Surprised but not really..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I changed the oil on my 2014 Honda Accord and yes I posted it in the thread "Post your latest oil change". I had both wheels up in the air using jack stands. I wanted to use my ramps but due to the lower bumper being as low as it is, I didn't want to scuff the bottom of it. So the engine was hot and I let it drain for the usual time. When I got to the filter I put the plug back in partially to work on the filter. After the filter was installed I pulled the plug and some trickled out. I always remove the oil cap and dipstick before it drains. After I filled it, checked for leaks and lowered it, I was down a 1/2 a quart with 4.50 quarts in. So I let it sit some and it was still short a 1/2 qt. So I added a 1/4 qt. and put it in the driveway for the night. Checked it in the morning and it was down a 1/4 qt. I just added the rest of the oil to make it full. Just curios as to why it took the extra half quart, So my questions are these:
Was the factory fill diluted with too much gas, thus thinning it out?
Does the Fram Ultra absorb more oil due to the media content?
Was this just because it was hot and up in the air?

I know it's only a half quart over per the manual and some on here don't care but it's that [censored] OCD I have. Lol. I apologize for the long post but I wanted to give a detailed explanation so nothing was left out. Thanks in advance, Steve.

I've had several Honda dipsticks read low after changing the oil and filling to what the manual calls for-

Actually, I wouldn't call it low it was smack dap in the middle of the dipstick readings -therefore safe.
So it must be a safe zone. (1 qt )

When Honda says "capacity is 4.5qts"...that is the amount of oil that puts you right between the two marks on the dipstick.

That is the way they deliver cars. If you want to reach the "top" mark? Add that extra 1/2 quart. My CR-V calls for 4.5qts, I put in 5 and go!

I've done a lot of oil changes when I worked at the quick lube and at times we would do a whole car by ourselves. These we're below ground acces so the car was on even ground. Every Honda that called for 4.50 quarts, took 4.50 quarts to get to the top line. My car was full on oil when I checked it at the dealership before I drove it home.

Next time drive it around the block a couple of times, maybe go to the gas station and fill up. Then turn it off and check after a couple of minutes. I've found that certain cars are different to check and some you have to wait 5 or more minutes for the oil to drain back into the pan.

The manual vs dipstick can be off, as you have just found out.

FYI, on my wife's Acura, I like to "slightly" overfill on the dipstick by about 2 millimeters or so. The car goes about 8K miles between changes and I don't have to add any additional oil if I "slightly" overfill it at oil change time.

I checked it when it was cold and then I I checked it after I let it sit after work which is about a 11 mile trip. I checked it this morning when it was dead cold and she's right at the top. I guess 5 qts it is.

It's because you changed the oil on an incline. A cylinder head holds a lot of oil in all the nooks and crannies. When I change the oil on my Ecotec 2.2 flat (on a hoist) it takes 4.5-4.75 qts to get to the max fill line on the dipstick; when I change oil on an incline (ramps or stands) it takes the full 5 qt jug to get to the max fill line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back