02 Civic LX D17A1 - Mobil 1 EP vs. Castrol Edge EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car has the smallest sump size of any car I've owned. 3.7 quarts w/ filter.

Would any adverse effects come out of running a EP oil for 15K OCI on a Honda filter? I'd also appreciate any opinions on M1 vs Castrol in 5w-20.

150k miles

What type of driving do you do? If its all short trips, there is no way I would run a 15K OCI. If you get it up to temp every now and then, go for it! I would recommend the Fram Ultra for such a long OCI. It is rated at 15K and is available for under $9 at WM. As far as M1 vs Castrol...both will do the job, but I would prefer the M1.

I would suggest running the OCI called for in the manual first, 7,500 mi. Then do a UOA to see if you could extend it from there. I would run M1, that is my preference but either would do fine.

Last edited:
EDGE EP. It has a stronger additive package, stronger TBN, and better results in a TEOST comparison.

The Honda filter will go 15k no problem. You could probably get away with 15k on the oil if you do a lot of highway driving, if not, stay at 10k. In both cases make sure to keep that baby topped off if it's using some along the way...which is likely. Both oils are fine. California, in general, is easy on oil....stuck in traffic on the 405 an exception.

My girlfriend has a 2001 with the same engine and it seems to be very easy on oil. Putting in 3.5 quarts (instead of the recommended 3.7) brings it right up to the full line for me. We haven't had it for very long but we plan to change it every 5,000 miles with a name brand 5W-20 that's on sale. We did the first oil change at 3,000 miles since it was in there for 8 months. First oil change was with Gulf 5W-20 from the dealer and the 2nd was done with Quaker State 5W-20. I believe Honda recommends changing the filter every other oil change, so I'd think 15k would be do-able if the conditions are right.

Thanks all.

I do about 50/50 stop-n-go and freeway driving. It will get up to operating temperature at least once daily.

I think I will go with the Castrol Edge EP (gold bottle) for a 10k OCI and then perhaps a UOA when time comes. I will be sure to share it with you all if that happens.

Originally Posted By: AndrewD
This car has the smallest sump size of any car I've owned. 3.7 quarts w/ filter.

Would any adverse effects come out of running a EP oil for 15K OCI on a Honda filter? I'd also appreciate any opinions on M1 vs Castrol in 5w-20.

150k miles

Usually when you extend the OCI you change the oil filter so that you can add more fresh engine oil (without dropping the sump oil) when you top up and thus replenish the additives.

Vehicle OEMs usually increase sump capacity despite what Mobil Castrol or others claim just by using a specific oil in the lineup or brand for extended drain.

If your vehicle is not designed for extended OCIs I would err on the side of caution and follow the maximum allowable under the OEM recommendations for the given driving conditions.

Oil is cheap and now days it is recyled.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AndrewD
Thanks, owners manual states 10k / 1yr under "normal" conditions.

It also says filter every other change (20,000).

I have gone 14,250 miles on the Castrol 5W-20 EP (1/2qt added) / BOSCH 3323 filter since July. I just serviced them with Mobil 1 5W-20 EP / Honda OE (Toyo Roki)and plan to go at least 12,500 on this combo. I will post the Blackstone results for the Castrol when it comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back