How long did you go on factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car was produced on 2/14 and when I purchased it the odometer read 36 miles. They had a new car lot a little bit away because they we're building a new dealership. Now if the car sat for a year or close to it I would've dropped it at the year interval regardless of mileage.

I don't get why one would wait until 1,000miles to change if they are worried. Why not right after getting home, and then after 100miles if it glittered or 1,000miles if the FF didn't glitter? Seems like 1,000miles on FF is a rather long time to be running with unknown quality oil.

[If one is worried that is.]

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Special break in oil hogwash.

Wear in metals are abrasive.

This is emphatically not true on factory cars. Find more than one UOA on a factory fill that states a change is recommended due to the abrasive wear metals.

The brand new ones I have bought, I take them off the lot after delivery, Get the oil warm and do about dozen 3/4 throttle pulls from about 20-80 mph on freeway, then drive home dump the oil.

in 2 of the 3 the oil have been in them at least 8 months because they had sat on the lot, the other had been ordered.

I then change the oil at 500, 1500, 5000 and then synthetic.

to me oil is cheap, also dont buy the [censored] there is some magic elixer in the factory fill since I know from talking to head reliablity engineer at Chrysler that in the 90s they bought bulk 5w-30 for factory fill at 8 cents a qt, nothing special in it LOL

I doubt today it is any different unless your buying performance stuff like SRT or vettte and what not.

YRMV do what you want.

Last edited:
Unfortunately advice from the 90's might as well be eons ago. But I'd be the first to say it's your vehicle to do whatever you desire...

That may be, but changing it too often doesnt hurt anything and I have toured a couple plants and to see what those guys do on the chassis dyno at the end when they fire em is interesting.

Originally Posted By: Droopy
Hello everyone. Not looking for advice since my mind is pretty much made up but I was wondering how long some of you went on your initial factory fill? I've got a 2014 Honda Accord sport with the 2.4 4cyl. I purchased the car on April 19th with 36 miles on it and it has around 3200 miles on it. I'm going to drop it around 3500 or so since it's seen some really short trips(daughter to school), some medium highway trips of around 7 miles and now I'm doing about 11 miles one way which is mostly highway. As expected the oil does have a strong gas odor and my OLM is at 60%. Of course like most people who frequent on here I've got the itch to change it just because. Going to run M1 AFE with a Fram Ultra. Just curious to see when you guys drained the original factory fill? I know Honda's factory fill contains a lot of moly from assembly but to me it's just oil and I'm pretty sure the engine has initially wore in.
The engine machining has drastically changed over the years due to the emission laws and emission warranty. Years ago new engine oil would be really sparkly theses days not as much . Look at the new car uoas and you will see higher wear metals due to the higher wear patterns form the break in process. If you turn over your vehicles don't change it if you keep them till they die change the oil and filter.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
2009 Honda Fit - 10,500 miles

I was told explicitly by the salesman not to change it early, that the FF was part of the special break in process.
Believe a car salesman????

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
2009 Honda Fit - 10,500 miles

I was told explicitly by the salesman not to change it early, that the FF was part of the special break in process.
Believe a car salesman????

Well, after about 6k miles and the MM was only at 50% or so, I took the car in for an oil change thinking something was up. The service writer told me it didn't need the change and to leave it in until it was under 20%. He said it wasn't uncommon to go more than 10k miles. So I did what I was told.

I have since learned that early changes of FF aren't really necessary with modern engines so I don't feel bad about what I did.

From here:

"Additionally, some drivers think they need to change a new vehicle’s oil more frequently than recommended in order to flush out potentially damaging metallic particles that are formed during the break-in process. According to Misangyi there is no need to do this. He said there’s been “a five-fold reduction in engine wear metals in the last 30 years,” no doubt thanks to more precise manufacturing techniques and better lubricants."

Last edited:
I took a FF oil sample at 104 miles on my Wrangler when it was brand new, without actually changing the FF oil at that time. Then changed FF at 684 miles.

Notice how at only 104 miles the amount of wear metals is already a half of what it is after a 4,522 mile run on the second oil. But also observe that analysis of my 4th oil at 15,920 ODO after a 5,815 mile OCI shows wear metals higher than universal averages.

Did the early FF flush lead to lower wear at 16K? Hmmmm... I guess not. Now I am thinking it may be beneficial to run FF for a full recommended OCI to help engine break in faster, and possibly better. Because fine metal particles will help to polish the internals of the engine.

Maybe it's like sanding. You start with heavier grain and progress to lower grain sand paper. Start with fine sand paper and you are left with smooth bumps. I don't know. The engine doesn't have any oil consumption, so I guess it's ok. It's just taking longer to finally break in. Although, the reason I changed FF at 684 miles is because manual states the engine is broken in by 500 miles. Can't wait to see how it will look at 25K-30K miles.

AF8iPi1.jpg

I changed the FF in my 2014 Mustang GT at around 4,600 miles with 43% on the OLM. I changed it right at the year mark of the manufacturer's build date of the car which was about six months after I bought it. My OM says to not exceed 10,000 miles or one year and to use the OLM.

I'm right at 5,700 miles into the first oil chance and 40% on the OLM. I plan on changing it again in February which is the month it was built and it will more than likely have less than 10,000 miles on the oil change.

I'm using Motorcraft 5W-20 and the correct Motorcraft oil filter.

This is the first new vehicle that I've owned where I have waited so long to change the FF and is the first vehicle that I've gone 5,700 miles without changing the oil so this is new territory for me.

The oil still looks pretty new and at about 10,300 miles on the car, I have minimal oil consumption so I guess what I've been doing isn't hurting anything.

Wayne

Not to get in the middle of an argument over religion, but why is the "get the iron filings out of there as soon as possible!" Point of view limited to the engine? I'd say that there's a better case to be made for changing the differential oil early since it has no filter. Even the most conscientious have no trouble letting the transmission go 12k miles.

Wasn't for me. I changed out every thing, trans, tranfer, diffs, engine all before the pickup turned 3000 miles. Engine got done first, at 1000 miles.

Same here, changed FF engine, front and back differential oil at 684 miles. Changed FF manual transmission and transfer case oil at 950 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back