Are there any benefits to using gas additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what the problem is with gasoline DI that diesel DI doesn't seem to have. There must be some design flaws of something, as it is not uncommon to run a diesel to a million miles and not ever have to "clean" intake valves and such, yet there always seems to be issues with gasoline intake valves on DI engines. If one had to guess, it might be in the PCV design more than anything. Very few gasoline engines have CCV oil separation filters like diesels do. Yes, diesels, since at least 2007 have closed CCV systems just like gas engines.

Probably a good idea to run a CCV catch can to capture the minute particles of oil that migrate thru the PCV line to the intake and cut any potential intake problems down. I put one on my 2013 port injected 5.3L in my pickup and it has captured a little over an ounce of oil every 1000 miles. And my engine is not unique. Check many of the Mopar, Ford, GM forums around, especially the high performance varieties. They talk about the same thing.

Normally I would dismiss the catch can reference. Yet some here with DI motors claim they do nothing on their engine either. It is a certainty that DI needs some development with some mfgrs.

Not yet clear if a catch can is the end all be all wonder boy fix it is always represented as. I have one vehicle here that uses one, it's an 850 hp blown 572 Chevy in a boat.

But the facts are that millions and millions of cars run every day without a CC and do just fine for many many miles. Simply a "want" not a "need"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back