Mobil Delvac 5w-40 OK for 2009 Audi Q7 TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New member, long time browser.

I just picked up a Q7 TDI and am very new to diesels.

The dealership I bought the Q7 from (Chevy dealer) used Mobil 1 Delvac 5w-40 before delivery for an oil change. I am concerned because of the ash content. It's at 1.0 when I know most VW/Audi 507 spec oils, specifically the Castrol 5w-30 LL03 is listed at 0.6
Will the Delvac cause issues with my DPF? I have heard nothing bad about Delvac, but I don't know if it will work in my application. Anyone run it in a 3.0 L TDI?

Oil has about 2,000 miles on it. Don't know if it's wise to switch it out for say the Mobil 1 5w-30 ESP. Which may be hard to find since supposedly it's discontinued. I live in Utah were Temps don't usually get below freezing for very long but obviously it does get cold.

Any guidance and advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Does it require VW507? If so, you should be using that.

I don't recall 5w-30 ESP being discontinued; it is still on the M1 website. The 5W-40 is continued; that is not a 507 oil.

Last edited:
Yes it is supposed to be using a 507 spec oil, but seeing how it is out of warranty and that there are many oils that likely meet 507 spec that aren't "approved", I figured I'd gauge what you more experienced users are doing.

But maybe it is better just to change it to be on the safe side...

use real diesel oil, delvac good choice. Any 5w40 delo or rotella good stuff. look at some of the 5w30 uoa on diesels, they scare me.

Not only is the ash in Delvac 1 (I assume it is the ESP version) 1.0% but the phosphorus limit is 1200ppm, whereas the limit for all the ACEA C3 oils including VW 507 is about 800ppm.
Which is why I am using Delvac 1 LE 5W30 in my 2009 BMW
X5 35d. The higher ash will cause the DPF to fill up quicker (but it burns zero oil) but the P content won't damage the SCR convertor any faster than the specified oil.
The reason I use the D1 LE is for the much higher TBN; the factory oil turns very acidic after 10-11K mi and my Fe numbers on UOAs are starting to drop on the Delvac.
Bottom line: if you are going to use Delvac in a new "clean" diesel car, IMHO the D1 LE 5W30 is preferable.

Charlie

Teedoff, don't continue using that Mobil product. While it is an incredible product, it isn't the correct product for your application.

It makes no difference whether your vehicle is in warranty or not, excessive lubricant-derived ash will contaminate the DPF (diesel particulate filter) much quicker than the recommended low-SAPS product.

USE THE CORRECT AND RECOMMENDED LUBRICANTS FOR THIS ENGINE. Use VW 507.00 labeled products. Which brand you choose is irrelevant. It's the builder approved rating that is important.

Originally Posted By: FowVay

USE THE CORRECT AND RECOMMENDED LUBRICANTS FOR THIS ENGINE. Use VW 507.00 labeled products. Which brand you choose is irrelevant. It's the builder approved rating that is important.

+1, particularly for late model VW TDI applications.

Any oil you find with VW 507.00 approval will be more than suitable for your application, regardless of brand.

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I'll get this stuff switched out as son as my filters get here next week. I think I'm going to try the Mobil ESP as others seem to get good VOAs from it.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back