock Dexron II cans off of ebay ?
I read Honda auto transmissions of this vintage up till 1998 or so are very sensitive and built much differently than a typical auto transmission. So it is crucial to use correct fluid !

I FOUND THIS COMPANY STILL MAKES DEXRON II ?

http://www.mannol.de/en/?action=accessory_chemical_preview&name=Dexron II Automatic

image.jpg

Dexron 6 is the correct spec for Dexron 2 and 3 applications.

Here is a quote from a similar post about Dexron 3.

DexronVI is just a more shear stable version of DexronIII. It starts out at a lower KV100 but doesn't shear as much as the old mineral DexronIII would.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3014880/Improvements_in_DexronVI_over_

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
For DexVI, the friction modifier, metal deactivator and antioxidant chemistry's are more stable over a longer time duration.

What this does not mean is the level of additives is higher.

What this does mean is that the shifting performance and overall performance of the fluid will last longer, assuming no internal mechanical or hydraulic problems develop in the transmission.

Improved Metal inhibitors further keep the oil from oxidizing and forming varnishes.

DexVI is also much improved in the area of shear stability.

For a mineral-based Dexron III, the fluid may start out at 7.5 cST and shear down to 4.5 cSt within 30k miles.

For DexronVI, the fluid starts out at 6.0 cSt and may shear down to say 5.7 cSt.

The reason for the improved shear stability is due to two pieces of chemistry:

1. Some formulators use improved and highly stable VII polymers;
2. others use the new HM polymer esters not considered as VII chemistry.

As far as detergency, approximately the same amount of detergent chemistry is available in DexronVI as in DexronIII.

One of the reasons some manufacturers describe their DexronVI's as synthetic blends is that the DexronVI base oils are a mix of GroupIII, IV, and V oils.

The newer friction modifiers are not more "slippery." They have about the same friction coefficients as previous fluids, but are simply more stable over the life of the fluid.

Do you guys have older Honda's pre 1998 ?
If not then you wont know how well or bad the non dexron II fluid works !

Also, should I replace the DW-1 fluid ASAP ?

What do you think is in the Dexron II that is not in the currently offered Dex/merc or DexronVI offerings?

DW-1, Maxlife, Dex 6, Dex/Merc, are all superior to old school Mineral Dexron 2 that would shear down to a 4 cSt in no time quick.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
What do you think is in the Dexron II that is not in the currently offered Dex/merc or DexronVI offerings?

DW-1, Maxlife, Dex 6, Dex/Merc, are all superior to old school Mineral Dexron 2 that would shear down to a 4 cSt in no time quick.

Superior in what sense ? They are made for newer cars with tighter tolerances I assume !
The older Honda auto trannies are very sensitive like I said !

Originally Posted By: Robb.
Do you guys have older Honda's pre 1998 ?
If not then you wont know how well or bad the non dexron II fluid works !

Also, should I replace the DW-1 fluid ASAP ?

There is not much difference between the 1988 vintage units, and the ones they make now. All are basically clutch pack controlled manual transmissions. Yes, I have owned 10 Honda products myself, and turn my own wrenches including multiple AT rebuilds for friends and family.

There were many good recommendations made by others, but if you think the DW-1 (provided it is in good condition) had anything to do with the slip/flare in a 26 year old trans we can't help you much.

FWIW, Amsoil has a killer ATF for a DexIII spec. AMSOIL

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
That's because DexVI supersedes DexII.

Why ? Because Dex VI is for newer hondas !!
I bet Honda wants you to use the newer tranny fluid so it messes up an older Honda tranny, so in the end you buy a new Honda !

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Besides, you're due for a newer car anyway.

1988 is newer... than 1978. hahahaha

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
In any application that called for Dex/Merc, Dex - Dex3, I've replaced it with Maxlife ATF.

Cheap, Synthetic, really good
Exactly what kind of synthetic? GPIII? PAO?

Originally Posted By: Robb.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Superior in what sense ? They are made for newer cars with tighter tolerances I assume !
The older Honda auto trannies are very sensitive like I said !
Tighter clearances?

I don't have any info at hand, but I would search on here if anyone has some VOA of Dex II or III and compare those values to available Dex/Merc ATF of today.

Maybe Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc? I have no clue, just trying to help so don't fly off the handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back